Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2023, 03:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Mastervolt 3000 watt Inverter/Charger Parasitic Draw

I am happy to report that I have found a way to reduce significant parasitic draw from the batteries during storage. This information is in the manual but did not realize how much of a difference it makes turning the inverter off from one location verses the other.

This may be somewhat obvious and admit I should have been aware but thought it could be helpful for storage. I have always been aware that turning off the inverter would save power but I was not aware there would be this much difference in turning the inverter off from one location verses the other.

I have the 200a/h Relion setup with Mastervolt 3000 watt Combi. Some owners of these may have a different display setup than this but ours has the Mastervolt "Smart Remote" display. With the "Smart Remote" display, you have the option of turning off the inverter from the Smart Remote display rather than turning it off at the inverter itself which is what I have been doing for convenience.

The Mastervolt/Combi inverter has a two position switch that is very small (dime size) and somewhat difficult to access depending on where it is mounted. There is no way to completely turn the inverter/charger off or disconnect it from power with this switch. Its function is to allow either "charge only" or "inverter and charger on". Turning the switch to "charge only" turns off the inverter at the source and also turns off the "Smart Remote" display.

If you want to totally disconnect the inverter/charger from the batteries, at least on 2022 models you will have to install your own battery disconnect switch.
Supposedly 2023 models have incorporated into the Master On/Off switch the inverter/charger which removes it from the power source but mine is not wired that way.

There is a big difference in parasitic draw (1 amp) if you turn the inverter off using the small switch on the Mastervolt Charger/Inverter itself compared to turning inverter off at the display. It is more of a pain to turn it off there, but you will save about 1 amp/hr of battery power by doing that thus greatly reducing parasitic draw.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:49 PM   #2

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
I am happy to report that I have found a way to reduce significant parasitic draw from the batteries during storage. This information is in the manual but did not realize how much of a difference it makes turning the inverter off from one location verses the other.

This may be somewhat obvious and admit I should have been aware but thought it could be helpful for storage. I have always been aware that turning off the inverter would save power but I was not aware there would be this much difference in turning the inverter off from one location verses the other.

I have the 200a/h Relion setup with Mastervolt 3000 watt Combi. Some owners of these may have a different display setup than this but ours has the Mastervolt "Smart Remote" display. With the "Smart Remote" display, you have the option of turning off the inverter from the Smart Remote display rather than turning it off at the inverter itself which is what I have been doing for convenience.

The Mastervolt/Combi inverter has a two position switch that is very small (dime size) and somewhat difficult to access depending on where it is mounted. There is no way to completely turn the inverter/charger off or disconnect it from power with this switch. Its function is to allow either "charge only" or "inverter and charger on". Turning the switch to "charge only" turns off the inverter at the source and also turns off the "Smart Remote" display.

If you want to totally disconnect the inverter/charger from the batteries, at least on 2022 models you will have to install your own battery disconnect switch.
Supposedly 2023 models have incorporated into the Master On/Off switch the inverter/charger which removes it from the power source but mine is not wired that way.

There is a big difference in parasitic draw (1 amp) if you turn the inverter off using the small switch on the Mastervolt Charger/Inverter itself compared to turning inverter off at the display. It is more of a pain to turn it off there, but you will save about 1 amp/hr of battery power by doing that thus greatly reducing parasitic draw.

I did read about the switch on the inverter but didnít realize it would make much of difference. I know what I will be doing after work today!
Old 02-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #3

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
I did read about the switch on the inverter but didnít realize it would make much of difference. I know what I will be doing after work today!
Surprised me too how much difference it made. The solar alone is now keeping up with "draw" on the batteries for the first time. The small switch is kind of hard to find but located near where your main battery wires come in and are connected. No need to remove the cover to access. Just have to remember to turn it back on when needing the inverter. The panel on my 20L where the inverter is located is on drivers side under the bed. Have to remove 4 for the panel to get to it. I decided just to leave the screws out and use velcro on the panel door to make access easier.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:19 AM   #4

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Surprised me too how much difference it made. The solar alone is now keeping up with "draw" on the batteries for the first time. The small switch is kind of hard to find but located near where your main battery wires come in and are connected. No need to remove the cover to access. Just have to remember to turn it back on when needing the inverter. The panel on my 20L where the inverter is located is on drivers side under the bed. Have to remove 4 for the panel to get to it. I decided just to leave the screws out and use velcro on the panel door to make access easier.
I can get to the switch if I lay on the floor but Iím gonna try to come up with some sort of a hinge system for the drivers side. If that works out Iíll do the same for the panel above the breaker box.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:53 PM   #5

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
I can get to the switch if I lay on the floor but I’m gonna try to come up with some sort of a hinge system for the drivers side. If that works out I’ll do the same for the panel above the breaker box.
Sounds like a great idea! I see no reason to have all those screws on the panels that need access. I usually hate velcro but it was a quick easy solution and those panels are held down by gravity anyway. I did the same thing (velcro) on the panel above the breaker box to avoid removing the screws every time. I need access to that area if I ever need to add the "pink stuff" for winterizing.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:56 PM   #6

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Nice catch.

