Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2023, 09:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Promaster Key Fob Unavailability and Problems

Been waiting a month for new fob. Just got a call today. Another 25 days before it’s expected to come in. I did read if there is a problem programming the fob it may have been programmed to a different vehicle. Once it is programmed it cannot be used on another vehicle. Any chance the fob sent to you was “used”?

Old 03-08-2023, 03:03 PM   #22

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
I would like to think it was not used but anything is possible I suppose.

I would hope the Ram dealer should be able to clear it if that is possible but that is a good point. I really do not have a lot of confidence that the Ram dealer knows what they are doing and am waiting for the Ram Warranty people for further guidance. I have been working and not had the time to try another dealer yet but that is probably my next stop.

I was advised when they program a new fob, they have to have the old one also at the same time or the old one will not work. I am just glad they didn't try and clear the old one first because fear at that point neither would work and would then be stuck with a non moving van.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Our new Sprinter based coach only had one fob. The dealer searched everywhere and couldn't find it but said they would pay for another one. The Mercedes dealer confirmed all units are now shipped with only one fob...due to shortages. She said most vans used for RV's are the same...shipped with one fob. Campers are what RV dealers are about...they could care less about the chassis, or even registering the warranty when you purchase. I have to take coach to the MB dealer, verify VIN and ownership just to order another fob. Then go back with chassis to have it programed. The RV dealer will reimburse me for total cost (this will result in an issue also).
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:07 PM   #24

THOR #28919
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
I would like to think it was not used but anything is possible I suppose.

I would hope the Ram dealer should be able to clear it if that is possible but that is a good point. I really do not have a lot of confidence that the Ram dealer knows what they are doing and am waiting for the Ram Warranty people for further guidance. I have been working and not had the time to try another dealer yet but that is probably my next stop.

I was advised when they program a new fob, they have to have the old one also at the same time or the old one will not work. I am just glad they didn't try and clear the old one first because fear at that point neither would work and would then be stuck with a non moving van.

What a nightmare! I’m starting to worry I’m gonna be going through the same thing when my new fob finally comes in.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #25

THOR #28919
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Our new Sprinter based coach only had one fob. The dealer searched everywhere and couldn't find it but said they would pay for another one. The Mercedes dealer confirmed all units are now shipped with only one fob...due to shortages. She said most vans used for RV's are the same...shipped with one fob. Campers are what RV dealers are about...they could care less about the chassis, or even registering the warranty when you purchase. I have to take coach to the MB dealer, verify VIN and ownership just to order another fob. Then go back with chassis to have it programed. The RV dealer will reimburse me for total cost (this will result in an issue also).

I just wish I didn’t have the keyless start button. Seems like this is the issue.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:32 PM   #26

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I agree this is a major issue if you only got one Fob. Also agree with Sparks701 and wish I didn't have the pushbutton start. The technology is great until the dealers can't even make it work! My dealer also said they would pay me for a new one but wonder if they know it isn't gonna happen....

My biggest concern is not just having one working key, but what happens if the one I have got damaged or just didn't work for an unknown reason and the dealer can not even program a new one? Does the van just become a lawn ornament?

Hoping within the next several months that vehicle locksmiths will "catch up" with the software that only dealers have but only time will tell. It is obviously a very low priority to the Ram dealer I have taken it to and my next step is to find another dealer. The Ram dealer blames Thor for everything regardless if it chassis related.

Keep in mind the Ram Promaster is not really a Dodge product but is actually a "Fiat" which led to some confusion for my Ram dealer. They could not figure out if they should use a four or five digit PIN code when trying to program it but ultimitely said neither would work.

The Ram customer service people have also been very slow to assist and have posted this problem on the Promaster Forum as well.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:22 PM   #27

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Dang , makes me feel special , I got four with my Sanctuary . & they all work !
Old 03-09-2023, 12:36 AM   #28

THOR #28919
Just paid $164 for a year for the damn ram app to be able to unlock my doors with my phone just in case I lock my only key in the van while across country on a trip.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:56 AM   #29

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
THOR #20274
Dodge Key Fob Programming: Step-by-Step Guide
Key fob programming for Dodge fobs is a breeze and can be done in less than five minutes, which is something DIYers should be glad to hear! Just follow these six easy steps:

Get behind the wheel of your vehicle and lock the door with your key fob within ten seconds after entry.
Put your key in the ignition and turn it on while holding down the “UNLOCK” button.
Hold down both the “UNLOCK” button and the “PANIC” button, then release them both at the same time.
Press “UNLOCK” again.
Test to see if your car now recognizes the key fob by getting out of the vehicle, locking it, then trying to unlock it with the key fob.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:10 AM   #30

THOR #28919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Key fob programming for Dodge fobs is a breeze and can be done in less than five minutes, which is something DIYers should be glad to hear! Just follow these six easy steps:

Get behind the wheel of your vehicle and lock the door with your key fob within ten seconds after entry.
Put your key in the ignition and turn it on while holding down the “UNLOCK” button.
Hold down both the “UNLOCK” button and the “PANIC” button, then release them both at the same time.
Press “UNLOCK” again.
Test to see if your car now recognizes the key fob by getting out of the vehicle, locking it, then trying to unlock it with the key fob.

