Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2023, 03:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Promaster Key Fob Unavailability and Problems

My van has "pushbutton start" so this probably only applies to these vehicles.

I only received one Key Fob when I purchased and was told by the dealer that was the only one provided by Thor. Have been trying to locate a Fob matching the original for about six months and finally received one (genuine Mopar) after being difficult to get and on backorder. The RV dealer said if I found one they would reimburse me for the cost of the fob and programming.

I took the new Fob to my local Dodge dealer for programming and was advised they could not program it due to an "antenna error" in the PCM. They also said there were several faults when they ran the diagnostic and updated the software to the latest version but were still not able to program the new fob. They suggested I leave the vehicle with them while they troubleshoot but I had plans and could not do that.

I have contacted Thor customer service and they were somewhat helpful and assured me the dealer must have lost the second Fob. Thor guy said I should take back to the Thor dealer and let them deal with the problem but don't really want to wait a month for an appointment and all the delays.

Not having any problems with the one Fob I have but afraid to not have a backup. I would not be surprised once the vehicle goes back to the Dodge dealer if they blame Thor for the problem but would guess that is the next step unless someone has another idea? The RV dealer of course will say this is a Dodge chassis issue and not their problem which ends up being an endless circle.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:03 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
Call Batteries Plus, they have access to keyfobs and key cutting for most makes of vehicles.
Harry
Old 01-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #3

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTh View Post
Call Batteries Plus, they have access to keyfobs and key cutting for most makes of vehicles.
Harry
Thanks Harry. I have tried a few aftermarket companies and they said my vehicle was too new for them to program. That was a few months ago so may try again.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:24 PM   #4

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
You just need one of these https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kz4...-to-steal-cars

It will clone your other keyfob and you are good to go.
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:49 PM   #5

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
You just need one of these https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kz4...-to-steal-cars

It will clone your other keyfob and you are good to go.
Interesting read! Yep, not surprised the criminals are ahead of this technology.

It seems some of this "high tech" key stuff frustrates dealers and customers more than it does the criminal element. Personally, I wish the van just had a damn normal key. I have insurance if it gets stolen anyway!
Old 01-12-2023, 10:16 PM   #6

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
@robertj1961 do you have auto engine (not generator) start on your rig...if you do, I think I found your other fob...

I found this doing research on auto engine start. Since my engine/UHG is my generator, I wanted to understand how I can start the engine when battery capacity got to a point, then shut-off when it is topped off.

This document was on my Thor owners portal as Intermotive Auto Start Charging System. Yes, Thor used this device on some units...I opened it and started to read it...got to the part where they say take your extra remote and cobble it into this box, I almost couldn't stop laughing. I wonder how many owners are looking for their second key fob?

Lot's of issues with doing such a thing, especially since all my stuff is from various vendors and none of it actually talks from one to the other (battery, charger, alternator, regulator, shunt).

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intemotive.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	40545  
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:56 AM   #7

THOR #26907
Wow! That is crazy. I don't have the remote start on mine but wish I did. I am going to check the fuse box tomorrow however for the fob just to be 100% sure one is not tucked away there. My Fob is a different style than the one in the photo.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:51 AM   #8

THOR #26907
Took the vehicle back to the Dodge dealer for further diagnosis of why they couldn't program a new Dodge Fob. After a day diagnosing the problem, they said it was missing one of the six antennas that are required for the new program. Service adviser said they had to remove the rear bumper guard and there was a harness that was supposed to be there that was totally missing. The cost of the harness is about $130. Service adviser stated he could think of no logical reason why Thor removed that but he was not surprised because he had seen there "lack of quality" before when customizing these RV's. Until all six antenna's are properly installed there is apparently no way to program a key fob (with the push button style start). The dealer originally quoted me a price of $1250 for parts and labor which included installing several park sensers that he said were also missing. Wouldn't be surprised if someone doing the conversion at Thor just forgot to plug it back in and left it on the floor when doing some of their "quality" work (sarcasm intended).
Going to check with the selling dealer on this tomorrow for warranty but not expecting much.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:31 AM   #9

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
So I only received 1 key and general Rv has not been able to locate the second key, imagine that! Today one of the customer service girls called and offered me 2 choices. bring it back and they will take it to a ram dealer and get the key programmed or I can do it myself and they will reimburse me. I called 3 dealers no luck. At least a month back order. So I’ll have general Rv order the key and call me when it comes in. A month from now will give me an opportunity to use the Rv and see if there are any other problems to work out while they have it. So far they have been great. After reading Robert’s problems I was ready for a fight. Fingers crossed everything goes well. And good luck Robert with your issues.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:29 PM   #10

THOR #26907
I had a very difficult time finding one as you know. I wanted a Mopar part that I knew "should" work. I finally found one "on line" that was shipped to me. If you call Dodge dealers that have them many times they will not ship to you because they know how short the supply is.
My van is back at the Dodge dealer who has still not found a way to program the new Fob. They need both fobs at the same time to reprogram the new one. My van was missing a needed wiring harness in the passenger side rear bumper. Ordered and installed that and they still can't get it to program. Technician said the computer "locked" them out when trying to reprogram the fobs. They are working on it again today but it has been a real pain. Hope you won't run in to these problems but the
Dodge dealer seems to think Thor does something "strange" with the vans from the factory that is effecting the programming. I will post later when I hear from the Dodge dealer again.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:37 PM   #11

THOR #26907
Just spoke with Dodge service advisor who stated that the key fob could still not be programmed. They discovered there is a national problem with 2022 and possibly 2023 Promaster vans that is going to require a PCM update to fix the problem. There is not an update available yet but "engineering" at Dodge is working to come up with a fix for programming problems on these models.

