Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2023, 05:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20L
State: Virginia
THOR #28761
Angry No power in coach except with 30Amp feed or engine running 2023 Sequence 20L

When boondocking battery voltage dissipates, OK with 30Amp source or running engine

Mod EDIT: RV is 2023 Sequence 20L

Old 01-01-2023, 05:58 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Check that your main DC breaker - usually near the battery - isn't tripped. it has a small flag that extends when tripped.

When plugged to shore power your DC converter is supplying DC to your 12volt system. Same with engine running.

There's threads on the forum showing pics of the main breaker.

Check the pic in this:
40 amp Circuit Breaker for Trolling Motor Motorhome Trailer Camper Truck Motorhome Boat Solar Project Power Battery Bank Inverter Breaker 12V - 72V with Manual Reset Trip Button https://a.co/d/fdXGqOy
Old 01-01-2023, 06:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvrkds View Post
When boondocking battery voltage dissipates, OK with 30Amp source or running engine
Dissipates how quickly? You have not described a problem, when boondocking it is normal to use the energy in the battery to operate lights, the fridge, water heater, radio, etc.

Also, for better help you should include the Year/Make/Model of your RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:15 PM   #4

THOR #28761
Config on 2023 Sequence 20L is two 200 amp Li batteries and additional alternator. Power is gone after 3-5 hours with no appliances connected except for refrig and Winegard ???? RV at dealer now
Old 01-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Config on 2023 Sequence 20L is two 200 amp Li batteries and additional alternator. Power is gone after 3-5 hours with no appliances connected except for refrig and Winegard ???? RV at dealer now

Did you upgrade to two 200Ah batteries yourself? According to the brochure two 100Ah batteries is standard with 460Ah as an option.

Is your fridge a 12V fridge or residential fridge?

Do you have a Smart Shunt that shows how may amps are being drawn when you are not on shore power or have the engine running?

Have you confirmed the batteries are charging when on shore power using a voltmeter?
Old 01-01-2023, 07:12 PM   #6

THOR #28761
Thanks,
RV back to General RV this week. Been trying to figure what/why this condition exists. This is a brand spanking NEW RV
Old 01-08-2023, 01:05 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
Well either your batteries don't charge or hold a charge or there is some type of load that you don't realize exists. If you don't have a built in shunt to measure current into and out of the batteries you can use something like this https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/a...er-acdc100.htm which is what I use. There could be some type of load on the batteries including worn or bad insulation on a 12V conductor that is enough to draw a reasonable load without tripping a breaker or blowing a fuse. You can also use it to check to see that charging current is going into the battery.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:53 PM   #8

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I'd start the trouble shooting with a infrared thermometer...

If all it takes is to disconnect from a charge source (shore/UHG when engine running) to discharge the batteries...something is just shy of shorting is happening (dead short or super high current draw would kick out the BMS).

If you truly are draining 400ah in a couple hours, that will generate a lot of heat somewhere.

Then again, it wouldn't be out of the question that the Balmar display isn't configured properly and all is well, just displaying incorrect information.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:02 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
The suggestion by RonRM to use a infrared thermometer reminded me that I use a Seek Thermal infrared camera attachment to my iPhone. Reasonably priced and gives you a large field of view. Also very handy for spotting poor insulation, leaky windows, overheating terminations, etc. https://www.thermal.com/compact-series.html
Old 01-08-2023, 04:50 PM   #10

THOR #27874
Adding that to my Xmas/Birthday list...cool idea
Old 01-09-2023, 02:37 PM   #11

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
My bet would be a problem with the Balmar display showing incorrect information as Ron suggested.

Mine has done that several times. On one occasion my Balmar showed 0% SOC while the air conditioner was running on the inverter. I know there was at least 60% of battery capacity left.

I would check your configuration on the Balmar display. Make sure your battery chemistry reflects "Relion LifoPo4" as the battery type and your A/h are set correctly. My problems have not reoccurred since I did that. Much easier if you have the bluetooth dongle. That is about a $60 part you can get from Amazon and is "plug and play". Once you change your configuration in that device, your Balmar display will reset and update. You can also update the Balmar software with the bluetooth device. I leave mine attached to the Balmar all the time to see the same data that is on the display.

You may want to confirm you have 400 a/h and not 200 a/h of total capacity. If not mistaken, the 400 a/h system has the batteries mounted inside the coach somewhere and the 200 a/h system has the two 100 a/h batteries underneath the van in front of the axels. That makes a huge difference if the Balmar set incorrectly.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:07 AM   #12

THOR #28761
Quote:
Thanks,
RV back to General RV this week. Been trying to figure what/why this condition exists. This is a brand spanking NEW RV
Well, I have an answer. Dont have the exact answer yet But seems like there was a module that acts as a timer????? For the LI batteries, THAT was missing. ???
Old 01-10-2023, 03:46 AM   #13

THOR #28761
System is a 200 A/hr, not 400, sorry misspoke.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:00 PM   #14

THOR #27874
Glad for you that it was just the timer module...simple fix.

The timer module engages when you run the air conditioning and the microwave at the same time (when inverting power from batteries). I believe it senses the microwave drawing power and disables it for a couple of mins. There is a recall on them if they have a date code before 5/22 (could be earlier don't exactly remember).

I suppose one of the failure modes could be to stay on and draw power from the 12v system.

My 2023 20L/200ah came with a recalled module, (looks like little red/pinkish heat shrink around a 1.5" square circuit board with connector). I found that mine needed to be replaced. I called Thor, they wanted me to take the rig to a dealer due to recall repair. I'm not one to take it to the dealer unless I have no other options, ordered one directly from KIB ($25 + shipping). Especially, something that just needs to be unplugged and a new one plugged back in.

I wonder why/how a dealer can deliver a vehicle without addressing a recall issue.

Ron
Old 01-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #15

THOR #28761
Quote:
Thanks for the update/info on the timer.
Also, After talking to Thor T/S , I was disappointed that it wasn’t going to do more….My original power/heat problem did not involve the Micro a/o A/C (fact is, we have not yet used either one).
General RV said that all is working…??????
So, I’m wondering how this will work on next weeks boondocking.

Thanks Again