Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Mice! Again!!! 2022 20L Tellaro

I thought I was mouseproofed after extensive light tests at night, spray foam with Tomcat anti-rodent foam, etc etc... and they still are finding their way in.

My Mice-cube got this one- hadn't seen any evidence for weeks after winterizing, then today found another. Also found insulation behind wardrobe way at the top, that was eaten- so back to square one.
Firewall might be one place to look again- just not seeing any other places.
I did where propane comes into kitchen and a big one back by toilet main drain to tank. Not much poo this time- so this is a new visitor who found the PB in the cube. New cube set- no way to clean these. Next will be the Tomcat 'chip-clip' style that I can clean and re-use...

I am guessing a week+ ago when he/she got inside- lots of poo inside and it's dead, and all wet as they sweat like crazy inside these traps.

Argh!!

Suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8538.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	44441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8537.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	44442  

Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:42 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Not sure where you have it stored, but I would find a new location for RV for at least a week while you investigate and consider the other options. I wouldn't think they are living in the RV so you should really focus to get rid of them at they are likely living within 100 ft of the RV .
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:48 PM   #3

THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Not sure where you have it stored, but I would find a new location for RV for at least a week while you investigate and consider the other options. I wouldn't think they are living in the RV so you should really focus to get rid of them at they are likely living within 100 ft of the RV .
Storing at home now b/c I can remove my batteries easily now- so I know I am at risk with local rodents. I had my Rialta sealed and never got mice, so it's a matter of finding the hole. I know it only needs to be 1/4" as these guys have no clavicles...

Pic shows storage location, and also spot under toilet that had a 1" hole on the front side- all filled with Tomcat foam- they are not getting thru that- no evidence.

Local cats are not doing their job. I am using another mice-cube, and will go to Tomcat snap traps afterwards. PB is best bait!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Under toilet.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	44443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20L in sol.can..jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	44444  

Old 12-10-2023, 06:54 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I currently have four old-fashioned "snap traps" baited with peanut butter set in various spots in the motorhome. I check them at least once a week. So far no customers!
Old 12-10-2023, 07:00 PM   #5

THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I currently have four old-fashioned "snap traps" baited with peanut butter set in various spots in the motorhome. I check them at least once a week. So far no customers!
I just added to my post- I am using PB and my last mice-cube then Tomcat snap traps.

The Mice-cubes are impossible to clean.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tomcat.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	44446  
Old 12-10-2023, 07:11 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark54 View Post
Storing at home now b/c I can remove my batteries easily now- so I know I am at risk with local rodents. I had my Rialta sealed and never got mice, so it's a matter of finding the hole. I know it only needs to be 1/4" as these guys have no clavicles...

Pic shows storage location, and also spot under toilet that had a 1" hole on the front side- all filled with Tomcat foam- they are not getting thru that- no evidence.

Local cats are not doing their job. I am using another mice-cube, and will go to Tomcat snap traps afterwards. PB is best bait!
Is that real snow? If so; I am unqualified to offer any help

I didn't know mice lived in the snow. Seems like they would freeze to death?

But if I had to keep my RV in that spot and my wife had seen that mouse, it would be all out war. Around here neighbors complain when some use rat poison. I know it is politically incorrect, but I don't play with fire ants or rats or mice. I would get 6 Victor mouse traps and bait with rat poison. I am not feeding them peanut butter because they may get away. I want to try to trap them, but for those that get the bait, so be it, they will die later. I would also sprinkle some of the bait near the poles and keep replacing the bait until they quit taking it.

My goal would be to kill them from their source. But it is also rational to try to find the point of entry, but that could be difficult.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...IaAtvlEALw_wcB
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-10-2023, 07:19 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Maybe you should try going back to Mequiars #56 wax over RejeX; maybe a better shine will attract more customers
Old 12-10-2023, 07:37 PM   #8

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
dkoldman - Yes, mice can live in the cold and snow. They don't like it and try to gain entry to any place that will provide protection. I should know about cold and snow. I've lived in the Yukon for over 35 years!
I've given up trying to plug holes to keep the rodents out of our RV. Just when I thought I had it plugged, the little buggers got back in. This year, I'm trying something new. See https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ent-35601.html
We hear it every few days. But it never goes longer than the 30 seconds the motion sensor is set to use. My guess is the squirrels, being curious, go in, set the thing off which scares them and they go away. At least that's my hope. I see no damage as of today. But I'll wait until spring for my wife to pass judgement. Then I'll update the group.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #9

THOR #30506
Quote:
Is that real snow? If so; I am unqualified to offer any help

I didn't know mice lived in the snow. Seems like they would freeze to death?

