Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2023, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #29992
Scissor Or Bottle Jack OK to install Sumo Springs??

After reading reviews on here and YouTube videos…I can do this myself. I figure buying a scissor jack or bottle jack…even a quality one, would be cheaper than what a shop would charge to install these things.

This Thor Sequence has a max weight of 5.5 tons but that’s the whole thing…not one axle or one side. So…what is your recommendation for a jack and\or stand, hopefully without spending a ton and what tonage does it have to be rated for? I can get the springs and jack delivered tomorrow via Amazon…for a Sunday project.

THANKS all…

Old 07-08-2023, 07:44 PM   #2

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
I would personally not trust either of those jacks if you have to crawl under the vehicle. Definitely need Jack Stand in addition to the bottle or scissor jack. A floor jack might even be better than bottle or scissor jack to get the jack stand in place. Some of those are pretty reasonable as well.

Am curious once you get this done your impressions of the ride difference and difficulty of the install? Have considered it but so far not unhappy with the ride of the Promaster.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:01 PM   #3

THOR #29992
I have nothing to compare it to as we’ve only been on one trip, although it was about 1,500 miles. I thought it drives pretty well but there’s a ton of YouTube videos on installing them, how great they are…on the rear anyway.

The Sequence doesn’t come with a jack or anything…although there’s a steel wrench looking thing in the owners bag that I have no clue what it’s for…lug wrench maybe???

So those floor jacks to slip under after using the floor jack…how many rated tons for those to raise one side of the back axle?
Old 07-08-2023, 08:14 PM   #4

THOR #26907
Gross weight of the Promaster can be 9000+ so keep that in mind. You are not lifting that much at a corner but certainly at least and possibly more than 25% of that depending on front or back. You could use the floor jack or scissors, bottle jack etc. to lift but then put the jack stands underneath to secure. Google Jack Stands and you should get the idea. It is also important you lift at the designated places as outlined in the manual.

I would just be very careful and get some help if unsure because there have been too many people injured/killed by not securing/lifting the vehicle correctly.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:23 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #29989
Just put the sumo springs on thor scope 18a. Promaster 1500. Definitely worth it. Took most of the sway out and corners much better. I would call it a no brainer for mine. Short wheelbase. Put on the front springs but haven't driven it yet. Gained 1 1/8 inch clearance on generator by installing the rear sumos. Very happy and easy install.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:32 PM   #6

THOR #26907
I have read somewhere the rear are very simple to install but the front are somewhat more challenging. I could definitely use a little more generator clearance in the back. Just wondering what was involved with jacking etc and difficulty?
Old 07-08-2023, 08:35 PM   #7

THOR #29992
“Gained 1 1/8 inch clearance on generator by installing the rear sumos”. Did you use both of the “spacers” or just one Jon? Ours is a 3500 but still…

I saw YouTube videos where they only used one spacer but most of the videos use 2 spacers, so I was curious.

The wife has a friend who’s husband has run a repair shop for years so I’ll get his take on the floor jack and jack stand to buy. He isn’t an RV guy but he should be able to give me a brand and what minimum tonnage to use.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:42 PM   #8

THOR #29992
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
I have read somewhere the rear are very simple to install but the front are somewhat more challenging. I could definitely use a little more generator clearance in the back. Just wondering what was involved with jacking etc and difficulty?
Robert there are tons of videos on YouTube that are really short because there’s not much to it. I searched sumo springs ram promaster and there were more videos than I cared to see.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:47 PM   #9

THOR #26907
Thanks for the info and will have to look at those again because would be good to add a little more ground clearance.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:04 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
At 11,000 lbs max weight, you will need a bottle jack with 30% of that for the rear, less for the front. So a 2+ ton jack will work. Get a couple of 2 ton jack stands for safety.

About $25 for the jack and $30 for a pair of stands. Make sure that the hydraulic jack is low profile so you can get it underneath with a flat tire so you can also use it for that.

David
Old 07-08-2023, 10:48 PM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #29989
Used the yellow sumo spring with both spacers. Probably about 5 inches longer than the stock ones. Front were a little more difficult but not much. Had to jack up van farther than you would think to make them easy to install. Main thing is to have jackstands or blocks or whatever for safety. Takes longer to jack up the van than to change the springs. Just used a hammer and screwdriver to loosen old bumper. Some use oil filter wrench. I think Winnebago is installing sumo springs at the factory on some models. Lots of short you tube videos
Old 07-08-2023, 11:08 PM   #12

Model: Rize 18M
State: Washington
THOR #29407
Just got done doing the Sumo rear stops install a couple of hours ago on my 2023 Rize 18M. Used a floor jack and stands. Regardless of what type of jack that you use, make sure of the load capacity of the jack and Always use jack stands.

