Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2023, 10:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Tellaro
State: Connecticut
THOR #20423
Location of Balmar shunt fuse - ‘23 Tellaro

I have the 2 100ah lithium setup in my 2023 Tellaro 20L. I have an issue with the Balmar monitor reading 100% SOC most of the time - even while accepting significant charge. The batteries were just installed so the SOH is not yet registering either. Balmar tech suggested a few charge cycles and if still not working, he recommended disconnecting the fuse to the Balmar shunt to reset it. Apparently a factory reset of the display won’t do it.

Anyone know exactly where this fuse is and roughly what it looks like?

Thanks… Joe

Old 03-09-2023, 10:40 PM   #2
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
On 23 Tellaro 20k the fuse is located on the wire lead connecting to the input side of the battery disconnect switch. Simply pull out the switch and you’ll find several connections. I don’t have the wiring schematic with me but as I recall it is either a one or five amp fuse. Mine is about 5 inches down the wire from the disconnect. I’ve reset my display by pulling the fuse but I have also done it simply by starting the Balmar app (that is if you have the Bluetooth dongle installed).
Old 03-10-2023, 12:12 AM   #3

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Did the guy actually say to disconnect the fuse to the shunt or to the display.

I've never have had to reset my 'shunt', reset my display many times. Guess the shunt could be reset, it does have some circuitry in it.

The display can be reset by just holding the button for a few secs, it will reboot and reload the firmware.

What does the voltage read, anything above 13.5-13.6 is going so show 100% SOC. SOH is not worth the worrying about, it takes forever to adapt. By the time it adapts, I end up having to reset my display.

Did the guy go through your settings on the display, to be sure you have the right parameters. Set wrong (capacity and/or battery type) the display will mis-calculate both SOC and SOH.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:55 PM   #4

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Highly recommend purchasing on Amazon for $59 a Balmar SG2-300 Bluetooth Gateway. I just checked and they are still available.

It is simple "plug and play" (plugs into the back of the Balmar display). It will allow you to update the software as well as check/change the parameters from your phone and simple to use when you download their app.

Better to check all that first before disconnecting fuses.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Tellaro
State: Connecticut
THOR #20423
Thanks, guys!

Good to know the fuse may be behind the switch rather than buried somewhere, where I’ll never find it! And I am going to get the Bluetooth dongle.

Yeah, the exact instructions were to remove the fuse connected to the shunt, specifically. Alternatively, disconnect the battery. He did say, however, that a few charge cycles may resolve the issue. He also said rebooting the display or a factory reset would not do it. SOH only came up in the context that there was no value displayed. He said that the SOH display would likely show up when things were working properly. I don’t recall what the voltage was at the time, but the tech did ask me about the battery type and capacity, which I had already properly set after the factory reset.

In any event, when I went out this morning, there was an SOH reading and reasonably believable SOC as well. I’ll cycle a few more times to see if I’m still getting believable results.

Thanks again for the responses! Best regards, Joe.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:31 PM   #6

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
No problem. Once you receive the Bluetooth device I recommend updating the software to the Balmar from the app as it is very simple. The device will allow you to access the same information from your phone that you see on the display.

Also confirm that the chemistry is set to "Relion Life04" and not just "Life04". For whatever reason, that seemed to correct some of my issues but not sure what the difference is. The Balmar device can be somewhat unreliable but since I have made these changes have not had any issues.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2023, 12:23 AM   #7

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Hmmm...thanks, good to know that the shunt needs a reset once and while.

I think I'm going to put in little push button near the 12V cutoff switch - in-line with the 12v lead that powers the shunt.

Lot easier than pulling the bed apart or trying to get my hand in the small access hole. I can see all the fuses from the access hole (access hole intended for water fill on the 20L), but its torture to get both hands in there.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:42 AM   #8

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
I still have not found a Shunt on my 2022 Sanctuary , but I have not given up , I'm making my own wiring diagram by tracing every system , one at a time . The diagram by Thor is pretty close so far , but its a slow process .