Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
How do you like your class B?

We are thinking of going from our class c to a class b. How do you all like yours? What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Any issues that you are having or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-26-2022, 12:04 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
We are thinking of going from our class c to a class b. How do you all like yours? What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Any issues that you are having or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Love our Thor Tranquility! We’ve had a lot of different camping rigs in the past…class C, trailers, tent trailers. This is our favorite. We get 15-18 mpg (diesel). Can park it anywhere. We have seen 14 in the worst conditions and 19 in the best. Definitely will have to downsize personal items, storage is limited. But we also enjoy backpacking so it wasn’t that hard. Bathrooms! If you enjoy a nice roomy bathroom, you’ll be disappointed [emoji23]
Old 05-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
What’s not to like except for small size and associated limited capacities?

There is less living space, less storage, less fresh water, less holding tank capacities, etc. However, by accepting “less” space and capacities, owners get many advantages that may or may not be important to others. Trade offs are extremely subjective depending on wants and needs.

I can list a few advantages “important to me” compared to previous Class C, in no particular order:

Park at home
Use as second car
Doubled fuel economy
Much easier to service and maintain
Park anywhere
Drive places large motorhomes can not
Easier to drive (less tiring)
Requires less trip planning
Don’t require toad
Quieter
Fits in any campsite
Easier to wash
Full body paint standard
Lower overall cost
Fewer/no leaks
Etc....

From my perspective everything about a van-size RV is better except for lack of space and associated capacities, and no one else can judge how much another person needs or wants. My wife and I are both relatively small and don’t need a lot of space, and more importantly don’t mind working around each other to move around. We also tour more than camp, which makes big difference. Also, in my opinion, level of vehicle build luxury is irrelevant to downsizing decision. If you can’t survive in a small space, gold platting it won’t help, so throwing money at it is likely a waste.

For the traveling we do, a house on wheels doesn’t make as much sense to us as a van we can sleep in. The freedom of a small vehicle has more value than added space.

P.S. — By definition Class B (van camper) can range from very small with pop-up roof and no bathroom, to 24-foot high-roof Mercedes Sprinter with full dry bath. Just stating that not all Class Bs are even close to the same, so there is much to consider and choose from beyond it just being a “B”.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:29 PM   #4

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The answer depends on who you ask. Asking about quality and build is quite different than asking about subjective things... like the items mentioned above.

Those subjective "likes" and "dislikes" is exactly why there are so many sizes and styles of RVs - from teardrop trailers to 40+ foot diesel pushers. "vive la différence"!
Old 05-27-2022, 01:21 AM   #5

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
So far , we love it .
Old 05-27-2022, 02:12 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
One advantage to a Class B, similar to the Super-C is the chassis. Regardless of what falls apart behind the two front seats, a real, factory built and unaltered cab will drag it back home with good A/C.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:06 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Rent one for a week before buying.
Some people hate the passenger leg room.
Renting is the only way you'll know.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The BEST advice. You will find out quickly if it's for you.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:

Totally agree as well. You will sit in that chair for as much time as you will enjoy what's behind it. It takes quite a few miles for the seat and position of foot petals to adjust to you or cause you misery by the angles.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:

Always good to rent a similar model of any RV before buying. I did my very first and highly recommend it as well. It is more difficult to rent Van Campers though compared to C, A, and specially trailers. Not as many people/companies rent vans.

If you were serious about passenger leg room (versus sarcasm), it’s no longer an issue as far as I know. The biggest offender was Ford E-Series (like mine) but Ford stopped making vans after 2014. Chevy still makes full-size vans with V8 engines, but have quite a bit more leg room than Ford E-Series. Besides, I’m not aware of any major RV manufacturer still building a true “Class B” camper on Chevy van chassis. Unless owner needs to tow a lot, old American vans are not very competitive due to space limitations.

Leg room in popular ProMaster, Sprinter, and Transit is far better than Ford E-Series or Chevy Express. None of these new Euro vans even have a removable engine doghouse like on old vans. Still worth renting first because some people find sitting position uncomfortable (particularly in ProMaster which seems more different than what drivers are use to).
Old 05-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The answer depends on who you ask. Asking about quality and build is quite different than asking about subjective things... like the items mentioned above.

