Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2023, 10:12 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
THOR #31378
Nightmare New 2023 Thor Gemini

Thor Gemini Brand new 2023 RV maiden journey issue synopsis
No help from Thor .....
1. Generator does not function. As such we were unable to use the RV off-grid due to lack of heat and electric. The vehicle was inspected by two separate service centers (one an authorized Cummins dealer) which determine the issue to be a defective fuel pump. Despite a replacement fuel pump being unavailable and thus leaving us without off-grid power, the service centers decline our request to have the entire generator replaced. From this point forward we can not RV camp anywhere that does not provide a suitable power grid connection. This changes our plans and expenses dramatically.
2. Water does not work unless connected to outside water source. Called Thor tech support and after hours of troubleshooting were unsuccessful in getting water from our fresh water tank. This once again limits our ability to camp, now restricting us to only facilities which supply a pressurized water source.
3. Slide-out living compartment has continually been problematic. Slide would stall repeatedly and eventually failed altogether. Brought RV to authorized service center in Michigan which after a full day of troubleshooting determined the slide motor and slide tracks to be defective. Service center was unable to repair the issue with parts on-hand and was also unable to source the parts in a timely manner, leaving us now with a vehicle we could not sleep in and requiring us to pay for hotels for overnight accommodation.
4. Onboard Sync navigation not functional. Issue was apparent on day one when driving the vehicle home after taking delivery. After back-and-forth with the dealership, they reported finding an improperly installed wire which would become pinched and cut signal, which was said to be repaired. After this we began to experience complete shut downs of the system. A Ford tech told us to bring vehicle to a service center and disconnect battery for reset which we did and paid for this service only temporarily fixed issue, issue has continued since.
5. Solar panel was not properly secured, causing it to detach from the roof under normal highway driving conditions. This caused it to fall onto the highway while driving and endanger other motorists, as well as leaving us without a solar power source.
6. The control screen displays a heat pump button which lights up when selected, but is nonfunctional. Told by service center that there is no heat pump installed in the vehicle, but it is normal for the button to appear anyway, despite it obviously causing confusion for users.
7. Various interior cosmetic and functional issues:
a. Bed retaining strap holders came detached from wall.
b. Screws coming through fronts of slide out drawers in dining area.
c. Dining room drawers drag on floor when side is being extended and retracted.
d. Closet mirror continually coming off track.
e. The tracks on multiple drawers broke.
f. Bathroom paneling beginning to come off of wall.
g. Velcro tabs around front windshield fastened into nothing of substance, thus falling out when curtain is attached to them.
h. Piece of air vent over bed came off.
The vehicle currently sits at the dealership where it was purchased as part of indefinite repairs leaving us without a unit with which we are unable to travel but for which we are still paying the loan and insurance.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sell it today.
Take the loss and chalk it up in whatever column makes you forget the entire thing.

A loss is often the greatest win.

Not everyone is an RV life candidate.
I say this because if you can't/won't fix Velcro....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:32 PM   #3

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Can you read this Post

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ers-34615.html

Then come back with what you think, want and/or plan of action for next steps or help.

