Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 01:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24.1
State: Iowa
THOR #18773
Spare tire?

I have had my 2014 24.1 about a month and it just occurred to me that there seems to be no spare tire. Am I missing something?

Old 07-14-2020, 02:15 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There's about 1,000 posts about it.
Chances are since you can't find it, you don't have one or a mount.
24.1 can have a spare mounted on a hitch rack,
You can put one in the rear most hatch on the drivers side.
One will fit under it with a f350 mount.

I suggest the rear hatch.
It's the easiest to use.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMN View Post
I have had my 2014 24.1 about a month and it just occurred to me that there seems to be no spare tire. Am I missing something?
It did not come with one. Very few motorhomes come with spare tires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:20 AM   #4

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
...I suggest the rear hatch.
It's the easiest to use.

And I suggest underneath the rear end behind the gas tank so you have room for adult beverages in the rear hatch...because you will never use it (knock on wood)
Old 07-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #5

Model: Tibuton 24RW
State: Missouri
THOR #14227
I agree with Bob. And to the point, if you camp (RV) long enough you will feel the need for an occasional adult beverage:
Toad, 2019 Ranger
Retired School Teachers
Ozark Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #6

THOR #1249
Is an adult beverage a nice way of saying Metamucil?
Old 07-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #18965
While on this topic...

I am in the midst of getting a spare for my 2018 Thor 31s Windsport. I read on a previous post folks purchased their spare tires from Road Ready. Has anyone had any recent interaction with them, are they still good to buy from? They suggested the wheel below, is that inline with others have paid?

https://www.roadreadywheels.com/products/2005-2020-19-5x6-ford-f550sd-steel-wheel-rim
Old 07-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
That looks just like the spare rim I purchased with Amazon recently. About the same price ($80).

BUT..... They are NOT an exact match to the factory Ford Rim. They rub the front cailper on my E450 Axis RV. Might be able to grind down the caliper slight (just need like 2 mm more of clearance).

Plus the 4 oval holes on the rim are different size (so the OEM cap that olds the air valve wont fit) and the little hole that lines up the dually rims in the back was 90 deg off so now the valve stem is 90 off from the other rim (instead of 180 deg off like factory setup).

Im using this rim anyway but for the same price ($80) other have purchased used rims (look like new) on eBay (I should have done this as well).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

THOR #12231
I would also suggest a TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system). I had a blowout on my Axis back in May. Not fun.

I check my tires before each trip and only have 10K miles on my RV. Well I had a blow out on the Right rear on a SUN night and it took 4.5 hours before roadside could bring me a new tire.

Well since then I purchased the EEZ Tire pressure system, spare tire and rim, Plus I made my own tire carrier with a tire hoist along with an cordless Impact to take the lug nuts off (and on) plus to zip down (and up) the tire hoist.

I hope this helps. I like to be prepared and do things myself.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-20-2020, 11:19 PM   #10

Model: 19-G
State: Colorado
THOR #18986
Is it advisable to change my own tire if I have a blowout, or is it better to wait for AAA to show up and do it for me? What sort of jack is recommended for a Thor 19-G?
Old 07-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
That looks just like the spare rim I purchased with Amazon recently. About the same price ($80).

BUT..... They are NOT an exact match to the factory Ford Rim. They rub the front cailper on my E450 Axis RV. Might be able to grind down the caliper slight (just need like 2 mm more of clearance).

Plus the 4 oval holes on the rim are different size (so the OEM cap that olds the air valve wont fit) and the little hole that lines up the dually rims in the back was 90 deg off so now the valve stem is 90 off from the other rim (instead of 180 deg off like factory setup).

Im using this rim anyway but for the same price ($80) other have purchased used rims (look like new) on eBay (I should have done this as well).

