RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Virginia
Posts: 57
THOR #19558
Hooking up Cable in Park to the RV

Howdy again. The trip to WY is going great, and we decided tonight to watch a little cable tv courtesy of KOA, Wakeeney Kansas. And now the question.


I cannot get any cable tv channels on the tv in our Freedom Elite. I have the cable plugged into the outside, have the tv on HDMI 1/cable but when I scan there is nothing. What am I doing wrong?


(I am betting Bob Denman knows exactly what to do!


John
__________________

__________________
John and Carol and Daisy the Wonder Dog
US Army Retired
2021 Freedom Elite 26HE, the "RITA V"
Our other toy: a Cessna 182Q, N182MM
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:40 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,922
THOR #8860
Bob is also stumped.
What other input sources are available?
__________________

__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:42 AM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Virginia
Posts: 57
THOR #19558
Knew I could count on you.
TV
Component/AV
HDMI 1
HDMI3
VGA
Media


I have tried HDMI 1, Component and TV
__________________
John and Carol and Daisy the Wonder Dog
US Army Retired
2021 Freedom Elite 26HE, the "RITA V"
Our other toy: a Cessna 182Q, N182MM
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 127
THOR #9178
Try other combinations on the switch unless you're positive on that location

You're TV will need the source changed
__________________
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:45 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 127
THOR #9178
Antenna booster off as well on some hookups
__________________
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 127
THOR #9178
I am from South of Oakley so you're in my old stomping grounds
__________________
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 127
THOR #9178
Once you get the correct combination write it down
__________________
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Virginia
Posts: 57
THOR #19558
Well, thank you to everyone but mostly to DW. She googled it, and came up on the booster too and when I stepped out to look at the connection she was merrily up in the overhead looking for the mysterious button. Sure enough. Right there on the Coax connection in the cupboard there is a little green light. So I pressed it, and VOILA! the tv works.



Whee...I really appreciate everything that everyone said to help.


And thank you to DW for EVERYTHNG!!!!!
__________________
John and Carol and Daisy the Wonder Dog
US Army Retired
2021 Freedom Elite 26HE, the "RITA V"
Our other toy: a Cessna 182Q, N182MM
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:55 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,922
THOR #8860
I knew I'd see it: external antenna booster off...
You owe her a really nice dinner!
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 29G
State: California
Posts: 2
THOR #19810
Cable TV connected but snowy reception

I had the same problem and the little green button help get connected but now the stations are very snowy. I replaced the coax cable with a new one. Same concern. Any ideas?
__________________
gstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Have the same issues on our rig, and had a KOA tech verify the issue, with 42 channels strong at the pole and nothing to our TV's. He actually built us a new coax for the pole to rig, thinking that it could be a Cat 5/6 problem, but alas, it's something in the coach that's not right. Obviously something isn't connected, but haven't dug into it deep enough yet to determine the issue.


Different than you though...our booster is on.
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #12
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,186
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
Have the same issues on our rig, and had a KOA tech verify the issue, with 42 channels strong at the pole and nothing to our TV's. He actually built us a new coax for the pole to rig, thinking that it could be a Cat 5/6 problem, but alas, it's something in the coach that's not right. Obviously something isn't connected, but haven't dug into it deep enough yet to determine the issue.


Different than you though...our booster is on.
Coax TV cable and Ethernet CAT5/6 cable are two completely separate animals.

There is no CAT5/6 cable in your RV associated with cable TV.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
Posts: 169
THOR #16693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Coax TV cable and Ethernet CAT5/6 cable are two completely separate animals.

There is no CAT5/6 cable in your RV associated with cable TV.

My apologies...I was 5 glasses of vino in and in error. RG58/RG6
__________________
David & Danna
2020 Magnitude BH35
Midlothian, TX
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 163
THOR #19133
Booster has to be off. It's for the over the air channels only. You need to verify your cable run inside the rig. Check all connections and verify no little strands of ground touching the center conductor. If you have any splitters, bypass for the moment and verify your signal strength at the TV.
__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 29G
State: California
Posts: 2
THOR #19810
Booster is off. Checked all know connections and tightened. Removed wall plate for interior cable receptacle with Booster shut off button and checked & tightened 3 cables connections and 1 plug. Ran cable coax direct to TV great reception. There may be a splitter somewhere else but i have not found it. Thor 29G.
__________________
gstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 1,060
THOR #13362
As discussed many times on his Forum...
If you have a Seiki or Axxera TV, and you are connected to a cable that requires a QAM tuner, then you will have problems.
Seiki and Axxera TVs do not have the required QAM tuner.

If you get clear over the air reception, then your cable connections are probably working correctly.
__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #17
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,186
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstan View Post
Booster is off. Checked all know connections and tightened. Removed wall plate for interior cable receptacle with Booster shut off button and checked & tightened 3 cables connections and 1 plug. Ran cable coax direct to TV great reception. There may be a splitter somewhere else but i have not found it. Thor 29G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
As discussed many times on his Forum...
If you have a Seiki or Axxera TV, and you are connected to a cable that requires a QAM tuner, then you will have problems.
Seiki and Axxera TVs do not have the required QAM tuner.

If you get clear over the air reception, then your cable connections are probably working correctly.
Apparently NOT his problem.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 4000
State: Utah
Posts: 259
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcarols View Post
Well, thank you to everyone but mostly to DW. She googled it, and came up on the booster too and when I stepped out to look at the connection she was merrily up in the overhead looking for the mysterious button. Sure enough. Right there on the Coax connection in the cupboard there is a little green light. So I pressed it, and VOILA! the tv works.



Whee...I really appreciate everything that everyone said to help.


And thank you to DW for EVERYTHNG!!!!!

@ Bob Denman did you send those "positive waves" over there?
GVP
__________________
GVP-The Boxcar Children is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,922
THOR #8860
I ws keeping my fingers crossed...

But no matter how you slice it:
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
Posts: 163
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstan View Post
Booster is off. Checked all know connections and tightened. Removed wall plate for interior cable receptacle with Booster shut off button and checked & tightened 3 cables connections and 1 plug. Ran cable coax direct to TV great reception. There may be a splitter somewhere else but i have not found it. Thor 29G.
I would get a butt connector for RG6 and bypass the 'booster'. It is in fact a combiner, and can go bad.
__________________

__________________
HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×