The keys that Robert and I have are on the push button to start models. There is no key to insert into the ignition. Wish it was that simple for us but technology is kicking us in the ……….
Old 03-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #31

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

Press “UNLOCK” again.
Sorry, U lost me at "Put your key in the ignition"......
Old 03-09-2023, 01:58 PM   #32

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Just paid $164 for a year for the damn ram app to be able to unlock my doors with my phone just in case I lock my only key in the van while across country on a trip.
I looked at that app when I first bought mine. The pushbutton start models are not "supposed" to allow you to lock your keys in the vehicle but I am too afraid to test that theory. I guess I should try that leaving the wife inside etc. I would have paid for the app if it would allow me to remotely start my van but no such luck there either. Not a bad idea however to have it for the unlock feature if that works especially if the only key we have can be locked inside.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:46 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I looked at that app when I first bought mine. The pushbutton start models are not "supposed" to allow you to lock your keys in the vehicle but I am too afraid to test that theory. I guess I should try that leaving the wife inside etc. I would have paid for the app if it would allow me to remotely start my van but no such luck there either. Not a bad idea however to have it for the unlock feature if that works especially if the only key we have can be locked inside.
We had a 2015 Honda CRV with the pushbutton start that was supposed to not allow you to lock your keys inside per the salesman. We proved that wrong. Common sense says that if you are parked and sitting inside the car you may want to lock the doors for safety. My wife does that all the time when she decides to sit in the car in the Lowes parking lot while I run inside for a couple of screws.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #34

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
We had a 2015 Honda CRV with the pushbutton start that was supposed to not allow you to lock your keys inside per the salesman. We proved that wrong. Common sense says that if you are parked and sitting inside the car you may want to lock the doors for safety. My wife does that all the time when she decides to sit in the car in the Lowes parking lot while I run inside for a couple of screws.
In this world, completely agree you should be able to lock the doors while inside with the key. On my van, if my wife gets out of the vehicle while I have it running even if I have the key in the van, it starts beeping and warning me on the dash that "key not in vehicle". Stupid!
Technology is not all that it is cracked up to be that is for sure and would love to go back in time with regard to this kind of crap.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:58 PM   #35

THOR #28919
Quote:

Haven’t tried locking while in it. I hope I can lock it when I am at a camp ground and in bed? Hadn’t thought about that. Definitely have to look into that before we head out on our 1st trip in 2 weeks.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #36
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
On my 23 Tellaro the doors lock when the lock button on the dash (below radio, etc) is pushed.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:22 PM   #37

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Haven’t tried locking while in it. I hope I can lock it when I am at a camp ground and in bed? Hadn’t thought about that. Definitely have to look into that before we head out on our 1st trip in 2 weeks.
We never had any problem locking ourselves in on our last camping trip. I did notice we couldn't get out however without using the Fob or pressing the button on the dash once inside as just moving the door handle to the sliding door from the inside did not unlock it. I don't think we could open the back door either.

Just keep that in mind if you ever need to get out in a hurry and started keeping the fob close to the exit door. I don't think there is a mechanical way to unlock the sliding or rear door but could be wrong.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:32 AM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
There is a button on the dashboard that will lock you in. It lights up when locked.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:50 AM   #39

THOR #28919
Quote:
We never had any problem locking ourselves in on our last camping trip. I did notice we couldn't get out however without using the Fob or pressing the button on the dash once inside as just moving the door handle to the sliding door from the inside did not unlock it. I don't think we could open the back door either.

Just keep that in mind if you ever need to get out in a hurry and started keeping the fob close to the exit door. I don't think there is a mechanical way to unlock the sliding or rear door but could be wrong.

That doesn’t seem very safe. Gonna have to do some testing this weekend.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:21 AM   #40

THOR #26907
I finally heard back from the Ram Warranty Service Center (RamCares) only to find out that Ram does not care (pun intended). The representative advised me that my Ram dealer advised them that Thor removed and altered the bumper on my vehicle so the fact that a new key can not be programmed is not their problem. They recommended contacting the selling dealer or Thor which I have already done. The Ram Cares represented stated she was going to close the case and that she was very busy with Ram Van transmission problems. Now that was reassuring! Somehow the inability to program a key for this vehicles did not seem like a very important problem since I have one that works.

When I spoke with Thor, they assured me they do not remove or alter the bumpers on these vehicles in any way so it is not their problem and deny any warranty obligation.

Guess we can see where this is going. It is good I have one working key.

RamCares advised it might not be a bad idea to try another Ram dealer who might be better at programming keys since the dealerI was using could never figure out if they should use a four or five digit pin code during the programming process.