Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2022, 08:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Learned a valuable lesson I should have known

I've had 3 TT's over the years before my Tellaro. So I've been through walk throughs before and really only had minor issues.

I'm not going to mention the dealer specifically because this story makes them look too bad.

The sales part of the process went as well as can be expected. No complaints. Delivery day came. They had it sitting there with a red bow and welcome sign.

So the walk through for my Tellaro started out ok, the guy was knowledgeable and I had watched the videos a hundred times....so I was familiar. I had been already sitting around for about 90 minutes and was anxious to beat traffic getting it home. He was good though.

Suddenly this other dude shows up eating a Twinkie (no kidding). The first dude announces he has a back problem and hands it off to this second dude. We're about 1/3 of the way through. I think "ok, a little weird but fine".

This second guy was an absolute clown. I swear I'm not exaggerating, he kept talking off topic....asking about my sneakers and sunglasses. One of those people who don't get it even when you shift the conversation back mid sentence. He actually left me for 15 minutes to go to the bathroom.

Here was my mistake. I let this guy bug me enough that I just said to him "Look, has all the stuff on this coach been tested and is working?" "Oh yeah he says, we go through everything". I had seen the major stuff working and wanted to get out of there so I said thanks and left.

Get it home, have dinner to unwind and go back out to the garage and notice the charge on the Lithium's was 32%. I plug it in and nothing. Back down to the dealer the next day, turned out to be a part. It was there another 4 days.

I could blame the delivery team for not seeing this....but I should have known these guys don't really care and just want the unit out the door. It's my responsibility to be careful. When I got the unit back, I found the hot water wasn't working. They had left the hot water valve off and the bypass on. Couple hours of my own analysis there and fixed it. I found an industrial syringe of some kind under one of the cushions.

I have since made my experience clear to the dealership. And to their credit they did fix my original problem as fast as they could. The coach is working great now. And I'm trying to be philosophical about the learning experience.

The lesson is do your walkthrough thoroughly. It doesn't matter what time it is or how late you make anyone stay.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:57 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The second dude probably does that to everybody...it works. Not much left to be said...you said it all. Funny part...you catch yourself saying..."I can't wait to buy my next RV...I'll do it different then". We've all been there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:29 PM   #3

THOR #15205
You know, I later wondered if that was some kind of deal they had preplanned.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:57 PM   #4

THOR #11130
I went with my son 2 years ago to help him with a walk thru on a new TT. The Salesgoober was OK but they had this young guy in the back that did all the walk throughs for them. He was a real idiot and wanted to make a joke about everything...kept changing the subject but most of all...plain out lies. I insulted him to the point most people would have walked away but he just kept on smiling and jumping off subject. I went back to the Salesgoober and told him what I thought and if he didn't have time to introduce the unit himself we were leaving. 2 hours later we made the purchase. It's a tactic they use. Just like the used car Salesgoobers placing pennies, heads up, all over the parking lot of their cars.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:17 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #25047
During our walkthrough for our Tranquility, the young (20ish) man at La Mesa Rv in San Diego seemed to be knowledgeable… BUT within 2 weeks we realized he had no clue how the Lithium battery system worked! He told us things that were absolutely wrong. We called Thor, talked to a great rep (Brian), learned our lessons.. couldn’t be happier now.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
On my YouTube Chanel I literally get 100s of these types of scenarios ... my response is always the same.

It is critical that you test everything yourself during the PDI and never sign the final paperwork until you have completed the PDI. Once you are off the dealership lot, you are on your own ... and the goal for everyone at the dealership is to get you on off the dealership lot ASAP.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #7

THOR #15205
Yes that is absolutely true.

It is sad that the entire industry is an "us vs them" struggle between the customers and dealers.

I mean much of this board is about helping you battle RV problems.

I love Thor's marketing line "Nobody will build them better than we do".

That's kind of a low bar to achieve industry wide.

Like I said though this isn't my first rodeo and we RV because we love it. Just a cautionary tale for new folks. We are happy with our Tellaro and would buy it again.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
These TWO Clown have worked on this Magic Act for years...
NEVER let anyone give you the Bum's Rush like that again: you already know why!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Yes that is absolutely true.

It is sad that the entire industry is an "us vs them" struggle between the customers and dealers.

I mean much of this board is about helping you battle RV problems.

I love Thor's marketing line "Nobody will build them better than we do".

That's kind of a low bar to achieve industry wide.

Like I said though this isn't my first rodeo and we RV because we love it. Just a cautionary tale for new folks. We are happy with our Tellaro and would buy it again.

Also very interesting at the THOR factory service facility, the first thing they tell you is..."we didn't build it but we can fix it".
Old 04-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #10

THOR #15205
I swear that all sounds like an inside joke at Thor.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If it is: how come none of us are laughing?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote