Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
I think I would speak lawyer or spring for the fix , be done with it & get extra key fob's. Both are going to cost ya .

Old 03-18-2023, 02:00 PM   #42

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Did you post any of this on the Ram Promaster Owners Facebook page.

There is a guy on that forum 'Kip' that apparently owns Promasters Only in Ohio.

He seems to be the defacto expert on all things Promaster.

I'd start calling places like that, might as well, since Ram and the dealers seem to be out of ideas/options.

I'm assuming this is a keyless vehicle, maybe not...but if it is, why not go to an auto alarm company and ask them to replace the entire thing with a auto-start/remote lock system.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:50 PM   #43

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
Did you post any of this on the Ram Promaster Owners Facebook page.

There is a guy on that forum 'Kip' that apparently owns Promasters Only in Ohio.

He seems to be the defacto expert on all things Promaster.

I'd start calling places like that, might as well, since Ram and the dealers seem to be out of ideas/options.

I'm assuming this is a keyless vehicle, maybe not...but if it is, why not go to an auto alarm company and ask them to replace the entire thing with a auto-start/remote lock system.

Ron
I have posted this on the Promaster Forum and that is also where I contacted "RamCares" which is the Ram Warranty Customer Assistance program. They honestly have not been much help as previously mentioned.

I don't do facebook and probably never will for reasons I won't get in to here.

It is a keyless vehicle with "push button" start and that is what seems to be the issue. Automotive locksmiths can do nothing with it because according to them Ram does not allow them to have the needed software because it is too new.

I am going to attempt another Ram dealer when I get the time.

This issue seems somewhat trivial I know but it certainly won't be if something happens to the only working key I have.

Thanks for suggestion.

I agree with Fourthgear and certainly would just pay for the fix if there was one to be had but have found no way to get this done for any reasnonable price at this time.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:31 PM   #44

THOR #26907
For anyone interested, this is a post on the Ram Promaster forum from another user with a similar key problem:

Ram Service on the new 2023 Promasters is a joke and the dealers have no idea how to repair them. Be warned!

I had a key stolen June 2022. I asked the dealer to help me get a new one made. It turned out that Ram was producing bad control modules that would not allow them to program new keys. So i had to have a new module ordered. This initially took close to 8 months to arrive... Fortunately at this time I did have 1 key and the car worked.

When they finally got the parts in I brought my car in to get my new key they told me they would like to have it for a day or two since programming this was new for them.. Ok that felt reasonable.. Well that was February 6th and my car is still at the dealer and it now is completely bricked and will not start. Apparently in attempting to program the control module a different module was fried.. They ordered a new module and then fried it a second time.. I've now been advised by Ram that I need to replace the following

Body Control Module,
Powertrain Control Module
the Radio frequency hub
2new keys

here are the ETA on these parts
2 parts are there now and we are still waiting for 2.
I have sent the parts still needed to our parts team to see if there is anything we can do to help them get there sooner.

Part number: 68524831AF
ETA:  Jun 07,2023
Description: BCM

Part number: 7FF24LXHAB
ETA:  May 25,2023
Description: TRANSMITE

So that leaves me waiting at the earliest 4 months with no van just to get a spare key made. They clearly have no clue how to work on these new vans so good luck if you break anything. I am fully expecting these new parts to not work and i will be asking for them to replace the van or pay me out for it.. Hoping to not have to get a lawer involved but I will do what I need to do.

Ya'll have been warned I'd cherish my spare keys with my life lol
Old 03-28-2023, 06:43 PM   #45
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
For anyone interested, this is a post on the Ram Promaster forum from another user with a similar key problem:

Ram Service on the new 2023 Promasters is a joke and the dealers have no idea how to repair them. Be warned!

I had a key stolen June 2022. I asked the dealer to help me get a new one made. It turned out that Ram was producing bad control modules that would not allow them to program new keys. So i had to have a new module ordered. This initially took close to 8 months to arrive... Fortunately at this time I did have 1 key and the car worked.

When they finally got the parts in I brought my car in to get my new key they told me they would like to have it for a day or two since programming this was new for them.. Ok that felt reasonable.. Well that was February 6th and my car is still at the dealer and it now is completely bricked and will not start. Apparently in attempting to program the control module a different module was fried.. They ordered a new module and then fried it a second time.. I've now been advised by Ram that I need to replace the following

Body Control Module,
Powertrain Control Module
the Radio frequency hub
2new keys

here are the ETA on these parts
2 parts are there now and we are still waiting for 2.
I have sent the parts still needed to our parts team to see if there is anything we can do to help them get there sooner.

Part number: 68524831AF
ETA:  Jun 07,2023
Description: BCM

Part number: 7FF24LXHAB
ETA:  May 25,2023
Description: TRANSMITE

So that leaves me waiting at the earliest 4 months with no van just to get a spare key made. They clearly have no clue how to work on these new vans so good luck if you break anything. I am fully expecting these new parts to not work and i will be asking for them to replace the van or pay me out for it.. Hoping to not have to get a lawer involved but I will do what I need to do.

