Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Tellaro ReLion Lithium Temperature Limitations/Charging

I had some questions on the temperature limitations of the batteries that come on new "Lithium Package" Tellaro's and heard back from the manufacturer. I have posted the response from ReLion for all who may be interested:

We received your form.

My understanding is that two 12VRB100LT’s (low temp) are installed in these Thor Coaches at the OEM level.

Both can discharge down to minus 4 F. The difference is that the LT battery will take any charging current below 32 F and route it to the heater.
When the battery warms up to 32 F, it then can charge at full recommended or max ranges.

The idea is that below 32 F you can only charge the battery between 5 and 10% of the rated capacity. In this case, 5-10 amps.

The LT pushes the temp up to 32 and above so you don’t have to live within those thresholds.

100% charge is fine but most store at 50% and take off the charger. There is no need to trickle charge these lithium batteries.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
I had some questions on the temperature limitations of the batteries that come on new "Lithium Package" Tellaro's and heard back from the manufacturer. I have posted the response from ReLion for all who may be interested:

.....cut.....

Robert, I’m curious where your batteries are located? Are they inside the van in heated living space, or outside under floor?

Have cold batteries been an issue, and if so how? Being from south I don’t ever see this being much of an issue for me, but imagine if I traveled north in winter, and occasionally overnighted in hotel, it could be. Even then, can’t you leave heat set for 40 F while van is unattended?

If batteries are outside under floor, that’s a totally different problem.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Robert, I’m curious where your batteries are located? Are they inside the van in heated living space, or outside under floor?

Have cold batteries been an issue, and if so how? Being from south I don’t ever see this being much of an issue for me, but imagine if I traveled north in winter, and occasionally overnighted in hotel, it could be. Even then, can’t you leave heat set for 40 F while van is unattended?

If batteries are outside under floor, that’s a totally different problem.

The batteries are located underneath the van floor in battery boxes but exposed to colder temperatures than they would be if inside. They are mounted just in front of the rear axle. We plan to use it in the colder months and frequently travel to Ohio and possibly will again in the winter months. North Carolina also has periods of cold weather in the winter which is where it will be most of the time. I have never had lithium batteries and the cold was never an issue with my flooded ones in the class A but could be with this setup. I have always used a space heater in the winters to keep temperatures above freezing and keep the vehicle ready to go quickly and plan to do that with this as well to keep from winterizing with the pink stuff. Never had any problems in the past.