A couple of notes:
1. Get a couple of nuts for the Sumo Springs in case the chassis bolt comes loose. One of the YouTube videos shows that. It happened to me, on the driver's side. Took me over an hour to get the old pump stop out. Could no use the original nut. It looked like it was not even tackwelded into place. Had to wedge a plastic trim tool in between the frame and nut to get it loose. My fingers were just long enough to hold the nut and get it started for the reinstall. Trim tool used again to tighten and hold the nut. The other side took less than 5 minutes to do with no issues.

2. I used only one spacer as I didn’t want a large difference between the spring rate of the stock front and Sumo back. Height is stock. Rides much better with good balance. Much better around curves and roundabouts.

Good luck with the install.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:18 PM   #13

THOR #29992
Thanks for the info.

I talked to my wife’s friend’s husband and he recommended the Powerbuilt 3 ton combination bottle jack and floor jack. It’s both all in one with a wide base and he said since the entire thing weighs a max of 5.5 tons, a 3 ton jack lifting only 1/4 even if there’s more weight is more than adequate.

The jack is only $66 but the wife said to wait until tomorrow in case the springs and jack are on sale with the Prime sale coming up.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:31 PM   #14
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking6976 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I talked to my wife’s friend’s husband and he recommended the Powerbuilt 3 ton combination bottle jack and floor jack. It’s both all in one with a wide base and he said since the entire thing weighs a max of 5.5 tons, a 3 ton jack lifting only 1/4 even if there’s more weight is more than adequate.

The jack is only $66 but the wife said to wait until tomorrow in case the springs and jack are on sale with the Prime sale coming up.

That powerbuilt 3 ton has, according to its listing, a range of 11” to 21”. Check your Promaster lift points. On mine the rear is 13” clear and the front 11”. As DavidEM notes, it would require one with a lower profile if you’re changing a flat.

FWIW the Sumo installation is as easy as the easiest video shows. I used one spacer which on mine just barely rested on the axle under “normal” load. The original bump stop had about one inch clearance. You can’t get any lift out of them unless you stuff in the second spacer, at least in my case, and then you would only get maybe a 1/4” to 1/2” after squishing that extra 1” under load. My only intention was dampening swaying without adding any immediate stiffness to the ride, however negligible it might have been. They worked well on my previous class C Sprinter and have turned out even better on the Promaster.
Your results may vary!
Good luck.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:13 PM   #15

THOR #29992
So doing 1 spacer you don’t need a jack at all?

I can’t believe there would be a problem getting the thing out on a 2023…WTH?
Old 07-10-2023, 10:23 PM   #16
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
On the back it all depends on what load you’re carrying but I think you’ll need it raised simply to ensure you do have clearance, but just as importantly to have room to maneuver. Unless you’re a lot more svelte than I am! The fronts you’ll definitely need to jack in order to stretch out the coils to insert the Sumo spacers.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:53 PM   #17

THOR #29992
Thanks MCP…

Since the wife suggested I wait for Amazon Prime when I was having coffee this morning I checked and the price actually went up on the jack\stand. Not but a few dollars but still…I guess the bonus is one day vs two day delivery.

Plus after your prior post, I’m rethinking the which jack to buy anyway. I’ll take another look and pull the trigger.

Thanks…
Old 07-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #18

THOR #29992
Just an update. Got the springs off eBay for only 225 vs 329 or so…brand new and legit. Looked at videos again and figured I could use a 6 ton bottle jack I bought on the back axle to simply raise the suspension…not the whole back end. One side looks kinda iffy to do that cause there’s so much stuff in that area. A lot of videos were simply straight up Promaster 3500’s not Class B’s.

I actually went up the road to the RAM service center and they’ll do it on Tuesday. Called Camping World where we bought the RV and they won’t install customer supplied parts but they gave me a name. Called the shop and they don’t install customer parts…because of warranty. It’s a rubber or whatever spring, don’t need a warranty so we’re good. THEN he says we are in business to make money and if you bring in your own parts…. This is a unique or special part not something you buy at Auto Zone. Geez… I still may figure out where to jack the thing and do it…
Old 07-25-2023, 02:44 PM   #19

THOR #29992
After all that, RAM put on the bump stops for $115. I used only one spacer. The ride is dramatically improved. No sway feeling on turns, even bumps feel much more car like. I can see how installing the sumo spring things on the front would be helpful. You still feel the bumps…kinda springy on the front but going over the bump on the back end…no.

Thanks again to everyone helping me get through this…
Old 07-25-2023, 06:33 PM   #20

THOR #29992
Sorry for the extra post but I apparently can’t edit a post after a certain amount of time has passed.

Wanted to say, when I got home, I reached up in there and tried to put my index finger between the sumo spring and the frame. I could get to maybe to the back of my fingernail under there. Can’t image using both spacers but to each his own. To me the ride would be extremely firm. Plus I’m now wondering the gross weight of this thing. There’s a commercial weigh station about 15 minutes from here that uses that CAT app. Just wondering how close this is the max gross weight without much in it.