Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
6 years and 50K miles across western US and Gulf Coast without a spare or tire issues.
But for those of us who do not have the "Luck of the Irish", carry a spare. Had 3 flats on a travel trailer years ago. Two of them I changed on the interstate....very fast, and the other in a campground. Was a morning surprise.

More recently, had a slow leak in the front tire on coach in mid-west TX on Sat. afternoon. Pulled into Ft. Stockton 10 mins. before this tire place was closing and he fixed it. TX folks are very accommodating. I knew it was leaking due to the TPMS say so..........a must have.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
My GF took care of any possible flat tires. She buys me a Platinum GSRA every year.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You don't need a spare. It's easier to wait on the side of the interstate for 5-6 hours on hold with your roadside assistance, then wait for a tow, then wait for a tow truck big enough for your rig. Not that I did that this past Wednesday or anything...I'm gonna be shopping for a spare carrier and all the other requirments (jack large enough for the RV; new spare wheel, etc. Service Truck Tire Centers told me if I just carried just a spare tire, they can mount it on the original rim on the road, too, so that's probably the cheapest option).

Yes, I agree but DISAGREE NOW..... and I always thought I would get a Spare "sometime" but in the spring on my first trip with the RV I had a blowout on SUN night returning home. Took 4.5 hours to get roadside to repair it.

I always check my tires and make sure they have the correct pressure before each trip. Only 10K miles on my tires right now. Never expected a blow out.

So I purchased TPMS and a spare tire the first week back home.

I had most of the tools needed put decided to purchase a cordless impact to remove lug nuts and a cheap torque wrench to tighten down to 150 lb #. I even removed a couple one weekend to make sure I had everything I needed. Only too me about 15 to change one but another 15 / 20 to jack it up, block etc to be safe.

So 30 / 40 min I would be rolling again.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #24

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
I had the dealer throw in a spare tire and wheel as part of the deal, it took 3 weeks to show and the parts manager told me it was not a standard wheel and could not tell me what the difference was between a standard E-450 wheel and the one for the motorhome, I was thinking it was something with the offset or maybe the thickness of the flange around the lug bolt holes, now we know,
He is full of BS> It has to be for the E 350 / E450 chassis. Which some are RV's others are buses ETC. As long as its the correct size. Easy to fine but not all rims fit correctly (Read above for coments on that part).

The aftermarket rim I have will fit the front but rub slighly on the caliper. But if you grind like 1 or 2 mm it would fit fine. They fit the rear fine so I put my aftermarket rim on the outside rear position.

I suggest getting the OEM FORD rim from Ebay for about $80. Ford qouted me like $225 or $250 each. Thats crazy for a steel 16 inch rim.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #25

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
But for those of us who do not have the "Luck of the Irish", carry a spare. Had 3 flats on a travel trailer years ago. Two of them I changed on the interstate....very fast, and the other in a campground. Was a morning surprise.

More recently, had a slow leak in the front tire on coach in mid-west TX on Sat. afternoon. Pulled into Ft. Stockton 10 mins. before this tire place was closing and he fixed it. TX folks are very accommodating. I knew it was leaking due to the TPMS say so..........a must have.
Yep, I just purchased a TPMS for my Axis. I spend a lot of time watching it now. Its amazing how much more pressure and heat you build up while traveling. I even added a few more PSI to see if it would help with temps.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
My GF took care of any possible flat tires. She buys me a Platinum GSRA every year.
Which may get you back on the road hours or days later.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #27

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I bought both tire and rim from my local Ford dealer that fit my Transit chassis and all in mounted, balanced and ready to go it was $325 CAD. I mounted it on a Curt tire carrier and have CAA (AAA) its a lot easier to tell them you have a spare, in places where the closest garage is 200 miles away it could take days to get a tire or rim.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 07-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #28

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
I never carry one in over 20 years of rving.
One blow-out with a trashed rim & you will change your tune.
Even if you don’t plan on changing yourself, you will appreciate the reduced stress of having one on-hand (tire & rim) just in case.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #29

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Siding against carrying a spare is like arguing against condoms for teenagers.
'I never got an std. And when I did get an std the wait at the clinic wasn't as long as I've been told'.

If you can, do.
I chose to help ME.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #30

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
One other thing to think about is if you have the Tyron bands on your wheels, you should buy the Tyron tire band remover kit in case you need a tire shop to replace your tire and they are not equipped to remove the Tyron bands off of the rim. Most larger truck repair shops have the necessary equipment to do the job but is you are out and away from them you may be stuck. I bought the kit and carry it in case I come across that issue. The Tyron bands are plastic inserts on the outside wheels that keep the blown tire from walking off of of the rim in the event of a blow out. You only need the kit if you have the Tyron bands on your motor home wheels.

Paul
Old 04-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #31

THOR #25645
Spare Tire for 2021 Compass TW

Where is the best place to get a spare tire for a 2021 Thor Compass TW? Should I get one mounted on a rim or can roadside service mount a tire on a rim?
Old 04-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Wherever you go to buy the tire, buy the rim.
My hoses nest perfectly inside that rim. Consider it to be a very big and stable basket.

Don't let the added weight bother you.
There are far better(as in, real) things to be concerned about than a miniscule percentage of total weight.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote