Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Longer Compass/Gemini 24KB

Thor is introducing a larger Compass/Gemini 24KB floor plan based on longer 178-inch Transit chassis. Overall length is listed at 25’-10” so just over 2-feet longer.

A forum search did not come up with “24KB” so I don’t know if it’s been discussed previously. The floor plan is very similar to Axis/Vegas 24.1 and also 25V Class Cs but narrower and on lower GVWR and GCWR chassis.

Just sharing option in case someone is considering a new Compass/Gemini.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEE19659-BBAA-491C-9C9C-8CBCA834EF3A.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	39409   Click image for larger version

Name:	0D8F95F7-E294-4AE3-A82A-14C7798A9A49.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	39410  

Old 09-10-2022, 02:02 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As a newish Thor Axis 24.1 owner I find a lot to like about the new 24KB. It solves an annoying problem I have with Thor's low end Class As: They really don't know how to build a front cab. Virtually all of the remaining problems with mine (after fixing a lot of them) are related to Thor's design and build of the front cab area on my Axis. With the 24KB built on the Ford cab as a Class C, most of these problems should be solved.

But I much prefer the transition from cab area to coach area on an A rather than the abrupt flare out on a C. The A has a much better cab seating area, both for driving as well as living with the rotating front seats.

The 3.5 V-6 Eco Boost turbo engine is a little concerning but not much. The hp and torque numbers are almost identical to my 7.3 V8 but with less than half of the displacement to deal with wear and tear. But I have a friend with a F150 Eco Boost engine that he uses to tow about 5,000 lbs of TT and so far it has worked well for him.

The GVWR at 11,000 lbs being 1,500 lbs less than my Axis is a bit more concerning. I haven't weighed mine yet but I suspect I am within 500 lbs of my GVWR. How did Thor save enough weight to get by with 1,500 less on the 24KB? One way is reduced tankage which means a day or so less than the 24.1 before refilling/dumping while dry camping. Also l have lots of basement storage and fill it with stuff. The 25KB probably has less basement storage capacity. Another way is eliminating the over the cab bed, which probably saves 200 lbs and would not be missed by me.

The GCWR is 15,000 lbs which theoretically means you could tow a 4,000 lb Toad. I do think that is beyond the capabilities of the Eco Boost.

The 4WD drive is nice but not essential. I have never come close to needing 4WD where we camp.

Price is about the same as the Axis.

If it were available when we were shopping for our Axis, I would have given it a hard look.

David
Old 09-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

......cut.....

If it were available when we were shopping for our Axis, I would have given it a hard look.

David
David, just curious, did you look at Chateau 25V before buying 24.1? Or did you not expect “cab” issues to the extend you are experiencing? It is very similar to Axis 24.1 but Class C on E-Series.

When I first saw 24KB floor plan I thought maybe Thor was building a larger B+ to compete with Winnebago EKKO and Coachmen Cross Trail, which have large gear/bike garage under twin beds.

Design seems “normal” or ordinary with 4K Onan, small slide, etc. And yes, if I were looking at this unit, I would confirm adequate OCCC to use all the storage.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
The 3.5 in my 2020 F150, coupled with 10 speed transmission sucks. I’d never buy a motorhome, C or A, with that engine. Plus I’ll bet it’s pegging GVWR empty.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:51 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
The 3.5 in my 2020 F150, coupled with 10 speed transmission sucks. I’d never buy a motorhome, C or A, with that engine. Plus I’ll bet it’s pegging GVWR empty.
EcoBoost engine technology would not be my preference for a motorhome either; mostly because it won’t deliver that much better fuel economy (if any) compared to a naturally aspirated engine of similar power. EB added cost doesn’t seem justified to me for larger vehicle applications like a Compass/Gemini (versus a simpler and lower-cost larger naturally-aspirated engine).

Owner reports in this forum of +/- 12 MPG is good but not proportionally better than larger motorhomes getting 10~11 MPG with large-displacement truck engine, so not worth expense or added complexity to me.

Having said that, the 3.5L EcoBoost in F-150, which is similar to the one in Transit, has maximum GCWR of ~19,500 pounds. From durability and towing standpoint the Transit GCWR of 15,000 pounds doesn’t seem out of line by comparison, at least from engine limitations. Still, durability and simplicity is not comparable to 7.3L V8 in my opinion.

P.S. — Longer wheelbase of 178 inches versus other two floor plans at 156 inches makes a big difference in appearance. Even though rear overhang is slightly longer that shorter Compass/Gemini, the longer WB makes the motorhome appear more balanced. Probably drives better too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD1CC5C9-CD3D-4AA2-B409-4E1B98BC9888.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	39447   Click image for larger version

Name:	A72A8228-046A-4FBC-BE59-EB6B7B53440E.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	39448