Funny thing. I read there may be an issue with the fitment so I asked the rep at the Road Ready about the offset and he said check with the dealer. I had a couple of other issues to discuss with Thor so I asked them and they said any wheel with the right size should fit. They also confirmed the back tires and front tires are interchangeable. Grinding a couple of millimeters off isn't that big of a deal EXCEPT, I cannot bring my coach into my community so I would have to do that grinding at the storage facility. Is there a wheel that is a direct replacement, without any grinding? I am going to check out Ebay. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Funny thing. I read there may be an issue with the fitment so I asked the rep at the Road Ready about the offset and he said check with the dealer. I had a couple of other issues to discuss with Thor so I asked them and they said any wheel with the right size should fit. They also confirmed the back tires and front tires are interchangeable. Grinding a couple of millimeters off isn't that big of a deal EXCEPT, I cannot bring my coach into my community so I would have to do that grinding at the storage facility. Is there a wheel that is a direct replacement, without any grinding? I am going to check out Ebay. Thanks!
Yeah I feel your pain. Luckly I can leave my RV on my driveway for 3 days straight before I get nasty emails from my POA. Surely you can work on it for two hours and then take it back to the storage facilty?

I would get an OEM Ford rim from Ebay. THe Factory rim was iehter $250 or $225.00 locally for me.

You can always take a OEM tire off the rear, install the aftermarket rim with a new tire on the outside and then you have a OEM spare that will work on the front as well. Thats what I did.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #13

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62cowboy View Post
Is it advisable to change my own tire if I have a blowout, or is it better to wait for AAA to show up and do it for me? What sort of jack is recommended for a Thor 19-G?
I would go to Harbor FRt and get a bottle jack with a 6 ton rating. Plus get several wooden block (large and small) to get a good fit with jack and one or to 24 x 24 (or larger) of thick wood (or plywood?) to place under the jack as needed. 4 wheel chocks (for the front and rear of the tires on the opposite side) and either your leveling blocks stacked up or a 6 ton jack stand for safety. Saftey first.

I have the Big Foot levelers so I raise up the side im working on, use either my bottle jack or blocks stacked up under frame (or jack stands if at home) then remove the tire. I carry all of the tools that I can ... Now including a cordless inpact for the lugnuts etc.

I waited 4.5 hours for roadside on a Sunday night when im more than able to change the tire myself. I wont do that again if I can help it. I removed one tire and reinstalled in 30 min (Mabye less) including jacking and saftey blocks etc.

The tire / Rim combo on the E350 / E450 is right at 75# so if you can handle that you should be fine.

Im prepared for one blow out per a trip.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #14

THOR #13932
There is, sometimes, a 6 ton electric bottle jack on amazon.
$199
No laying under the vehicle to work the jack.
Also:
Look for a Torque multiplier. The lug nuts may not be your friend.
$80ish on amazon.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:31 PM   #15

THOR #13932
Thanks lw&r,
I hadn't thought to go ahead and use my misfitting spare wheel.
I'll do that this week.
Easier to play musical tires in the shop than along the freeway.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #16

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Thanks lw&r,
I hadn't thought to go ahead and use my misfitting spare wheel.
I'll do that this week.
Easier to play musical tires in the shop than along the freeway.
Yep, one of the other forum members suggested that in a Thread about these aftermarket rims a few months ago.

I also thought about purchasing a spare tire only for longer trips and put in my toad (which I dont have setup to tow yet - next year I hope). Its hard to find the right size tire when on the road and since I still work 50 + hours a week I dont like to waste a day (or even 4hours) to fix a tire when I can be having fun.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #17

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I never carry one in over 20 years of rving.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
I never carry one in over 20 years of rving.
6 years and 50K miles across western US and Gulf Coast without a spare or tire issues.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:27 PM   #19

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I had the dealer throw in a spare tire and wheel as part of the deal, it took 3 weeks to show and the parts manager told me it was not a standard wheel and could not tell me what the difference was between a standard E-450 wheel and the one for the motorhome, I was thinking it was something with the offset or maybe the thickness of the flange around the lug bolt holes, now we know,
Old 07-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #20

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
You don't need a spare. It's easier to wait on the side of the interstate for 5-6 hours on hold with your roadside assistance, then wait for a tow, then wait for a tow truck big enough for your rig. Not that I did that this past Wednesday or anything...I'm gonna be shopping for a spare carrier and all the other requirments (jack large enough for the RV; new spare wheel, etc. Service Truck Tire Centers told me if I just carried just a spare tire, they can mount it on the original rim on the road, too, so that's probably the cheapest option).