Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #26172
Roof leak in Sanctuary

Hi

Has anyone else had a roof leak in a brand new 2022 Sanctuary? Ours started leaking as soon as we got it home. Help please! We are seeing water dripping on the drivers side bunk from above the window and through the cabinet above the bunk.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:39 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyjakejake View Post
Hi

Has anyone else had a roof leak in a brand new 2022 Sanctuary? Ours started leaking as soon as we got it home. Help please! We are seeing water dripping on the drivers side bunk from above the window and through the cabinet above the bunk.

Being brand new you should be able to get it covered under warranty but I think leaks only are covered for 90 days. After that you (or someone) will just have to get up there and crawl around looking for gaps, cracks and unsealed fixtures and such. Actually, you should do that two or three times a year because leaks tend to develop somewhat regularly. I spend an hour or so every few months on the roof and on a ladder looking for smooth, even unbroken beads of caulk around every window, light fixture, seam and penetration. Use approved self leveling lap sealant on the roof and urethane caulk on the sides. Don’t use silicone. Also don’t delay. Water is relentless and can do great damage in a very short time.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
I have not experienced any leaks however shortly after I purchased the Sanctuary I did notice that the bathroom drain vent was poorly sealed on the roof and could have lead to a leak so I added sealant. As the previous poster indicated, this is something every RV owner should do at least a couple times a year.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:34 AM   #4

THOR #26172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Being brand new you should be able to get it covered under warranty but I think leaks only are covered for 90 days. After that you (or someone) will just have to get up there and crawl around looking for gaps, cracks and unsealed fixtures and such. Actually, you should do that two or three times a year because leaks tend to develop somewhat regularly. I spend an hour or so every few months on the roof and on a ladder looking for smooth, even unbroken beads of caulk around every window, light fixture, seam and penetration. Use approved self leveling lap sealant on the roof and urethane caulk on the sides. Don’t use silicone. Also don’t delay. Water is relentless and can do great damage in a very short time.
Thanks so much! Can you recommend brands of sealant you use?
Old 03-26-2022, 01:13 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
It's brand new, it's within the 90 day "roof" warranty. Why isn't it back at the dealer already?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:24 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:

I use Dicor (brand) self leveling lap sealant on the roof. It is “self leveling” so it flows nicely. Top tip: use it when the temp is moderate and not in hot sun. For vertical surfaces I use a clear sealant called Lexel. It’s not as user friendly as silicone because it’s really sticky but it sticks like the dickens. Dicor also makes a non leveling sealant that works well. Do a thorough inspection and if there is any doubt at all seal it up. Water is REALLY bad. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:28 AM   #7

THOR #26172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's brand new, it's within the 90 day "roof" warranty. Why isn't it back at the dealer already?
Dealer has already attempted one repair that failed.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:30 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
I may be wrong, but I don't think they use lap sealant on the roof of a Sanctuary VAN.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:32 AM   #9

THOR #26172
Angry

Quote:
I use Dicor (brand) self leveling lap sealant on the roof. It is “self leveling” so it flows nicely. Top tip: use it when the temp is moderate and not in hot sun. For vertical surfaces I use a clear sealant called Lexel. It’s not as user friendly as silicone because it’s really sticky but it sticks like the dickens. Dicor also makes a non leveling sealant that works well. Do a thorough inspection and if there is any doubt at all seal it up. Water is REALLY bad. Good luck.
I was reading Dicor’s literature. Do you wash the roof before sealing? And how do I know what my roof is made of? Sorry to keep asking questions but this has been an overall terrible experience.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:48 AM   #10

THOR #26172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think they use lap sealant on the roof of a Sanctuary VAN.
Would Thor customer service tell me whether or not to use lap sealant on my roof?
Old 03-26-2022, 01:54 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Would Thor customer service tell me whether or not to use lap sealant on my roof?
I would think yes, they should recommend the proper sealant for your roof.
But if it is new the dealer needs to fix it
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #12

