Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2023, 02:55 AM   #1
MCP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Hardwire EMS/EPO

I have a 2023 Tellaro 20k with the 2x100ah Lithium and no generator. I'm planning on installing a hardwired surge protector EMS rather than use a portable. I did this previously on a Class C and I liked the convenience of it. In looking at installation options there is not a ton of available space. Although I can probably squeeze it in before the Southwire ATS, I'm thinking of simply replacing the ATS. The ATS does not function as a transfer switch because I have no generator. A Hughes Autoformer EPO (or Progressive Industries EMS) will, I believe, provide all the necessary functions. The ATS currently provides only reverse polarity and open ground protection, however there is a signal connection to the RVMaster node. Not sure if I can just abandon that connection or if it will show continuously as a fault. Any thoughts? Or am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-07-2023, 03:55 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
No generator....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:03 PM   #3

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I have a 20L, so not familiar with where stuff is, but there are a ton of FB posts about folks installing surge protectors internally (search FB Sequence and Tellaro Owners and Wannabes). There were costs anywhere from the high hundreds $$ to $75. They don't seem that large, probably find a place close to the inverter to squirrel one in.

There was one that might make it to my list of mods, think it had a bulldog on the label, had BT, data logging, for no other good reason than to satisfy the geek in me.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:16 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #28560
In the 20L I’ll remove the water filter, use an external filter and put in a progressive dynamic in the filter area. They have a small display I can mount by the fridge. Can probably skip the display if I can mount it where I can see the internal display from the filter access hole.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:41 AM   #5
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Here's a long post for you.

I ended up going with the Power Watchdog EPO. Easy to install with adequate room and I was able to clean up some wiring. However, when fired up, it immediately triggered a a fault signal from the Southwire ATS and to the RVMaster panel. There was no fault on the Watchdog but the power was stopped at the ATS. My first thought was that the Watchdog was somehow "too fast" in analyzing the conditions (4 seconds compared to +/- 2 minutes on others) and somehow triggered the ATS for either reverse polarity or open ground.

I then simply by-passed the ATS (I have no generator) and it worked. Inverter/charger powered up and there were no faults. The Watchdog will pick up the usual faults including those the ATS was designed to. I decided to do some testing to confirm.The Watchdog picked up on reverse polarity as did my portable Progressive Industries EMS. However, neither detected the open ground which I had disconnected at the shore power source. Both detected the open ground if the output side was not connected to the inverter/charger. But when connected, only the portable EMS would detect it. The Watchdog would not. It's as if the Watchdog is simply missing it or is somehow sensing a good ground because of a bonded neutral on the outlet side. If that makes any sense. However, that would seem to defeat the purpose of detecting an open ground on the shore power side.

I have a couple of calls in to the Watchdog people (Hughes Autoformers) but have not heard back yet.

Seeing as how the portable Progressive Industries EMS seems to work appropriately, I may just switch to their hardwire version with the remote display although I do like the bluetooth feature and lower cost of the Watchdog.

Any insight would be appreciated or if you are planning something similar, let me know the outcome.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-19-2023, 02:41 AM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #28560
I installed the watch dog in place of the Southwire. I haven’t had any issues but also didn’t troubleshoot anything. I’ve replaced the Mastervolt with Victron so I’ll be interested to hear what you find out.