Good luck.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:47 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Well, as most members of this forum will tell you every thing wrong with your new toy is your fault. You failed to properly research the brand. You failed to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. It is a hard lesson to learn, but with proper planning all of your troubles would have been averted. I know what your thinking, you laid out six figures for a camper from a 'reputable' manufacturer built on 'quality' chassis. What could go wrong? Now you know. I would suggest you call the dealer every day and ask about the status of your repairs. I would also call Thor Customer Service every day to make sure the dealer is getting authorization and ordering parts. You need to stay on top of both of them. I would also start watching youtube videos about RV ownership, maintenance and repairs. If you decide to keep it, you'll get the bugs worked out within a year or two and then you can start to enjoy your purchase. But the first couple of years can be a bear if your not a handy type of person.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:45 AM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I am not one to tell you the issues are your fault. I feel your pain. I'd be raising hell with somebody or all of them.
I'd start with the mopes at the "authorized" Cummins service centers.
The fuel pump for a 4K Onan genny is available on Amazoom from $17 -$25 next day Prime delivery. May not be factory parts but they could have got you on the road and installed OEM pump when it came available.
Then I'd call out the shop that said they couldn't get a slide motor. If you can get a slide motor with two-day delivery off of Amazoom, they surely could have gotten one overnighted.
We have found most RV dealerships around the country don't want to do warranty work on units they didn't sell. There not going to make any extra effort, sadly.
When we bought our first new RV we thought hey no different than buying a car boy, were we wrong. We have gone through what you are experiencing.
We learned quick got to keep after them. Good Luck!!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:41 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwman1 View Post
Thor Gemini Brand new 2023 RV maiden journey issue synopsis
No help from Thor .....
1. Generator does not function. As such we were unable to use the RV off-grid due to lack of heat and electric. The vehicle was inspected by two separate service centers (one an authorized Cummins dealer) which determine the issue to be a defective fuel pump. Despite a replacement fuel pump being unavailable and thus leaving us without off-grid power, the service centers decline our request to have the entire generator replaced. From this point forward we can not RV camp anywhere that does not provide a suitable power grid connection. This changes our plans and expenses dramatically.
2. Water does not work unless connected to outside water source. Called Thor tech support and after hours of troubleshooting were unsuccessful in getting water from our fresh water tank. This once again limits our ability to camp, now restricting us to only facilities which supply a pressurized water source.
3. Slide-out living compartment has continually been problematic. Slide would stall repeatedly and eventually failed altogether. Brought RV to authorized service center in Michigan which after a full day of troubleshooting determined the slide motor and slide tracks to be defective. Service center was unable to repair the issue with parts on-hand and was also unable to source the parts in a timely manner, leaving us now with a vehicle we could not sleep in and requiring us to pay for hotels for overnight accommodation.
4. Onboard Sync navigation not functional. Issue was apparent on day one when driving the vehicle home after taking delivery. After back-and-forth with the dealership, they reported finding an improperly installed wire which would become pinched and cut signal, which was said to be repaired. After this we began to experience complete shut downs of the system. A Ford tech told us to bring vehicle to a service center and disconnect battery for reset – which we did and paid for this service – only temporarily fixed issue, issue has continued since.
5. Solar panel was not properly secured, causing it to detach from the roof under normal highway driving conditions. This caused it to fall onto the highway while driving and endanger other motorists, as well as leaving us without a solar power source.
6. The control screen displays a heat pump button which lights up when selected, but is nonfunctional. Told by service center that there is no heat pump installed in the vehicle, but it is normal for the button to appear anyway, despite it obviously causing confusion for users.
7. Various interior cosmetic and functional issues:
a. Bed retaining strap holders came detached from wall.
b. Screws coming through fronts of slide out drawers in dining area.
c. Dining room drawers drag on floor when side is being extended and retracted.
d. Closet mirror continually coming off track.
e. The tracks on multiple drawers broke.
f. Bathroom paneling beginning to come off of wall.
g. Velcro tabs around front windshield fastened into nothing of substance, thus falling out when curtain is attached to them.
h. Piece of air vent over bed came off.
The vehicle currently sits at the dealership where it was purchased as part of indefinite repairs – leaving us without a unit with which we are unable to travel but for which we are still paying the loan and insurance.
How new is it? Can return to dealer?? If not, will be hard to sell as is, unless you fix all the issues, then at a huge loss. I would shove it back up the dealer's butt if it were mine.

You own it now, so either find a mobile tech, or learn how to fix yourself. It is a steep learning curve, but once you're thru it and learn how to fix/remedy, will be an expert!

Personally I'd dump the gnerator and replace with a battery bank as I did in a previous RV I had. Onan ("O-man!") generators are the biggest POS's in any RV. Lawn mowers with dynamos- very dirty, noisy, and PITA to maintain. I have a UHG now and much prefer that.

Slides are a PITA too- I had a mobile tech near me that said he hated them. But again learn and fix.

Owning an RV is not for the faint of heart. Mobile techs are great if you can find one nearby. Forget the dealer- they know less than you.

