Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor's concept B from RVX

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Thanks for posting. One of the better and more interesting videos from Thor.

Yes, they should build it. The Fiat Ducato or RAM ProMaster makes a great van camper -- if only drivetrain was a little stronger.

Looks to have a lot of influence from Hymer. The floorplan is exactly like Winnebago's Travato. If they bring it to market, they better come up with better floorplans.

Interesting they mention that some buyers don't like slides.

It's too bad Thor don't accept that we have different tastes for whatever reasons and start offering some smaller Class As like Axis without slides. What do they have to lose? Or are they concerned that a lower-cost slideless option will cannibalize more expensive units?

Anyway, nice to hear the Sequence would come in under $100k, which is a lot less than their Mercedes touring coaches almost twice as expensive, and not well suited for camping.

They should build it, but offer at least 3 floorplans, including some with forward facing seats.

Also of interest was comment about how you'd need three extra levels of drivers license to drive the typical US Class A in Australia. We seem to be the only ones who think it's OK to let someone who's never driven anything larger than a pickup or a van drive a 35~40 ft motorhome.

Nice van, but will have a lot of direct competition.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
New Sequence Class B

Looks like the Sequence is more real now:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/motor...omes/sequence/

They are also having a live walkthrough on Facebook today at 11:30am Eastern.
https://www.facebook.com/ThorMotorCo...type=3&theater

Will also likely be on their youtube channel as well.

Edit: Yup on their youtube channel as well:

Edit 2: and on twitter:
https://twitter.com/ThorMotorCoach/s...73767222812676
Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a link to the live feed (can watch it later):
Old 07-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the update!

It doesn't look like they're bringing Hymer into the fold; as much as they simply bought them for their experience in the "B" market...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

THOR #2121
The Hymer version is under the Sunlight brand as the Cliff 4X4 Adventure concept van. Note it’s on high-roof Ducato 4X4 van we don’t get in North America. While the design concept is extreme, some of the features are very nice.

https://newatlas.com/sunlight-cliff-...concept/60596/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB6E311D-2237-43DD-BB40-66CCD926CECC.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	19118  
Old 07-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
https://www.lamesarv.com/2020/thor-m...ass-b/sn132376

Looks like there is one for sale in California. One show stopper for me is the 12v only refrigerator. The coach has a propane tank but no propane or even 110v fridge?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:17 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This is for the
Tiny house
fad followers.

Resale will be on Yugo levels, but with 20 year financing in the way of dumping it.

Tiny house buyers are... Well... Tiny house buyers....
Old 07-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
https://www.lamesarv.com/2020/thor-m...ass-b/sn132376

Looks like there is one for sale in California. One show stopper for me is the 12v only refrigerator. The coach has a propane tank but no propane or even 110v fridge?
What’s wrong with 12V refrigerator? Most camper vans have gone to DC compressor refrigerators in place of propane-fueled or electric-heated absorption refrigerators. That refrigerator under the counter is tiny (I’d guess 3~4 cubic feet) and should require only about 30 Watts to run. Propane would add weight, require an opening for venting (which look worse in vans), and make fridge capacity even lower. Efficient DC compressor refrigerators are the future, even in larger rigs. You can now get them up to ~ 10 cubic feet that fit in previous 7~8 cubic-foot space. The issue for me is that it’s too small, and too low.

Thanks for posting La Mesa ad. It’s interesting that the price is almost half of what the more expensive Thor Class Bs go for. It’s no wonder Thor’s market share of Class Bs has been so low. There can’t be that many buyers looking to spend $150,000 on a van.

That same floorplan doesn’t appear to me to have worked out as well for Winnebago as the 59G which is more Hymer-like. I’d be curious to know why they went with that floorplan (which also didn’t last with Axis/Vegas). The motorhome’s size and price is good, but the floorplan is nothing I’d consider.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thor Industries sent me a link to the Sequence video this morning...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What’s wrong with 12V refrigerator? Most camper vans have gone to DC compressor refrigerators in place of propane-fueled or electric-heated absorption refrigerators. That refrigerator under the counter is tiny (I’d guess 3~4 cubic feet) and should require only about 30 Watts to run. Propane would add weight, require an opening for venting (which look worse in vans), and make fridge capacity even lower. Efficient DC compressor refrigerators are the future, even in larger rigs. You can now get them up to ~ 10 cubic feet that fit in previous 7~8 cubic-foot space. The issue for me is that it’s too small, and too low.

Thanks for posting La Mesa ad. It’s interesting that the price is almost half of what the more expensive Thor Class Bs go for. It’s no wonder Thor’s market share of Class Bs has been so low. There can’t be that many buyers looking to spend $150,000 on a van.

