Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #22979
Sequence 20L Crosswind Assist not working

Has anyone had experience with the Crosswind Assist on their ProMaster based RV? My 2021 Sequence build on the Promaster 3500 has Crosswind Assist as a standard feature, but it does not seem to work for me. I have taken my vehicle out in high crosswinds and the system did nothing. The ESC Warning Light did not blink indicating it was activated. I was going 70 mph so it should have worked with the high crosswind gusts, but I felt nothing nor saw it flash a warning. My Ram dealer says no problem found and no error codes logged so they say its all fine, but I know it does not seem to work. Appreciate any comments from others who have had experience with this feature.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Are you sure you have it? Many times the RV is built on a prior model year's chassis.

Have you run your VIN through a VIN decoder to see if you actually have a 2021 chassis?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I don't have one but......

As I understand it Crosswind-assist applies resisting force by braking the wheels on the side facing the wind. This is supposed to help so it vehicle doesn’t drift out of the lane.

This type of system works more effectively when the direction of the wind is perpendicular to the vehicle body. If gusts of wind are moving in a random direction, the system probably wouldn't do much.... if anything.

To me.... it sounds good in concept but I think it is more snake-oil. I had an Outlaw 29H Class C that would get blown out of the lane by wind, trucks passing, etc. I installed heavy duty sway bars and Sumo Springs and that just about removed any issues with wind or being passed by large vehicles.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #4

THOR #22979
The sticker for my 2021 Ram Promaster (verified by VIN) shows it as a standard feature. In addition, I would expect the Ram dealer to tell me I do not have it if I did not, but they told me that their computer says its working fine.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #5

THOR #22979
I did research on the Crosswind Assist and all I could find was Ram announcement about it becoming standard. I did see a lot of info about the Mercedes Sprinter version including a YouTube video showing it in action on a Sprinter with and one without the Crosswind Assist. It was a pretty significant difference. My issue is that the system does not appear to be activating even in conditions that warrant it. If it came on, but did not do all I could hope for, at least I know its working and would accept its just not perfect. This does not seem to work at all.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #6

THOR #12751
Other than running diagnostic tests to make sure all of the sensors and ECM are working properly, you would need a special wind chamber to really have this feature tested.

You would need to have enough perpendicular wind force against the side of the coach with the wheel turning while running diagnostics showing the wheels on one side were under going breaking to compensate. I doubt any dealer is going to have that type of setup.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #7

THOR #22979
So the idea of the Crosswind Assist is that when driving in a straight line the vehicle deviates due to crosswind pushing it to the side. I am guessing the system looks at the internal Accelerometer showing side motion while the steering sensor seeing no change. This would result in brakes being applied on side opposite to the direction of the sideways motion. I understand that all the dealer can do is run normal stationary system checks and can do nothing if it checks out. However, this is not a validation that the system actually does work. Just that no sensor or module flags itself as outside its "normal range". In a real world situation, I should be able to at least trigger the system by driving with a crosswind and/or around big trucks travelling at high speeds. I tested both with the ESC engaged and off. I saw no difference but definitely felt a strong sideways force and I was pushed partway out of my lane. I never saw the ESC activate so wonder if it ever works or is my unit defective. By the way I worked for 40 years as an engineer in electronics and aerospace so I have some understanding about these kinds of system.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Having a Sprinter: I can tell you that the best technology is no replacement for being an attentive driver... and slowing down when the wind picks up.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #9

THOR #22979
Crosswind Assist not working

Yes Bob I understand. I am used to driving a minivan which can also be affected by wind. Obviously, the Ram Promaster is much bigger and higher so I will have to learn how to deal with wind more so than before. I was excited to see the 2021 Ram Promaster was supposed to have the Crosswind Assist as standard which I saw as a help for when I get hit with unexpected crosswind. Its all a learning experience but I am disappointed that the feature that Ram played up does not appear to work. False advertising in my mind.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Have you ever thought about how much worse it might have been: had that system not been in place?
They try to make all of these safety features work in the background, and we're not even supposed to be aware of them doing their job.
Have you tried to find the fuse that powers it... and shut it off?
When you know that it's not working: it'll give you a better idea of what it was doing before...
(Develop a baseline...)
Old 04-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

THOR #22979

Bob, per the manual the Crosswind Assist is supposed to flash the ESC alert on the dash when activated. It does not do that so I expect its not working. On one of my test runs in windy conditions I went down the highway with the system on and then back up the same highway with the system off. Felt no difference. Both had scary events. If slowing down to 55-60 is what it takes to run safely then so be it, but Ram should not be promoting this as a safety feature if it does not work as stated.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

THOR #12751
While I won't disspute you felt the winds were high enough for the system to "work"..... I would ask the question.... Are you sure the winds were directly hitting the side of the vehicle and not swirling around?

Driving through hills, valleys, mountains and canyons can cause the wind to really move around.... versus driving across I-80 in Nebraska where it is flat.

Based on what I have read the wind has to be hitting the side of the vehicle to provide enough force to activate it versus the corners, front or rear and it moving around.

I would call Chrysler directly and not rely on the dealer. If the technology is realatively new to Ram, the dealer like does not have enough training an experience with it and how it should really work. You might have better luck talking to someone with a technical background at HQ Support.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:15 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Have you tested other features of the ESC to see if it activates, such as traction control on a gravel/dirt road?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #14

THOR #22979

So all my testing has been out in straight stretches of highway out in open. No mountains or other features to cause disruption of wind here in South West Michigan. Wind was coming from side and gusting up to 20 mph. I could see from flags along highway that it was coming across the road but not sure if when gusting if it was directly perpendicular to my path. It would seem that an effective system would be sensitive to wind movement that pushed me from my steered path and into the other lane. This happened so I am surprised the system did not work. I have not tried testing the ESC on a dirt road to see if it works correctly. That is a good idea and will try that as soon as I can find one to safely test on.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #15

State: Alabama
THOR #23075
I am sure the algorithms used to compute the need for activating the system, also has to somehow weed out normal side tilt when going around a curve, which would resemble a side wind, so it maybe "slow" to react by default, wanting a sustained condition, that would not be possibly just turning / curving at high speed.
Hope you resolve this.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have you posted this on the ProMaster Forum? Might have better luck getting a response to the issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #17

THOR #23075
A good simulation would be to have a weight and a person in the cabin, and while driving, have that person and weight move to one side, to simulate the gust, and stay there long enough for the system too guess it is a strong continuous gust, then possibly move to the other side, as a reverse gust, repeat.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorlo View Post
A good simulation would be to have a weight and a person in the cabin, and while driving, have that person and weight move to one side, to simulate the gust, and stay there long enough for the system too guess it is a strong continuous gust, then possibly move to the other side, as a reverse gust, repeat.
That sounds like a job for the local Sumo Wrestling Team...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1619119029
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yiqy295u-720.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	29911  
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #19

THOR #22979
Just tested RV on gravel road and ESC flashed when accelerated too fast for the road surface. So know that the module works. Very windy today so tried on highway at 70 mph again but still no joy with crosswind function working. Wind was coming directly across the road according to flags adjacent to the road. I ordered Sumo Springs for the rear on the recommendation of another forum member. Will see if that helps make things more stable. Couldn't find any Sumo wrestlers to run the test the other forum member suggested. :-)
Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #20

THOR #23075
May as well get the front end Sumo Coil Inserts as well.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...CSS-1168F.html