Wish I could help more- good luck!!
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:42 PM   #7

THOR #13058
For OP,

Not sure anyone is saying that it is buyers fault. Not in this thread anyway. I think it is just that some correctly acknowledges the realities of what you face. Some people (like me 4 years ago) had the luxury of documenting a list of issues that they have seen with a new coach to this forum before buying. I actually had that experience twice within 4 months where I had to walk away from a coach that I had spent a lot of time and effort to buy only to see it fail a PDI that I a newbie conducted. Call me lucky because I got all my money back. Funny thing though in my cases, my issues were NOT all Thor caused, those items were fixed or being fixed. In a way, Thor help me to hold the dealer accountable but the dealer didn't care. They just sell the coach to the next guy without breaking a sweat.

The link I posted was written with this in mind from a highly respected senior user of this forum with intent to help posters like yourself that did not have the luxury to catch the items that you would have otherwise expected to not be an issue in the first place.

Make no mistake it is NOT your fault the way the industry is, but it is your problem to deal with now. For some people, it is a hassle not worth dealing with, and that is what I believe one of the post were trying to advise earlier. Selling is a valid recourse. It is really all about what you want to do now is my point. I think there are people on the forum willing to help you every step of the way to fix or have fixed all the issues, just like there are those that are willing to help you cut bait and reset if that is what "you" decide you wish to do.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-30-2023, 03:31 PM   #8

THOR #31064
Flawless so far

Our 24 Compass 23te has been trouble free. Several trips no issues. Transit drives perfectly and getting 11-12 MPG. Sorry to hear you are having issues.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:03 PM   #9

THOR #24216
O.P. when our 2022 Class C was at the selling dealer for rear slide repairs under warranty, we found it best to visit in person as needed to stir the pot. Phone calls were worthless, as is often the case. Regarding contacting Thor customer service, we again found it better to do so via email rather than by phone calls. That way there was a written record of CS rep responses by name and date.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
I remember posting on here 4 years ago loosing it!
If wasn't for our service department and ford, would walked away and went back to boats! Haha

First 6 months we owned this rig, it was in shop 12 hours away with blown engine and ton of other issues for 6 months!

Owned 3, all have been adventure!

Best of luck 1 time poster!
Old 11-30-2023, 08:51 PM   #11

Model: Daybreak 30DB
State: Tennessee
THOR #22917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
O.P. when our 2022 Class C was at the selling dealer for rear slide repairs under warranty, we found it best to visit in person as needed to stir the pot. Phone calls were worthless, as is often the case. Regarding contacting Thor customer service, we again found it better to do so via email rather than by phone calls. That way there was a written record of CS rep responses by name and date.
I can't remember exactly who (maybe ducksface) told me a long time ago when I was having similar issues with my local CW dealer, show up with a box of tacos and try the kill em with kindness route. I was too far down the road of "going to corporate" but maybe give the box of tacos a try first.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:32 AM   #12

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Man , makes my TMC issues I had the first year minor compared to that list, talk nicely to TMC customer support , to insist it be taken back to the Factory to make it a usable RV .Email them your list or copy your post to them .

Please keep us informed & none of it is your fault .
Old 12-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #25683
Pre buy inspection

Did all of these things happen on just the first trip? Items not being secured got missed on the walk through pre buy inspection?
Old 12-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #14

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Why is it some here are like back seat drivers , if you don't know what to look for , it's hard to comprehend what's is right or wrong with the Rv .

It wasn't until I couldn't find a GFI receptacle ( which was tripped ), I started to open up compartments ( something most of us will not do on a walk through ) I started to find how QC was just almost non existent , like Hinges with only one or two screws attaching them , no Nipple on a sink drain line to the main drain , the Hub Couple was there but the nipple to attach it to the main drain & vent stack was not there , so when I tested the Bathroom. sink to test it it was just running on the floor behind the Refrigerator (how would I know that on a walk through). I didn't find this issue until in my search tracing wiring , I removed there Refrigerator , don't think anyone would remove the Refrigerator to inspect behind it .

There is a thread here on our issues with 120VAC SP , I finally got tired of the run around & replaced the Inverter myself & have no issues since & not the MV brand that was in there . I am more then qualified to completely rebuild this RV if needed , but I have replaced , repaired most of the issues , I still have the peeling wall paper to address .

When I hear some say 'its all your fault " I have to laugh , must be great to be perfect .

Most RV dealers have no clue of how the LI battery systems work also.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:46 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
Why is it some here are like back seat drivers , if you don't know what to look for , it's hard to comprehend what's is right or wrong with the Rv .

It wasn't until I couldn't find a GFI receptacle ( which was tripped ), I started to open up compartments ( something most of us will not do on a walk through ) I started to find how QC was just almost non existent , like Hinges with only one or two screws attaching them , no Nipple on a sink drain line to the main drain , the Hub Couple was there but the nipple to attach it to the main drain & vent stack was not there , so when I tested the Bathroom. sink to test it it was just running on the floor behind the Refrigerator (how would I know that on a walk through). I didn't find this issue until in my search tracing wiring , I removed there Refrigerator , don't think anyone would remove the Refrigerator to inspect behind it .

There is a thread here on our issues with 120VAC SP , I finally got tired of the run around & replaced the Inverter myself & have no issues since & not the MV brand that was in there . I am more then qualified to completely rebuild this RV if needed , but I have replaced , repaired most of the issues , I still have the peeling wall paper to address .

When I hear some say 'its all your fault " I have to laugh , must be great to be perfect .

Most RV dealers have no clue of how the LI battery systems work also.
I agree with your point, but I don't see where anyone say's 'its all your fault " ? What did I miss.

FWIW, I found an issue with the SOB coach that I bought that did pass my 6 hour PDI. After a few months of ownership, knowing that my gray tank was full; I mistakenly kept using the bathroom sink thinking it was going to the black tank. It was not. The gray tank did not back to the shower as you would think, rather the fitting over the gray tank was loose so all of the gray overflow went into lower compartment

I guess I could have bashed WBGO's quality, but I didn't. I assume that is what the warranty is for. Now I did have to call WBGO directly to get it fixed with priority because the dealer would have taken 2 months back then. It was fixed in a week. But to your point, no one is going to test a full black or full gray tank. There are PDI Checklist to tell you the type of things to check. I think the goal is to not miss anything major that is easy check or the obvious.

Note: OP was a one post & done, not sure he even came back to read post #2 or anything else?
Old 12-01-2023, 09:22 PM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
No one said it
No one alluded to it.
It was injected, purposefully.
Or
It was assumed and the posts were never read by the accuser.

Either way, it shows a specific something.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
OP has not been back to the Forum since his post was made. Maybe he's reading the responses in email and has nothing else to add. Maybe his post got the desired effect as the THOR TEAM has checked out his profile at least - maybe they have reached out to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RWMAN1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	44389  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:03 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If that's the case...pretty cool. They've been know to send out a driver and bring super problematic coaches back to the factory themselves.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:37 PM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
OP has not been back to the Forum since his post was made. Maybe he's reading the responses in email and has nothing else to add. Maybe his post got the desired effect as the THOR TEAM has checked out his profile at least - maybe they have reached out to them.
If that is or was the case, it would NOT surprise me one bit based on my experience with Thor. If I had a distinction it was my experience may have been only with their Product Management Team and not true Customer Service because I did not actually own a coach? Whatever the case, they impressed me.

But on the flip side, assuming the OP got results they need by inflaming Thor to reach out; is IMO in part why it is so hard to take your RV to any Dealer to get it serviced. You get an uninformed RV Owner taking their coach to a 3rd party dealer and expecting world like results for free on a coach they didn't sell you. If they try to accommodate and charge you their regular fees, the RV owner still won't hesitate to get on social media and bash that dealer for that one trivia something that the dealer could not fix or be held responsible for some defect.

Oh well, I am glad I am not a RV Mfg. If I were, I would hire the Duck to answer the phones. We would have ZERO issues
Old 12-01-2023, 11:48 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Question for dk... do you feel you paid a premium for the WBGO name? Granted the quality, perceived or not, is there regardless. But comparing floorplans, was your out-the-door price appreciably more than a similar Thor unit?