Ya'll have been warned I'd cherish my spare keys with my life lol
That would be any easy Lemon Law buy back in Florida.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #46

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Update....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Our new Sprinter based coach only had one fob. The dealer searched everywhere and couldn't find it but said they would pay for another one. The Mercedes dealer confirmed all units are now shipped with only one fob...due to shortages. She said most vans used for RV's are the same...shipped with one fob. Campers are what RV dealers are about...they could care less about the chassis, or even registering the warranty when you purchase. I have to take coach to the MB dealer, verify VIN and ownership just to order another fob. Then go back with chassis to have it programed. The RV dealer will reimburse me for total cost (this will result in an issue also).
Took coach to MB of Dothan. They verified we were legit and ordered key fob. Send invoice to dealer and reimbursement check for $800 was received today. 3 other issued have been resolved by dealer since we purchased with ZERO drama. Can't say enough about RV One in Jacksonville, FL. What a refreshing twist on all the horror stories we hear. If you're in the market, give Hannah a call. She's the F&I girl there but it seems a lot of strings run across her desk. Excellent experience!
Old 03-29-2023, 01:40 AM   #47

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That would be any easy Lemon Law buy back in Florida.
I agree it should be but once lawyers get involved these things can take some time. I would encourage anyone with a newer Promaster to check out the promasterforum.com for chassis information. There is more information about this at the post there at:

https://www.promasterforum.com/threa....101913/unread
Old 03-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #48

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Promaster Key Fob Unavailability and Problems

That would probably be an easy buy back lemon law for a pro master but once Thor touched it I’m wondering what we would be stuck with? Is there anyone out there who has had a 2022 promaster fob programmed?
Old 03-31-2023, 01:05 PM   #49

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
That would probably be an easy buy back lemon law for a pro master but once Thor touched it I’m wondering what we would be stuck with? Is there anyone out there who has had a 2022 promaster fob programmed?
Unfortunately it sounds like more problems with this are being reported on the Promaster Forum that I referenced earlier. There is also a vehicle locksmith who has made comments there. "RamCares" has not been any help and am beginning to believe effects many vehicles.
I agree the "lemon law" could/should come in to play but could be somewhat complex given the conversion and would expect more legal resistence given many of these vehicles are well in to the $100k range.
After reading other comments and problems there I am inclined not to have the programming of a new fob attempted again due to the possibility of screwing up the only working one I have!
Old 03-31-2023, 04:17 PM   #50
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Unfortunately it sounds like more problems with this are being reported on the Promaster Forum that I referenced earlier. There is also a vehicle locksmith who has made comments there. "RamCares" has not been any help and am beginning to believe effects many vehicles.
I agree the "lemon law" could/should come in to play but could be somewhat complex given the conversion and would expect more legal resistence given many of these vehicles are well in to the $100k range.
After reading other comments and problems there I am inclined not to have the programming of a new fob attempted again due to the possibility of screwing up the only working one I have!
You may have dodged a bullet there and not even realized it until now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:38 PM   #51

THOR #28919
Quote:

I’m waiting for a key fob from ram also. Now I’m a little worried to have them try it when/if it does come in. Im sure this ruins my chance of an after market auto start upgrade also!
Old 04-01-2023, 02:22 AM   #52

THOR #26907
I inquired about the auto start upgrade from the factory way before I started getting concerned about the "one key problem" but was advised it wasn't available at that time (about six months ago). I agree it would be a great option and also wanted to add it given the Ram app would only allow unlock and a few other minor features I really didn't care about. At the price point of these vans, they should have come with the start option on the key fob like many vehicles do imo.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:43 PM   #53

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You may have dodged a bullet there and not even realized it until now.
Agreed! Hoping the vehicle locksmiths come up with a way to program these soon and am not going to risk it with another dealer with the possibility of turning the van into a brick.
Too bad that Ram does not even acknowledge this is a problem and just wants to deny warranty because Thor did the conversion. A vehicle locksmith on the Promaster Forum stated that most likely my system is "locked out" due to too many attempts to program.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:20 PM   #54

THOR #28919
Ram called. My back ordered fob is in. Guess we’ll see what happens next Tuesday! Fingers crossed.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:16 PM   #55

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I'm interested...I know I'm going to loose one sooner or later.
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:20 PM   #56

THOR #28919
So! General Rv called me today. They tell me the key was programmed and they have the Rv back in their possession to do some minor warranty work for me.
Robert the dealership was:
Rays Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Fox Lake Illinois.
847 587 3800. If it would help maybe your dealership could call them and see what they did different. I have not talked to them just my service writer at general Rv. He did say they had to do an update on the PCM. It took about an hour to complete the whole ordeal. I have yet to see or touch the new key fob and confirm myself but pretty confident it’s is completed. I’ll report back when I get the van back.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #57

THOR #26907
Glad it seems to have worked out and appreciate the info. Will keep that in mind and have been hesitant to take it to another dealer in fear of making a bad situation worse since the key (one) fob I have is working without problems. My understanding is that only certain Promasters are effected with this programming problem and hopefully yours is new enough to not have the issue.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:45 PM   #58

THOR #28919
Quote:
Glad it seems to have worked out and appreciate the info. Will keep that in mind and have been hesitant to take it to another dealer in fear of making a bad situation worse since the key (one) fob I have is working without problems. My understanding is that only certain Promasters are effected with this programming problem and hopefully yours is new enough to not have the issue.

It’s a huge relief now that it is done. I really feel for you. It’s been in the back of my mind ever since I’ve read about your dilemma. Hopefully they can get yours figured out soon.