This will find will go a long way to easy my mind while storing.

This mod is now on my list...from the Combi 3000/120 manual https://images.mastervolt.nl/files/1...120Vseries.pdf

This adds a remote switch - can be hooked up 2 ways, basically does what the little switch does...without the yoga poses.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CombiRemote.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	40812  
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:39 PM   #7

THOR #26907
I remember seeing that in the manual now that you reminded me! I will be curious how it works once you get that "mod" done? It would definitely simplify the process of turning the inverter off during storage! Looks pretty simple but I am not the electronics expert. If you find a switch that will work on Amazon etc. please post. Also curious as to best place to locate it.

Will probably be a very simple project for Sparks701!

However, since you have a 2023, your inverter is "possibly" wired into your Master On/off switch so might want to check that first. I remember reading in the manual somewhere that was one of the changes they made on the 2023 models but no idea if all 2023's were wired that way.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:42 PM   #8

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Next week might be a good week to get under/inside to start to figure out the fixes/mods...50's in WI...that's swimming weather for us.

I'll check out what happens with the main switch off. I used it only a few times, but never paid attention. If it does turn off the Combi, I bet it's wired like the top diagram where power is supplied to one of the pins, vs. the other method of putting the switch between the two pins. I guess that also means, the on/off on the unit needs to be on all the time like the manual states.

I think any SPST 12v switch will get it done. I ordered these awhile back https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They will get the job done. The third wire is power for the LED, can hook it up or leave it disconnected, by preference.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 07:45 PM   #9

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Makes me think it's the Cooling Fan running that eats power, because it still runs even with the Inverter turned off remotely with the combi master . Can you tell if that fan is still running when your switched to charge only , now I'm curious, I have to check mine , because I have the Inverter shut off from the Combi ..
Old 02-11-2023, 09:27 PM   #10

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
Makes me think it's the Cooling Fan running that eats power, because it still runs even with the Inverter turned off remotely with the combi master . Can you tell if that fan is still running when your switched to charge only , now I'm curious, I have to check mine , because I have the Inverter shut off from the Combi ..
If your inverter is shut off using the small switch on the Combi you are good to go. By flipping the switch that means it is in "charge only" mode and the inverter will not work.

The problem is when turning it off from the panel the draw is at least 1 amp higher. On mine, my mastervolt display goes "black" when I turn it off using the small switch. If I turn the inverter off from the mastervolt display, the display remains on and it is pulling the extra amp of power continuously.

As I recall, you have a different display however than I do so yours could be different.

The cooling fan runs for a short time pulling power and when charging but then turns off automatically so I don't believe that is the problem drawing continuous power. If the fan is running continuously when not charging and not ever turning off then something is not right. You should be able to hear the fan because it is pretty loud. It is normal would think for that fan to be running any time your charger is charging the batteries.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:55 AM   #11

THOR #26179
The cooling fan in the Inverter does cycle , but I was wondering if it cycled when the manual switch at the Inverter was switched to "Charge only " . I'm going to see in the morning if mine does , I'm going to change it , just curious. I'm always on SP , so no idea how that will effect it .
Old 02-12-2023, 02:28 PM   #12

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
The cooling fan in the Inverter does cycle , but I was wondering if it cycled when the manual switch at the Inverter was switched to "Charge only " . I'm going to see in the morning if mine does , I'm going to change it , just curious. I'm always on SP , so no idea how that will effect it .
If always on shore power it is probably ok just to leave the switch as is. I decided I did not want to leave mine plugged in all the time because the Relion battery technical people said the lithium batteries would last longer not being on a "float" charge continuously. Lithium batteries are fine to let sit at a lower charge level and their longevity is more dictated by "charging/discharge" cycles.

If in a cold weather area, probably no way to avoid leaving it plugged in all the time.

I would think your fan should come on regardless of the switch position.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:26 PM   #13

THOR #26179
I leave the Refrigerator ( 12vdc) on, plus the other parasitic draws , I don't think, will never let the Batteries truly float much .