That same floorplan doesn’t appear to me to have worked out as well for Winnebago as the 59G which is more Hymer-like. I’d be curious to know why they went with that floorplan (which also didn’t last with Axis/Vegas). The motorhome’s size and price is good, but the floorplan is nothing I’d consider.
My last 12v fridge was on my first RV (2006) and it did not work at all on 12v. It was a 3 way Dometic (I believe) which worked on either 110 or propane but wouldn’t keep anything even cool on 12v. I will be interested in seeing comments on how owners like the 12v fridge and in reading anything else on it. Everything else has improved in the last 13 years since my last 12v fridge, so I am open to seeing if this one works. I agree with the size and especially with having to crawl on the floor to use it. That was one if the nice things in upgrading to a Class C and now an A. If you go from an A to a B, you have to expect downsizing mostly everything. You’re right in that the fridge is one area you would like to see stay as big as possible. Since there is already a propane tank in the Sequence for the burners and I guess the hot water and heat (?), a dual propane fridge would give you an option while dry camping. Given the size of the water and holding tanks, it would be more challenging to balance water, waste, battery and propane supplies. I love my Axis (we have had one since 2014 and driven it all over the US and Canada) but we don’t go on 3-4 month trips anymore and primarily use our RV to travel from Florida to Nova Scotia and back in the summer. For a couple of three week trips a year and additional weekenders, a Class B might make sense for us - especially if I could use it for a second car and downsize to a car and a van instead of two cars and an RV that sits most of the year. Something to explore in the RV shows in Florida this winter. By then there should be some more info out there.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
My last 12v fridge was on my first RV (2006) and it did not work at all on 12v. It was a 3 way Dometic (I believe) which worked on either 110 or propane but wouldn’t keep anything even cool on 12v. I will be interested in seeing comments on how owners like the 12v fridge and in reading anything else on it. Everything else has improved in the last 13 years since my last 12v fridge, so I am open to seeing if this one works. ....cut.....
The cooling systems are completely different. It’s not even like comparing apples and oranges, because those are at least both fruit and about the same size.

What you had was an absorption refrigerator that works from heat. That heat could come from a propane flame, or an electric resistance to produce heat. It’s extremely inefficient to cool a fridge using 12V battery to produce heat. It’s borderline stupid if we’re honest with possible exception of using alternator current while driving to save propane.

The new 12V refrigerators do NOT use heat to power an absorption cooling cycle at all, but rather use a compressor just like a home residential refrigerator. The only difference is that the compressor motor is 12V direct current instead of 115V alternating current. You can’t compare at all to your previous fridge in any meaningful way.

I’m not saying these will be flawless (only time will tell) but you can’t go by what old absorption refrigerators did in the past. Quality 12VDC fridges in van campers have been very successful for years. I don’t know which brand Thor is using.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The cooling systems are completely different. It’s not even like comparing apples and oranges, because those are at least both fruit and about the same size.

What you had was an absorption refrigerator that works from heat. That heat could come from a propane flame, or an electric resistance to produce heat. It’s extremely inefficient to cool a fridge using 12V battery to produce heat. It’s borderline stupid if we’re honest with possible exception of using alternator current while driving to save propane.

The new 12V refrigerators do NOT use heat to power an absorption cooling cycle at all, but rather use a compressor just like a home residential refrigerator. The only difference is that the compressor motor is 12V direct current instead of 115V alternating current. You can’t compare at all to your previous fridge in any meaningful way.

I’m not saying these will be flawless (only time will tell) but you can’t go by what old absorption refrigerators did in the past. Quality 12VDC fridges in van campers have been very successful for years. I don’t know which brand Thor is using.
Thanks. I understand. I have only had absorption RV refrigerators and have no experience with the new compressor ones. The compressor refrigerators also apparently do not have the leveling issues that the absorption ones do. All the compressor RV refrigerators I have looked at come in either just 12v or both 115 and 12v and the two way are less than $100 different. Probably not a big deal.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #14

THOR #2121
The thing to also remember is that if you have 115 VAC available then the converter will give you all the 12 VDC you’ll need for the fridge. This 115 VAC could be from shore 30A or generator.

On the other hand, when boondocking and running off batteries, having the fridge run directly at 12 VDC is more efficient, making batteries last longer.

Refrigerators of that size often run on about 2.5 Amps at 12 Volts, so only require 60 Ah daily. That’s easy to make up from solar or alternator. Or you could run generator for about an hour. The van has two large batteries so powering tiny fridge should be easy.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #15

THOR #1765
Right. On shore power or generator, there would be no issue in running the fridge and charging the batteries. The only question is on the road. If the Sequence has a BIRD or BCC that allows the engine alternator to recharge the coach batteries, the that will make little difference either.