But if I had to keep my RV in that spot and my wife had seen that mouse, it would be all out war. Around here neighbors complain when some use rat poison. I know it is politically incorrect, but I don't play with fire ants or rats or mice. I would get 6 Victor mouse traps and bait with rat poison. I am not feeding them peanut butter because they may get away. I want to try to trap them, but for those that get the bait, so be it, they will die later. I would also sprinkle some of the bait near the poles and keep replacing the bait until they quit taking it.

My goal would be to kill them from their source. But it is also rational to try to find the point of entry, but that could be difficult.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...IaAtvlEALw_wcB
That is real snow, and if warm enough, they will trudge thru it and find warmth or food in the middle of winter.

Old pic- no snow right now, and in 40's, so they are out looking for shelter and food.

Story from summer of 1978- stationed in Cobalt Ranger Station/ Salmon NF, USFS, in Idaho.

We got moved off the station to live in a 40' travel trailer they pulled out of storage so we could mark timber an hour out from the RS...

This TT was probably in storage 5+ yrs. 4 bunks, kitchen and dinette. Better than the army tent 'back home'...

All set up and 4 of us moved in, w/ food and clothes...

1st night- all kinds of noise inside from mice!!
Next morning all food was trashed. Boxes eaten and contents all over the kitchen.

Back to the RS for some traps-

1 box of 50 ea. "Trap, Type 1, Victor, Mouse"- US army surplus.
All 50 traps set the next evening using PB- got about 10 set, and snap-snapsnap snappity snap!! JEEZUS! I'm not even done!
All night- Snap, snap, snapsnap, snapsnapsnap!!! No sleep- laughing too hard.
Next morning empty and reload- one missing! Freakin supermouse got caught and ran off with the damn thing.
Took several nights to get most of them.

I know mice really well after all that. They were in the heating system below- never turned it on- would have killed us for sure with hantavirus. Surprised we didn't get sick anyways.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:04 PM   #10

THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
dkoldman - Yes, mice can live in the cold and snow. They don't like it and try to gain entry to any place that will provide protection. I should know about cold and snow. I've lived in the Yukon for over 35 years!
I've given up trying to plug holes to keep the rodents out of our RV. Just when I thought I had it plugged, the little buggers got back in. This year, I'm trying something new. See https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ent-35601.html
We hear it every few days. But it never goes longer than the 30 seconds the motion sensor is set to use. My guess is the squirrels, being curious, go in, set the thing off which scares them and they go away. At least that's my hope. I see no damage as of today. But I'll wait until spring for my wife to pass judgement. Then I'll update the group.
I have used U/S repellers as well- I have one hanging in the engine bay in tandem with my trickle charger. Not sure how effective it is- more to keep off the wires.

Vermont can be -30įF at times, but I think Yukon is like that a lot, yes??
I've seen mice run in the snow as well. Depends how hungry they get I guess...
Old 12-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Based on all of the above, I would surely sprinkle the bait like I had in link above (forgo the traps). They will take it back to their nest to horde it. It will eventually kill the entire next or colony. You may start to see some some wandering around during the day lost. Most will die inside the nest. It may take several weeks but it will kill the nest which would be my real goal.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #12

THOR #30506
Quote:
Based on all of the above, I would surely sprinkle the bait like I had in link above (forgo the traps). They will take it back to their nest to horde it. It will eventually kill the entire next or colony. You may start to see some some wandering around during the day lost. Most will die inside the nest. It may take several weeks but it will kill the nest which would be my real goal.
Thanks- last resort- They tend to stay in the van, which means bait on the ground and not sure if cats would eat it or not, esp. if 'fish-flavored'. Meanwhile- traps work ok.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:16 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks- last resort- They tend to stay in the van, which means bait on the ground and not sure if cats would eat it or not, esp. if 'fish-flavored'. Meanwhile- traps work ok.
Yes if they are nesting in a house or RV, not a good plan unless you know where the nest is. Smell could be awful.

Cats, birds and owls are why it is controversial (not illegal) around here when the bait is left out for rodents to take back to nest. Heck, I even hear complaining of the traps designed where they can only eat the poison, because some say another animal may eat the mouse or rat

I get the concern, but I don't have any rodents. Besides, it is illegal for cats or dogs to roam free in our parts especially if they are in my backyard.

I will put out some out tonight around the house just to see if we have any presence. When they are active they like to roam the fences at night. So if you have a bad neighbor that is not tidy, it is impossible to keep them away short a device like posted by YukonGrant.

