Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Important for the Reliable 200 lithium systems

For those us of with the 200 Ah systems....meaning no physical lithium battery yellow cut off switch....

Normally, when the coach is just sitting parked with everything off, there is a negative constant draw of about .8 amps on the Balmar meter.

Well, there is a fan in the inverter that will kick on automatically if the temperature around the inverter, under the bed, exceeds around 100 degrees. Like sitting in the sun.

This will kick your constant draw up to -1.4 amps. Admittedly I'm in AZ, but the fan is not very efficient and would probably stay on a long time in any situation.

If some of you have had mysterious idle battery depletion, that could be a factor to consider.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Usually turning of the battery disconnect switch will dramatically decrease the parasitic current from the batteries. My Thor Axis draws 0.7 amps with the switch on, but about 0.05 amps with it off.

That switch will not likely turn off the DC power to an inverter since it is usually wired directly to the battery, not through the switch, so you have to be careful of that as noted above.

David
Old 07-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #3

THOR #15205
I sure wish we had one of those switches, but Thor did not put them on the 200Ah systems. I could put one on, but haven't yet.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
I sure wish we had one of those switches, but Thor did not put them on the 200Ah systems. I could put one on, but haven't yet.
That is strange. I thought that every MH built in the last 20-30 years had such a switch. It would be fairly easy to install. Get a Perko or similar high amperage rotary switch and install it near the batteries with a short jumper cable.

Here are lots to chose from- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rotary+ba..._ts-doa-p_1_17

David
Old 07-13-2022, 10:14 PM   #5

THOR #15205
There are a few levels of the Reliable Lithium set ups in the Thor class B's. The lowest version, the 200 Ah is the only one that does not come with a yellow manual disconnect switch.

I have installed them on my other TT's. They do work well.

Anyway, if you use the physical disconnect switch it disconnects the blue tooth and all that so you have to hassle with reconnecting the coach to the blue tooth.

I would be more irritated but I have an RV garage and can plug it in to keep it charged. I'll cycle things by unplugging the coach and letting it self drain down over a few days. Then plug it back in.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #6

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
The " Battery Safety Relay " is more than a disconnect switch .

I have used it when needing to reboot my troublesome Inverter , which they are going to replace my Transfer Switch , the relay will cut all DC voltage to my Inverter . 400 AH LI with 3000 Inverter . Though it has not given me an issue for almost a month of disconnecting & reconnecting SP , it has switched over & Inverter has not locked up & unable to receive SP ,probably because I figured how to reset or reboot the Inverter .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety relay thor.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	38684  
Old 07-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #7

THOR #15205
Well very good point.

I guess if I had to reboot my inverter I'd have to pull the top panel and manually do the power.

My transfer switch had to be replaced right out of the gate. Brought it home and my batteries weren't getting charged. Power wasn't getting to my inverter.

While I definitely think "I didn't pay $100K plus to have to learn these things", I am glad I've gotten to really know how these systems work.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Well very good point.

I guess if I had to reboot my inverter I'd have to pull the top panel and manually do the power.

My transfer switch had to be replaced right out of the gate. Brought it home and my batteries weren't getting charged. Power wasn't getting to my inverter.

While I definitely think "I didn't pay $100K plus to have to learn these things", I am glad I've gotten to really know how these systems work.
Great info..I need to look at mine.
I thought when installed the inverter had a black on off switch
Old 07-14-2022, 08:44 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #25047

Quote:
There are a few levels of the Reliable Lithium set ups in the Thor class B's. The lowest version, the 200 Ah is the only one that does not come with a yellow manual disconnect switch.

Anyway, if you use the physical disconnect switch it disconnects the blue tooth and all that so you have to hassle with reconnecting the coach to the blue tooth.

I would be more irritated but I have an RV garage and can plug it in to keep it charged. I'll cycle things by unplugging the coach and letting it self drain down over a few days. Then plug it back in.

We have the 200 AH and we do have the yellow safety relay switch.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #10

THOR #15205
????? !!!!????

What year? What model do you have?

And where is the switch???
Old 07-14-2022, 08:59 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #25047

Quote:
????? !!!!????

What year? What model do you have?

And where is the switch???

