Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #26172
Inverter in Sanctuary

Hi everyone

I have a 2022 sanctuary that I have had for a week. Does anyone know how to shut down the inverter after turning off the master battery switch? The inverter installed on mine doesnít match the materials provided. Mine has a round gauge and three buttons below the screen.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #25596
Do you have the lithium or AGM batteries? I have lithium and I shut my inverter off by the mastervolt screen.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #3

State: Minnesota
THOR #26172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_MT View Post
Do you have the lithium or AGM batteries? I have lithium and I shut my inverter off by the mastervolt screen.
I have the lithium battery. I can't figure out how to shut off the inverter from the mastervolt screen. Mine has three buttons and all the documentation doesn't show the kind I have.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #25596
Mine is just a touch screen. It has 3 pages and each page is customizable. One if the buttons is a simple toggle in off for the inverter. I have the single button just for on/off. If you have the edit button in the top right (looks like a pencil) maybe try clicking that to get into the menu and add the converter button.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:44 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyjakejake View Post
Hi everyone

I have a 2022 sanctuary that I have had for a week. Does anyone know how to shut down the inverter after turning off the master battery switch? The inverter installed on mine doesnít match the materials provided. Mine has a round gauge and three buttons below the screen.
Now you have me wondering. Iíve had my 19l for a couple months now. Lithium battery system. Tech tells me to basically leave the main on while storing the van with shore power engaged. Leave the main on while traveling. So, when do you turn the system off. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but Iím new at RV life. Many Thanks RS
Old 03-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
Now you have me wondering. Iíve had my 19l for a couple months now. Lithium battery system. Tech tells me to basically leave the main on while storing the van with shore power engaged. Leave the main on while traveling. So, when do you turn the system off. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but Iím new at RV life. Many Thanks RS
When storing without SP connected.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #7

THOR #25047
Inverter in Sanctuary

Quote:

We do not use shore power when parked in the driveway. We turn off our main power and the solar is enough to keep the battery in good condition with the main power off. We use the Master volt screen (2nd page) to turn off our inverter
Old 03-11-2022, 02:36 PM   #8

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
We do not use shore power when parked in the driveway. We turn off our main power and the solar is enough to keep the battery in good condition with the main power off. We use the Master volt screen (2nd page) to turn off our inverter
What main Power are you shutting off , Main battery Switch ? My manual reads that the Battery main power switch has to be on for Solar charging , just read it in there last night .

Now shutting of the main Breaker in the Breaker panel may be different , not sure .
Old 03-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #9

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
What main Power are you shutting off , Main battery Switch ? My manual reads that the Battery main power switch has to be on for Solar charging , just read it in there last night .

Now shutting of the main Breaker in the Breaker panel may be different , not sure .

Main power switch inside the side door on kitchen cabinet. Our solar charger does work with it in the off position.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:21 PM   #10

THOR #25047
Quote:
Main power switch inside the side door on kitchen cabinet. Our solar charger does work with it in the off position.

Just to confirm, this morning I turned on the main power and Mastervolt indicated battery at 98 %. At 1, I again turned on Main power and battery was at %100. Also with the main power off, the solar control panel indicates the charging status. This morning it was in a charging state, this afternoon it was indicating full charge.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:41 AM   #11

THOR #25702
Just curious, did you leave the inverter on or turn it off. The other thing is I am wondering what is the purpose that some turn the inverter off?
Old 03-12-2022, 01:46 AM   #12

THOR #25047
Inverter in Sanctuary

Quote:
Just curious, did you leave the inverter on or turn it off. The other thing is I am wondering what is the purpose that some turn the inverter off?

The inverter canít be on without main power. We always have our inverter off, even when we have main power on. The inverter really sucks down the battery if camping on solar only, with no shore power and not driving to recharge the battery. Itís not needed for basic 12 volt operations, lights, refrigerator. So we only turn it on to use the microwave. We donít use air or tv. It would have to be on for those also. The inverter uses too much battery even if not using the appliances that need it. We mostly camp without hookups for 1-2 weeks at a time, so we want the most from battery on solar only.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:31 AM   #13

THOR #25702
So, while plugged in to shore power, inverter isn’t needed to charge the batteries. While driving, inverter isn’t needed to charge batteries.. My understanding was that the inverter is a battery charger as well. Not sure why this is confusing me, could be the conflicting information I’ve been getting. Thor tech tells me that in order to maintain a full charge in storage, inverter must remain on while plugged in. Thanks RS
Old 03-12-2022, 06:59 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Our inverter is only on for tv microwave or coffee etc
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
So, while plugged in to shore power, inverter isnít needed to charge the batteries. While driving, inverter isnít needed to charge batteries.. My understanding was that the inverter is a battery charger as well. Not sure why this is confusing me, could be the conflicting information Iíve been getting. Thor tech tells me that in order to maintain a full charge in storage, inverter must remain on while plugged in. Thanks RS
Most RVs use a CONVERTER to charge the batteries, and if they have an INVERTER it is for supplying 120 VAC from the batteries to outlets.

RVs with large inverters (3 KW and up) may utilize an INVERTER/CHARGER where a charging circuit is integrated into the inverter and the separate converter is eliminated. Check your documentation to verify what you have installed.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #16

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Quote:
What year is your Thor ? I wonder if they changed something , I have a 3000 watt converter for the LI Battery system & 400 AH LI 's .Now you are going to make me try it & see if the manual is wrong or your year is different .
Old 03-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #17

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
What year is your Thor ? I wonder if they changed something , I have a 3000 watt converter for the LI Battery system & 400 AH LI 's .Now you are going to make me try it & see if the manual is wrong or your year is different .

2022. Our inverter and converter are separate units. In our manual page 110 and 133 explain them.