Those subjective "likes" and "dislikes" is exactly why there are so many sizes and styles of RVs - from teardrop trailers to 40+ foot diesel pushers. "vive la différence"!

Most of the items I listed are factual, though how “valuable” they would or should be to any given individual are subjective. There is little doubt a van gets better mileage, is quieter, easier to drive or park, etc. compared to a Class C.

What’s really most subjective by far is how much room/space does one need to be comfortable, and also how valuable added space would be relative to the Class B advantages the owner would have to give up if upsizing to a “C”.

As vans get bigger, it’s harder for me to justify giving up advantages like parking at home, using as second car, or being able to park pretty much anywhere. My van only has about 300 cubic feet of volume, and new ones now go beyond 500. I can only imagine how much roomier that would feel by comparison. In fact, if I was ordering a new van to build or have converted, I’m not sure I would even get the very largest. Next largest is probably big enough.

It will be interesting to see if RV manufacturers start building and offering any Class B on super-sized ProMaster vans.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:33 PM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Most of the items I listed are factual, though how “valuable” they would or should be to any given individual are subjective. There is little doubt a van gets better mileage, is quieter, easier to drive or park, etc. compared to a Class C.

What’s really most subjective by far is how much room/space does one need to be comfortable, and also how valuable added space would be relative to the Class B advantages the owner would have to give up if upsizing to a “C”.

As vans get bigger, it’s harder for me to justify giving up advantages like parking at home, using as second car, or being able to park pretty much anywhere. My van only has about 300 cubic feet of volume, and new ones now go beyond 500. I can only imagine how much roomier that would feel by comparison. In fact, if I was ordering a new van to build or have converted, I’m not sure I would even get the very largest. Next largest is probably big enough.

It will be interesting to see if RV manufacturers start building and offering any Class B on super-sized ProMaster vans.
Since the OP is seeking input and suggestions the list is fair game. If by Chance it is okay, I would like to offer prospective and my view of my 30' RV using Chance's list.

1. Park at home - No Gain, I park my 30 footer at home
2. Use as second car - No Gain, we drive our RV as SUV and have made every trip in the last 3 years without our Lincoln Navigator. In fact, we have delayed the purchase of new Navigator so it could be huge financial windfall
3. Doubled fuel economy - Gain - I assume the Class B gets 17 miles / per gallon or more
4. Much easier to service and maintain - No Gain, in many ways in my model it is easier to access all things that require service, short adding oil to the engine
5. Park anywhere - Gain But I have never had this limitation or concern unless driving downtown of large city like Dallas / Denver. I think if I had a 24' RV I would have the same concern in same situation, but since technically you can get into more spaces with a 24 footer than a 30 footer, I will yield to a Class B. I really think it is in eye of the driver. I pull in and out of a McDonalds that my brother will park his Class B down the road and walk.
6. Drive places large motorhomes can not - No Gain unless you are talking about parking which I covered in #5
7. Easier to drive (less tiring) - No Gain we have a normal 6hr 30 min trip to visit my mom's house that we make about 8 times / per year. It takes about 6hr 45 min now and the increase is mainly due to longer time it takes to get gas. I am actually more comfortable in 30 footer, as I have better seat, larger window, electronic blinds, full rear view camera and side cameras, with a full snack table to my right. If I have to use restroom, it is as simple as next exit, park anywhere, do my business and hop back on the road.
8. Requires less trip planning - No Gain For me Planning is typing or speaking my destinations into Waze and I am OMW (on my way) I am still waiting to find that bridge that is less than 12 ft tall? I am sure if one exist, there ought to be a million signs that it is coming up. Besides if I see trucks, I am good.
9. Don’t require toad - No Gain We don't require a toad. We had a SRX that was 4 wheel towable, but just did not see the benefit for how we travel so we sold it. Thus far we have never had to tow anything with RV. But if I needed to, I could, which I see as benefit.
10. Quieter - Gain I gonna assume this to be true because I know my Navigator is quieter than the RV. But I would think noises that may come from microwave, oven and rv window screens would be common.
11. Fits in any campsite - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
12. Easier to wash - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
13. Full body paint standard - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
14. Lower overall cost - No Gain maybe I don't follow, but when I was looking the Class Bs were always significantly more expensive than any of Class Cs or small Class As?
15. Fewer/no leaks - No Gain, I have not had a leak in my RV; so I wouldn't see this on my list of things to look for when purchasing any RV. But if the argument is.... if you buy a smaller house you have less chances of getting a leak, I will concede this to say a gain?

