Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
As much as I like van campers, objectively there is a huge difference in space between the largest vans and an Axis 24.1. For this reason I have suggested a few times that Thor should consider offering a smaller “Axis” Class A that splits the difference in total size between these two choices; not just length.

Largest vans today are commonly under 500 cubic feet of volume, and an Axis 24.1 is closer to 1,000 cubic feet if compared equally. So while the longest Sprinter van at 24+ feet in length may be 95% as long as an Axis, the living volume is closer to 50%. Any van “feels” a lot smaller than an Axis because it is.

In my opinion Thor should offer a shorter and narrower Axis similar in footprint size to Winnebago EKKO. I would start by keeping OEM chassis at 158-inch and NOT stretch wheelbase (saves cost), and would remove side-wall taper and make entire coach uniform at 87 inches wide (saves more cost) which should also look better. Mostly, I’d add gear/bike garage under twin beds.

My point here is that a compact Class A in the 23-foot-long range would still be much roomier than van campers, yet by virtue of being smaller than an Axis 24.1, would have some of the advantages of a van. And if built slide-less like the EKKO, could keep cost below that of many vans, while improving fuel economy, maneuverability, parking, etc. over present-size Axis/Vegas.

With high fuel costs, why not offer a smaller and more fuel efficient Class A based on E-350? If they do it right, could also gain at least 500 pounds of OCCC. In my opinion there is a middle ground between Axis and vans that could be successful at right price.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:39 PM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
Obviously B class RV's come in many sizes as well I have personally toured B-vans from 17.9'(thor 18M, 18A) to 24.5' (Airstream Interstate 24GT). The floorpan/layout really makes the difference when it comes to small spaces. When the EU revolution starts later this year or early next year, you'll start to see some really unique designs that make a B-class feel bigger than a B+.

BTW I just posted a video of the Thor Vegas 24.1 A-Class RV ... not much bigger than some of the larger B-class RVs
What is EU revolution???
Old 06-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #63

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
EU revolution
seems to be a political statement about how we need European influence to save us from ourselves.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #64

State: Texas
THOR #2121
No amount of political spin or double talk will make a B-class van feel bigger than a B+ in my opinion — short of someone coming out with new cargo van model nearly the size of small Class A.

Granted, if one only compares the very smallest Class B+ to our largest van campers, then yes, in that context it would be true. But that assumes smaller B+, not larger Bs. That comparison would be un-American.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #65

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hey 22,000 thor vegas..we love..travel to at least 23 states. Few issues. go THOR
Have had ours about a month (and 4000 miles) with very few issues. Quality of some of the equipment is not on par with some other manufacturers but knew that going in and given the price differential not disappointed. Quality of furniture compared to the class A Monaco would be the main complaint. No other real quality issues and the electronics (3000 watt inverter) is better than what we had in the class A. Some other manufacturers are using a 1000 watt model. Big difference. Thor customer service has been great and no complaints. The dealer, not so much but not Thor's fault... Thor customer service actually answers their phone and will provide information as needed.
Coming from a 40ft class A diesel, I am very happy with this and would not go back to anything bigger. We started with a travel trailer, moved to a large 5th wheel, then the Class A and all purchased new. We like this best compared to the work and on-going maintenance of all the others. I used to say a "short prayer" prior to moving the full wall slide on the class A. Maintenance and up-keep compared to all the others is simple. Not to mention ready to go in a moments notice.
This will see much more use than any of the others. Cost comparison is no where close to the on-going expenses of the class A. Tires alone on that cost about $3600 not to mention, insurance, annual maintenance, taxes, and diesel at $2 more per gallon at 7mpg. If was going to full-time again, which we did for a short time in the class A, may consider that again but short of that no way.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:42 PM   #66

State: Alabama
THOR #22773
By EU revolution I mean using some unique engineering and design elements I have seen is some EU RVs. For example the wingman Oasi 540 is less than 18 feet but felt bigger inside than some B+ RVs I have reviewed. So it is smaller than 95% of the Class B out there but feels bigger inside than any other B van I have ever been in.