2022 tranquility, rear driver side, up behind the propane refill connector. Pretty much got to get on the ground to see it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9701.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	38695

Name:	IMG_9705.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	38696
Old 07-14-2022, 09:07 PM   #12

THOR #15205
Thank you for the pictures.

Got under and looked, and I don't have that anywhere.

Makes me think Thor has been doing all kinds of different things to different units.

I'd like to know if any other Tellaro owners of the 200Ah system do or do not have the switch.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:10 AM   #13

THOR #26179
My Safety Relay is inside the passenger rear door , the Transfer Switch is in the back .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Safety & Transfer switchs .jpg
Views:	77
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	38700  
Old 07-18-2022, 11:29 AM   #14

THOR #15205
Man I looked everywhere and no dice. When I bring it in next I'll ask more.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #15

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

They have a remote disconnect with 2 key fobs, that would make it easier on Amazon
Old 11-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #16

THOR #28413
So I just bought a 2023 Tellero with the 200 amp system I believe haven’t seen specs has Thor resolved the Water Hose issue and is the 200 amp hours proven to work well or is it not enough power , also is the charger an MMPT or PWM?
Old 11-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #17

THOR #15205
It has worked great for us.

If you need more juice you can idle the engine. It idles very quietly and can do so for hours.

The batteries will run things past quiet time at campgrounds when you can't have a generator on anyway. TV, microwave, AC for a while.

Will it run for hours? no. AC on high for maybe an hour or two.

But people complaining about not being able to run 120V things for hours is strange to me. They would need a generator anyway, and we have the engine to idle.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
For those us of with the 200 Ah systems....meaning no physical lithium battery yellow cut off switch....

Normally, when the coach is just sitting parked with everything off, there is a negative constant draw of about .8 amps on the Balmar meter.

Well, there is a fan in the inverter that will kick on automatically if the temperature around the inverter, under the bed, exceeds around 100 degrees. Like sitting in the sun.

This will kick your constant draw up to -1.4 amps. Admittedly I'm in AZ, but the fan is not very efficient and would probably stay on a long time in any situation.

If some of you have had mysterious idle battery depletion, that could be a factor to consider.
Sounds about right on the amp draw when idle. One other thing you can do to save power is to make sure the inverter is turned off unless you need the AC power. The inverter itself pulls power when turned on even if no AC power is being used. Have found also the 190 watt solar panel will also easily keep up with the parasitic draw unless not sunny during the day time hours.

No yellow disconnect switch on mine also with 200a/h lithium batteries but also have the Onan 2800i generator.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #19

THOR #26179
I think Thor has multiple versions of all their class B RV's with the Reliable systems, seems they have added or altered these LI Battery systems , might just be a evolving process , with early ones different then later produced models .

The Yellow colored handled , Battery Safety Relay. does isolate the LI batteries on my system , not to mention all 12 VDC power.

GRV replaced my ATS a couple moths ago & I have only had one instance where I had what I call, 120Volt lock out ,when switching to SP & resetting the system quickly restored 120V power

I have the 400AH with 3000 120/12Volt Inverter & there is an ON/Charge only on my Inverter & pretty sure its a Pure sine wave.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #20

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
To pile on...I have a 2023 20L Tellaro (2x - 100amp Relion)

No yellow switch anywhere.

Battery Negative is a home (I think as that's what it shows in the schematics - haven't 100% verified) run (2 cables) from each battery to the Balmar shunt.

I plan on installing a 4/0 cable and a 200amp disconnect switch between the 2 battery cables and the shunt, tonight...that should kill all paths back to the battery negative and be a great way to store the unit (assuming batteries charged to at least 50-60% for winter).

I'll have to poke around just to be sure there aren't any direct connections to the negative side of the batteries, and put switches on those connections as well.

For instance, the shunt itself has a battery sense lead (16g or so red wire), that might have to be switched as well as it might power a circuit on the shunt for coms/battery sense.

I might also switch the ignition sense wire going to the Balmar regulator...no sense turning on the regulator when there is nothing to charge (if the engine is started)

I think when that's done, along with turning off the inverter...and turning off the 12v disco...that should take all the loads off the batteries for storage/maint.

ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote