Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2023, 02:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #29457
2023 Sequence new user questions...

Renting a rig from a local dealer to try it out. They did a walk through that was minimal. So we are left to figure things out for ourselves. We were told to call for help but did and was told there were no technical people there on a saturday, etc. Would have been really great if they would have at least given us some links to the owners manual, etc.

Refer power - was thinking this was propane and electric but looking at the label inside it states 12/24V so thinking this is electric only? How critical is leveling? This doesn't appear to be the older ammonia type. How do we know it is on (other than the light inside with the door open)? I didn't see any adjustments. It works ok - just want to understand things better in case it doesn't.

Locking from the inside? I was thinking I could just use the remote from inside to lock and that seemed to work the first night but the second night it didn't work and in checking I'm not sure all the doors locked the first night. The side door lever goes both ways which I thought was one way to open (which works) and the other to lock (which doesn't seem to do anything). Ended up getting out, locking the back with the remote, then getting in through the front which I was then able to lock with the remote. There must be an easier way.

Battery power details? It has a "reliable" label (may be spelled differently). And we have a solar panel. We parked at a cracker barrel last night so no shore power and everything worked fine. But do I have a third battery besides the engine and rear ones? I understand the basic details of having two batteries.

Had some questions about the radio but think we figured out most of that. Looking this up in the Thor manual is useless as it just says different models are used and to look in the user manuals (which we didn't get) or look up the unit manual on the radio manufacturers site and we don't see a name on it.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:22 PM   #2

THOR #29457
Also wondering about the height of the rig. The rental place said 13 feet but there is no way it is that high. I think they just tell everyone 13 feet so they don't have to worry about heights of various rigs and that must be the height of the tallest ones they rent. Seems like 10 - 11 feet. Currently in Hot Springs, AR and the free parking by the hot springs has an 8' limit so no way we will fit there.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:11 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Well...at least you learned who will not appreciate your business and where not to buy. If they treat you like this before a sale...imagine what happens after the sale. What a bunch of no-goods!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 02:11 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Refrigerator should be DC and pulls about 5 amps of battery power when running. Being level or not shouldn't effect it. Would think you should have at least 190 watt solar panel on that which will basically take care of the refrigerator and nothing more if you have good sunlight.
We have found we have to use the key fob to lock ourselves in at night but also need it to get out.
You should have the lithium Relion batteries and at least 200a/h of battery power when fully charged. There are two battery banks, one for the chassis and one for everything else (house). Should be able to see the charge level of the batteries (house) on a display somewhere in the van. You should also have an inverter which allows you to use A/C power when turned on so you can plug devices into the plugs in the van.

Inverter must also be on to use the roof Air Conditioner. Using the roof Air Conditioner pulls the batteries down within about 2 hours unless you are plugged in. Most likely your house batteries charge by either running the engine or plugging into shore (30 amp).

The actual height of mine is 9' 8" but I have a Tellaro but should not be much different from that.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:38 PM   #5

THOR #29457
My trouble with the locking must have been from a door not fully closed. I found if a door is not completely closed it won't lock when outside. Might have been the same when I was trying to do it inside. It worked fine last night.

Have a small solar panel. Only doing one night without hookups on this trip and that went fine. Have a "Re(Li)able" label on the side so must be Li batteries but not sure of the size. I can see amount of charge on the panel.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:56 AM   #6

THOR #29457
Had a little trouble with the shower valves. I had found a video with the recirculate/preheat function but haven't been able to find it again. It appears you turn one valve to circulate the hot water up to the valves and the blue cap turns gray when hot. Then you close that valve and use the two shower valves like normal hot and cold valves. I only used it once and it didn't work well but that was before I (think) I figured out operation. Would be good if someone could confirm that.

The braces on the canopy didn't seem to lock for length - with the little lever pulled out or pushed in the length could be easily pushed in. Is this common? Seems like them don't do much if the length isn't fixed.

Found a video on the wifi repeater. Seems you log into the wifi of the rig and then go to a web page of the repeater and choose what wifi signals it sees to link to. But we never got the password to log into the system although we were told about the advantages of the system like we would be able to use it. We never really needed it though.

When we turned it in I told them it would be great if they had a few pages of notes of how things worked to give to renters. The person said that it was a new rig for them and they were just figuring things out themselves. So I asked if they did something like that for the older rental rigs. (although all are fairly new). They said they didn't understand what I was asking. When I rephased it they said they would suggest that to management so the answer was really no, they don't do anything like that.

Return was odd too. The place has 2 access points - one in and one out. When returning I saw a hand written "rental returns" sign indicating to go in the exit. Pulled in looking for other signs to tell me where to stop (it's a bit place) but didn't see any so pulled next to the building where there was a bit of room and near where we got the vehicle. I asked one of the workers if that was good. He said close enough and just give him the keys. I asked if there was anything else and he said no, that was all. Seemed a bit to informal. I didn't have anything to even prove I returned the vehicle. We shall see how the security deposit return goes.

I have left out the name of the place although I have considered including it. Not sure if that is against any forum rules. The rentals seem to be a small part of their business.