Since OP owns a Class C, I would think he knows how he views each of the same. The one that I am surprised that did not come up is Appearance / Style. I think that if I were to buy a Class B, it would be because of the Gains aforementioned and the Fact that they are more modern, they are becoming more like luxury SUVs to compare with Escalades & Navigators. More people in the family are willing to drive the Class B versus a Class C or larger.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:55 PM   #13

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Dman. We just like the extra space in a class A. Mrs. wants the bigger shower, walk around bed, full galley. Twin AC, leveling jacks, big TV and couch. Otherwise, the Class B is perfect. When i purchased my Class C, i said this is it!... then time passed... and we upgraded.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We have owned B, C & A in that order. Coincidently the coaches have gotten bigger as we have gotten older. As we have aged, we need more room to move around in the coach. Twisting and turning in tight spaces sux when knees, hips, backs etc. are full of arthritis.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #15

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
I see you currently have a 2018 24F Chateau... we have a 2020.

Would you mind listing the things about your class C which is driving your desire to downsize to a class B? I know our 24F isn't perfect, but there's a point I draw the line... must have a workable shower, must have a flush toilet and 40 gallons of fresh water is about as low as I would go for our type of travel.

We chose our 24F based on compromises - it had most of the desired creature comforts without being a mansion on wheels - and is reasonably maneuverable. Numerous mods have checked off many more of the "must have" items.

Your reasons to downsize and your justifiable compromises (everyone has those with any RV) may help someone else who's trying to decide.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:19 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
Dman. We just like the extra space in a class A. Mrs. wants the bigger shower, walk around bed, full galley. Twin AC, leveling jacks, big TV and couch. Otherwise, the Class B is perfect. When i purchased my Class C, i said this is it!... then time passed... and we upgraded.
Yes sir

We rented a 40' Gas Forest River and a Discovery or whatever it was called and they both were big, they were stressful to drive primarily because they were not mine. I got like 3.9 mpg and was pushed by big trucks despite it's size. But my biggest beef was how hot it was and how all rental owners had these exorbitant fees if you ran the generator which was needed for AC. I never understood that.

At the same time my brother owned a Class B Sprinter. Very nice rig, but I will never forget we were with them one very hot day and he had trouble keeping that thing cool. every time the door open, you basically had to restart the cool down. His wife and kids were also inside and she was doing something in the galley area, everyone was packed in like sardines, so I made my way to the front passenger seat, after 10 minutes, I knew then that Class B and Class A was out for me.

We went after TMC Class C 28Z, I loved it and the floor plan, but learned of the Class C Quantum that TMC was saying was upgrade. So we go to MHSRV to see one and while the wife and I were inside it started to rain and rain hard it did; we saw at least 4 leaks Frustrated, we looked at other coaches because MHSRV has everything. Then I saw the ACE 29.3 it was love at first sight I would learn that it was designed to be sort of combined A & C class. But TMC discontinued the ACE 29.3. So we move up to the Windsport / Hurricane 27B and then TMC discontinued the 27B I was convinced somebody had warned TMC about me because they seemingly did not want me as a Thor owner FWIW and ironically to this discussion, the 29M was never a consideration for us because it was about a foot too long. I remember getting ripped on this forum way back when; because I was saying I would not buy a coach because it was foot too long. What is my mantra "Quality is Fitness for use". It would not fit in the Spot / RV port that I built at home where I intended to keep it; so I bought the 29ve which maximized my space perfectly. There is no right or wrong answer just what you want, but as OP as requested, it is interesting to learn why people buy what they do.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
What’s not to like except for small size and associated limited capacities?

There is less living space, less storage, less fresh water, less holding tank capacities, etc. However, by accepting “less” space and capacities, owners get many advantages that may or may not be important to others. Trade offs are extremely subjective depending on wants and needs.

I can list a few advantages “important to me” compared to previous Class C, in no particular order:

Park at home
Use as second car
Doubled fuel economy
Much easier to service and maintain
Park anywhere
Drive places large motorhomes can not
Easier to drive (less tiring)
Requires less trip planning
Don’t require toad
Quieter
Fits in any campsite
Easier to wash
Full body paint standard
Lower overall cost
Fewer/no leaks
Etc....

From my perspective everything about a van-size RV is better except for lack of space and associated capacities, and no one else can judge how much another person needs or wants. My wife and I are both relatively small and don’t need a lot of space, and more importantly don’t mind working around each other to move around. We also tour more than camp, which makes big difference. Also, in my opinion, level of vehicle build luxury is irrelevant to downsizing decision. If you can’t survive in a small space, gold platting it won’t help, so throwing money at it is likely a waste.

For the traveling we do, a house on wheels doesn’t make as much sense to us as a van we can sleep in. The freedom of a small vehicle has more value than added space.

P.S. — By definition Class B (van camper) can range from very small with pop-up roof and no bathroom, to 24-foot high-roof Mercedes Sprinter with full dry bath. Just stating that not all Class Bs are even close to the same, so there is much to consider and choose from beyond it just being a “B”.
Park at home *** same with a class's
Use as second car *** same with under 30 ft a classes
Doubled fuel economy *** small A 10+ M.P.G.
Much easier to service and maintain - same with small a classes
Park anywhere - same with under 30 foot a class
Drive places large motorhomes can not - same with thor vegas
Easier to drive (less tiring) - same with small a class
Requires less trip planning - same with all small a classes
Don’t require toad - same with thor vegas

Quieter
Fits in any campsite
Easier to wash
Full body paint standard
Lower overall cost
Fewer/no leaks
Etc....
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:11 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
.....cut....
7. Easier to drive (less tiring) - No Gain
......cut.....
More people in the family are willing to drive the Class B versus a Class C or larger.

Find it funny you think a Class B is no easier to drive than larger motorhomes, yet think more people in family would drive one when they won’t larger rigs.

I have driven various Class Cs and various vans for 1,000s of miles (not just a test drive around the block) and will say that anyone who thinks that it’s just as easy to drive a 30-foot motorhome as a van camper has either not actually driven a van camper, or else drove the world’s worst excuse for one. It’s not the main reason to buy a “B”, but it’s an advantage nonetheless. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

P.S. — My reference to using van camper as a second car must have been taken out of context. By “second car” I meant using van as a daily driver, which we do. At one time wife had an SUV, I had a car, and we also had a motorhome used for camping. Since downsizing from Class C to van camper, it also replaced my car, so I now drive van daily just like previous car. In that light, I don’t see anyone routinely using a 30-foot motorhome as a daily driver to take kids to school, go to mall, jury duty, etc. Technically it can be accomplished, but a Class B is far more likely to replace another family car than is a 30-ft motorhome for everyday transportation.
Old 05-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Find it funny you think a Class B is no easier to drive than larger motorhomes, yet think more people in family would drive one when they won’t larger rigs.

My 1st pass was from my perspective as it is no easier for me. But I concede for many; mentally and even physically it is and they will not even wantto try.

I have driven various Class Cs and various vans for 1,000s of miles (not just a test drive around the block) and will say that anyone who thinks that it’s just as easy to drive a 30-foot motorhome as a van camper has either not actually driven a van camper, or else drove the world’s worst excuse for one. It’s not the main reason to buy a “B”, but it’s an advantage nonetheless. That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

Your logic is sound, I will change accordingly.