If you have only one key fob like I do, don't loose it until an update is done. If you have two key fobs, consider your self lucky.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:17 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Just spoke with Dodge service advisor who stated that the key fob could still not be programmed. They discovered there is a national problem with 2022 and possibly 2023 Promaster vans that is going to require a PCM update to fix the problem. There is not an update available yet but "engineering" at Dodge is working to come up with a fix for programming problems on these models.

If you have only one key fob like I do, don't loose it until an update is done. If you have two key fobs, consider your self lucky.

Mine came with three and it is listed on the “window sticker” as an option.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:58 AM   #13

THOR #28919
Promaster Key Fob Unavailability and Problems

Quote:

Wow! That is not good news. I’m wondering if they tried to program one before they shipped to dealers and knew this was a problem and just played dumb.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:46 PM   #14

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Wow! That is not good news. I’m wondering if they tried to program one before they shipped to dealers and knew this was a problem and just played dumb.
Hopefully your is not like mine but that is a possibility. Dodge dealer still has a case open on mine but they say it is possible a "fix" could take some time. Service guy told me yesterday they may have to replace the PCM, another module, and other parts which would be rather involved if they do not have success. Problem is, some of the parts may be very hard to get right now.

I will post when/if I get further information but I am not very optimistic at this point.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:59 PM   #15

THOR #28919
Any updates Robert? I’m 2 weeks in waiting for backordered fob. Should be couple more weeks if I believe what Ram is telling me.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:11 AM   #16

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Any updates Robert? I’m 2 weeks in waiting for backordered fob. Should be couple more weeks if I believe what Ram is telling me.
Not really any good news. My Dodge dealer wanted to try one more time using a 5 digit instead of a 4 digit Pin code. Let me know the newer Dodge vehicles are actually a "Fiat" and have a unique code. Still did not work and am told they are on "hold" until they hear back from Dodge Engineering. Technician was not confident all parts they would need to replace everything (PCM etc) would be in stock.
I went ahead and filed a case with "RamCares" customer service so will see where that goes?
I believe the dealer has actually "tried" but not confident they really understand this. Hope yours will be simpler than mine.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:13 AM   #17

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Just to chime in….
I purchased a new Toyota on 1/15/23
I only received one FOB
Dealer & ToyotaCorp say new policy is to include just one FOB with all new vehicles (due to chip shortage).
The 2nd pre-programmed FOB will arrive in mail or at Dealer in 60-90 days.
This info was included in my final contract.

Not sure what to believe.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:16 AM   #18

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Just to chime in….
I purchased a new Toyota on 1/15/23
I only received one FOB
Dealer & ToyotaCorp say new policy is to include just one FOB with all new vehicles (due to chip shortage).
The 2nd pre-programmed FOB will arrive in mail or at Dealer in 60-90 days.
This info was included in my final contract.

Not sure what to believe.
Understood and heard the same on only "one fob" but had conflicting stories. I know the actual Dodge key fob was on backorder for about 6 months and when I finally got it still waiting to get a fix for programming. A guy I spoke with who specializes in making keys said there is about a two year delay before locksmiths get the proper software to program new vehicles so you are stuck with the dealer only for that.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:31 PM   #19

THOR #28919
Quote:
Not really any good news. My Dodge dealer wanted to try one more time using a 5 digit instead of a 4 digit Pin code. Let me know the newer Dodge vehicles are actually a "Fiat" and have a unique code. Still did not work and am told they are on "hold" until they hear back from Dodge Engineering. Technician was not confident all parts they would need to replace everything (PCM etc) would be in stock.
I went ahead and filed a case with "RamCares" customer service so will see where that goes?
I believe the dealer has actually "tried" but not confident they really understand this. Hope yours will be simpler than mine.

I’m hopeful. My dealer has been willing to help. Never tried to pull the only 1 key line. They said it must have gotten misplaced when shipped to Illinois from Michigan. Time will tell!
Old 03-02-2023, 08:29 PM   #20

THOR #26907
My Ram dealer could never program the new key Fob. They sent me an email telling me that any locksmith with the proper software should be able to do it even though they could not after several attempts.

Wrong!

I contacted several locksmiths that have the software the dealer recommended and all say they can not because the vehicle is too new.

I have submitted a request from the Ram Warranty service center who has still not replied. It has been recommended by others on the Promaster Forum to contact another Ram dealer which I suppose is my next step.

Hard to believe that getting a second key could be this much of a problem!