FWIW, we have never seen any activity in or around our RV, but over the years we have seen some in the engine areas of a car that may have been parked outside. I use a old fashion Victors wooden/metal trap with baited poison if I am trying to catch one. If I think there are many, I sprinkle in various areas by count, the next day I replace any that our gone. I repeat until they just sit there. When there is no activity for about a week, I remove what is left.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:21 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongrant View Post
You sure those aren't penguins

That is interesting device in your link. I got a few questions for it, but I will do so on your other thread later. In the meantime, a picture of what you call a rodent in the Yukon might help. Me thinking Polar Bears or Penguins.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:28 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
We live in Tucson Arizona and battle these little buggers off and on in our Windsport 29m. Couple weeks ago we had a pizza and took the empty box Set 2 traps inside the box. Next morning 2 mice. Think the pizza odor really attracted them. Still looking for the tiny hole. I usually keep 4 to 5 traps set all the time. I have used the poison but had one die in a place I couldn't reach. Nasty odor for several weeks.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:48 PM   #16

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
You sure those aren't penguins

That is interesting device in your link. I got a few questions for it, but I will do so on your other thread later. In the meantime, a picture of what you call a rodent in the Yukon might help. Me thinking Polar Bears or Penguins.
No polar bears or penguins in our neighborhood. But we do get the occasional grizzly or black bear wander by our back fence. (And we live in the city! Our lot does back onto a greenbelt but our neighbors are within chatting distance without shouting.) As well as lots of other critters - foxes, lynx, martin and moose.

My wife loves the fact we have no snakes. Too cold for them. I guess we would have to sell the RV is a snake ever decides to take up residency!
Old 12-10-2023, 10:34 PM   #17

THOR #30506
Quote:
Yes if they are nesting in a house or RV, not a good plan unless you know where the nest is. Smell could be awful.

Cats, birds and owls are why it is controversial (not illegal) around here when the bait is left out for rodents to take back to nest. Heck, I even hear complaining of the traps designed where they can only eat the poison, because some say another animal may eat the mouse or rat

I get the concern, but I don't have any rodents. Besides, it is illegal for cats or dogs to roam free in our parts especially if they are in my backyard.

I will put out some out tonight around the house just to see if we have any presence. When they are active they like to roam the fences at night. So if you have a bad neighbor that is not tidy, it is impossible to keep them away short a device like posted by YukonGrant.

FWIW, we have never seen any activity in or around our RV, but over the years we have seen some in the engine areas of a car that may have been parked outside. I use a old fashion Victors wooden/metal trap with baited poison if I am trying to catch one. If I think there are many, I sprinkle in various areas by count, the next day I replace any that our gone. I repeat until they just sit there. When there is no activity for about a week, I remove what is left.
Light bulb just came on- what about white powder (not fentanyl) sprinkled on floor of accessible areas, and watch for foot prints? Find entry and plug,
Then vacuum up in the spring...baby powder maybe?
Old 12-10-2023, 11:52 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I would NEVER use rat poison. The victims invariably crawl off and die in an inaccessible place. Then come hot weather, you get that unmistakable perfume of rotting mouse in your motorhome. NO THANKS... learned that lesson LONG ago.

Kill them instantly at a convenient easy to reach spot with a CHEAP trap, CHEAP bait... then toss in trash. DONE.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:11 AM   #19

THOR #13058
I guess it is which comes first Chicken or the Egg ( i.e House (RV) or Outside? I would not use the poison if I had reason to believe they were living in my house or RV.

I use the poison outside like tonight when I don't really know of any activity. I am just fishing for mice. Tomorrow, I will know if any are within 100ft or so of where I placed. If so; I will keep it up until the bait are no longer being taken. As I said earlier, I do use the V Mouse Traps if I know I have activity, but I bait with the same poison so if they manage to get free from the trap. They likely have eaten or will take the bait with them.

I guess my end point I have no mice or rats. No mice, then they never can get in the RV or House to smell.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:21 AM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Light bulb just came on- what about white powder (not fentanyl) sprinkled on floor of accessible areas, and watch for foot prints? Find entry and plug,
Then vacuum up in the spring...baby powder maybe?
I can't imagine how many possible spots a tin mouse could squeeze through. Have you tried getting under the bottom of RV with lights on inside to look for light? You can also try in reverse by having someone in the dark RV with all of the cabinets open, go underneath with flashlight and see if they you trying to find an opening.

If I had a suspect area, versus wasting Fentanyl (Baby Powder) I would try those Glue traps that are rated to whole mice.

But to do what you want to accomplish, you are just going to have to find every opening you can that is a dime size, or larger and plug it. Even if you knew the exact hole they used; they will just find another, or if desperate, they may make another hole.