P.S. — My reference to using van camper as a second car must have been taken out of context. By “second car” I meant using van as a daily driver, which we do. At one time wife had an SUV, I had a car, and we also had a motorhome used for camping. Since downsizing from Class C to van camper, it also replaced my car, so I now drive van daily just like previous car. In that light, I don’t see anyone routinely using a 30-foot motorhome as a daily driver to take kids to school, go to mall, jury duty, etc. Technically it can be accomplished, but a Class B is far more likely to replace another family car than is a 30-ft motorhome for everyday transportation.
I had to check the Author of the list, by Chance it happened to be by Chance I will adjust it accordingly. I do agree with you on this point as well because while I honestly view my RV as a SUV. I do not view it as a Daily Driver. But truth be told; our current Lincoln Navigator is no longer a Daily Driver, it sits parked 90% of the time. It is used to pull the boat and haul crap from Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. I am seriously thinking about cutting the insurance on it and only use and reactivate for planned special cases.

Note: I say all of this but I do plan to take the boat to the lake this weekend using the SUV. I don't think if I had a Class B; I would feel any safer about trying to launch my 24 boat with Class B?
Old 05-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Revised List, based on feedback from Chance

Since the OP is seeking input and suggestions the list is fair game. If by Chance it is okay, I would like to offer prospective and my view of my 30' RV using Chance's list.

1. Park at home - No Gain, I park my 30 footer at home
2. Use as Daily Driver - Gain, It is advantageous to drive a Class B daily than a Class C or A although in my personal case we drive our RV as SUV and have made every trip in the last 3 years without our Lincoln Navigator. In fact, we have delayed the purchase of new Navigator so it could be huge financial windfall
3. Doubled fuel economy - Gain - I assume the Class B gets 17 miles / per gallon or more
4. Much easier to service and maintain - No Gain, in many ways in my model it is easier to access all things that require service, short adding oil to the engine
5. Park anywhere - Gain, But I have never had this limitation or concern unless driving downtown of large city like Dallas / Denver. I think if I had a 24' RV I would have the same concern in same situation, but since technically you can get into more spaces with a 24 footer than a 30 footer, I will yield to a Class B. I really think it is in eye of the driver. I pull in and out of a McDonalds that my brother will park his Class B down the road and walk.
6. Drive places large motorhomes can not - No Gain unless you are talking about parking which I covered in #5
7. Easier to drive - Gain This is actually a function for #2 which makes #2 a derived duplicate. It is advantageous to drive a Class B daily than a Class C or A. But for use as both were designed or intended for me, it is no different than when I ride my Harley Classic Ultra Limited versus my Yamaha V Star 950. But I get the novice looking at them both and assuming the smaller bike is easier to ride. But in this context of the way the benefit is listed, I would agree that it is easier to learn on the Yamaha 950 and similarly easier for Class B over Class C or A although in my personal case we have a normal 6hr 30 min trip to visit my mom's house that we make about 8 times / per year. It takes about 6hr 45 min now and the increase is mainly due to longer time it takes to get gas. I am actually more comfortable in 30 footer, as I have better seat, larger window, electronic blinds, full rear view camera and side cameras, with a full snack table to my right. If I have to use restroom, it is as simple as next exit, park anywhere, do my business and hop back on the road.
8. Requires less trip planning - No Gain For me Planning is typing or speaking my destinations into Waze and I am OMW (on my way) I am still waiting to find that bridge that is less than 12 ft tall? I am sure if one exist, there ought to be a million signs that it is coming up. Besides if I see trucks, I am good.
9. Don’t require toad - No Gain We don't require a toad. We had a SRX that was 4 wheel towable, but just did not see the benefit for how we travel so we sold it. Thus far we have never had to tow anything with RV. But if I needed to, I could, which I see as benefit.
10. Quieter - Gain I gonna assume this to be true because I know my Navigator is quieter than the RV. But I would think noises that may come from microwave, oven and rv window screens would be common.
11. Fits in any campsite - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
12. Easier to wash - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
13. Full body paint standard - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
14. Lower overall cost - No Gain maybe I don't follow, but when I was looking the Class Bs were always significantly more expensive than any of Class Cs or small Class As?
15. Fewer/no leaks - No Gain, I have not had a leak in my RV; so I wouldn't see this on my list of things to look for when purchasing any RV. But if the argument is.... if you buy a smaller house you have less chances of getting a leak, I will concede this to say a gain?