THOR #26172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I would think yes, they should recommend the proper sealant for your roof.
But if it is new the dealer needs to fix it
Dealer has tried once and it didn’t work.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:10 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Call Thor and ask for an alternative warranty repair location or even for a mobile repair service to come to you. Unlike most of the other RVs here you have a van with the manufacturer's installed roof. Thor just put holes in it to mount equipment. They should have used butyl tape and lap sealant around these installs but you need to determine which hole is not sealed before throwing lap sealant all over the roof. It may require removing the equipment to seal it properly.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Have 2 maxair II vents put on last week.
Kurt my 30 year tech inspected the roof free of charge and placed Dicor (brand) self leveling lap sealant on the roof.
Also anything he thought was silicone he removed and added Dicor (brand) self leveling lap sealant on the roof

Good luck
Old 03-26-2022, 07:26 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Thanks just ordered Lexel!

Products That Work
No need to buy various caulk products to cover different jobs, or worry whether your caulk will actually stick to that weird surface. Lexel is like the "duct tape" of caulk. You can use it for any project knowing it will stick without failure. It's crystal clear and won't yellow for a flawless finish. Try Lexel on the following building materials:

Aluminum, Anodized Windows, Brass & Steel
ABS, Acrylic Sheet, Fiberglass, and Lexan
Nylon, Plexiglass, Polycarbonate, and Polystyrene
PVC, Urethane, and Vinyl
Asphalt, Brick, Cinder Block, Concrete, and Corian
Cultured Marble, Drywall, Fiber Cement, and Formica
Glass, Mortar, Porcelain, and Stone
Stucco, Tile and Wood
Old 03-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #16

Model: Sanctuary 19P
State: Michigan
THOR #23950
I had to do some repairs to the Winegard antenna dome after a branch whacked it, and I noticed that the sealant (black Dicor) was bad at the 4 screws holding the antenna to the roof. The screws are recessed and they had put sealant over them without releasing the trapped air bubbles right above the screws, leaving a very thin film of sealant and air gap over each screw. The sealant was already broken and could have started a leak there, sounds like about the same spot as you described so you might want to check those screws closely or just re-seal them anyway.

I was doing other work on the roof to add branch deflectors to protect the Winegard etc. and had a bunch of new spots to seal, so it was simple to scrape off the bubbled sealant and re-seal those screws with new Dicor, poking it to release any trapped air. To ensure good adhesion I cleaned the areas with mineral spirits first and let it dry well before applying new sealant. No leaks.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Hi

ETERNA BOND---GET IT!!!!! Unless you want to waste your time going to the dealer and them probably NOT FIXING IT, buy a roll of 4" Eterna Bond and go to work taping up every seam, vent, cap edge and every joint on your roof. You will NEVER have another leak!!!! Just be sure when you lay it down it's where you want it, cause it AIN'T COMIN UP!!!! I Love this stuff....Don't leave home without it; BOB TRICE
Old 03-30-2022, 09:10 PM   #18

THOR #9553
Quote:
DICOR is a sealant that they use at the factory. Why would you go back with something that has already proven to be CRAP!!! Get the Eterna Bond tape and never have another leak; BOB TRICE
Old 03-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #19

THOR #9553
Quote:
Dealer has already attempted one repair that failed.

SEE' I told ya
Old 03-30-2022, 09:23 PM   #20

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:

Quit screwing around with the dealer. Most dealers aren't going to fix it right... or even find the root cause.

You need to call the Thor Warranty Service and get an appointment with the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa. They will find the root cause and fix it better than any dealer. Then they will run it through the Factory Rain Center (which is like the coach sitting in a Tropical Storm in Florida) to look for any other leaks and make sure they fixed your original leak.

Then.... forget the Dicor if that is what your roof uses for sealing. Dicor will require you to go onto the roof and inspect it regularly and add more Dicor over time. Wash... rinse.... repeat.

As mentioned above...... When I get a new coach, I order a couple rolls of EternaBond Tape with a couple different widths. Then I clean the roof and once it is thoroughly dry, I cover all of the Dicor... every seam and entry point on the roof with the EternaBond Tape. I overlap the Dicor and the roof. Then no more roof maintenance..... ever.... other than cleaning the roof once a year.