Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2023, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #31193
Tellaro replacement window?

Hello!

I am new to the forum as we got ourselves a 2023 Tellaro 20J earlier this year. Soon after we got it my wife took a trip with her mom and unfortunately while stopping for gas late at night she clipped a bollard on the driver side in front of the rear wheel. It was cosmetic damage and we had it repaired by the body shop at the dealer where we bought it. At first glance everything looked good, however, we just took a long trip and I noticed that the center window on the driver side looked "off". The window was a bit thicker than the others and had a slight blue color in certain light. Today I realized that it was plexiglass and not actual glass like the others.

Before I call the dealer and complain I was hoping that someone could verify that the stock window should be glass and match the others. This is the center window on the drivers side that would be in front of the bathroom on the 20J. If someone with a Tellaro could verify I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by davel View Post
Hello!

I am new to the forum as we got ourselves a 2023 Tellaro 20J earlier this year. Soon after we got it my wife took a trip with her mom and unfortunately while stopping for gas late at night she clipped a bollard on the driver side in front of the rear wheel. It was cosmetic damage and we had it repaired by the body shop at the dealer where we bought it. At first glance everything looked good, however, we just took a long trip and I noticed that the center window on the driver side looked "off". The window was a bit thicker than the others and had a slight blue color in certain light. Today I realized that it was plexiglass and not actual glass like the others.

Before I call the dealer and complain I was hoping that someone could verify that the stock window should be glass and match the others. This is the center window on the drivers side that would be in front of the bathroom on the 20J. If someone with a Tellaro could verify I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
I have a Tellaro and the window is neither glass or plexi- it's Lexan, like all the other coach windows, which is great overall, but the real problem is that TMC or Ram or your dealer probably did not prime the opening or lexan before installing and did not take much to dislodge it! If dealer 'repaired it', then they did it wrong. Sounds like they used too much adhesive, which should be PU (polyurethane) and primed both parts.

Many owners have had the lexan fall right off. Dealer will likely tell you it's a Ram problem, and Ram will say the opposite, from reports I saw when I was in the FB wannabe group.

So get thee to a reputable glass shop and have it re-installed properly. I would not waste time at the dealer, b/c most are not versed in proper glue in procedures for that type of install. Glass guy can tell you more too.

Added note- Lexan panels on these can vary a lot- on mine, that panel sticks out more than the other on that same side, and is visible from the rear view- so be sure that is not more curved, as mine is, than the other. Pic below.

As a test- take a slip of paper, 1-2" wide x 8-10" long and see if you can slip it past the glue line, that surrounds the panel, and that they have sealed the top edge which can collect water and leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass issue, Left side.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	43995  
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:09 PM   #3

THOR #31193
Thanks for the reply Mark54.

To clarify, I don't know for sure that the dealer body shop removed or replaced the original window when repairing the damage to the bottom. The shop manager mentioned having to replace the whole panel so I assumed there was a strong possibility that the window would have to be removed.

We recently took a two week trip and I noticed the windows were not flush when looking in my side mirror. This got me to look at the window closer and when I noticed that the middle window on the left side was not like the rest of the windows on the van. You can see from the pics that there is something different about that particular window or is it just me?

Old 10-30-2023, 08:39 PM   #4

THOR #30506
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mark54.

To clarify, I don't know for sure that the dealer body shop removed or replaced the original window when repairing the damage to the bottom. The shop manager mentioned having to replace the whole panel so I assumed there was a strong possibility that the window would have to be removed.

We recently took a two week trip and I noticed the windows were not flush when looking in my side mirror. This got me to look at the window closer and when I noticed that the middle window on the left side was not like the rest of the windows on the van. You can see from the pics that there is something different about that particular window or is it just me?

Most welcome!

I'd say they replaced and is not the same, but does still look like Lexan from seeing the milled edge that tempered glass would not likely have. def. darker tint, and also misaligned lower edge.
If it isn't leaking, I wouldn't sweat it, but would def. do the paper strip test, and have a local glass installer/ expert look at it to see if installed correctly.
Those panels can all be removed without bothering the inside trim, according to my glass guy.
I replaced my slider panel with a CR Lawrence Tee window with a venting awning panel.
I wish the interior trim on the other side lined up as well, so I could add another behind the driver seat for the kitchen and cross venting.
Scary that they are all just glued on, but so is the windscreen... as long as they primed it correctly, and used the right PU adhesive of course.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7441.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	44003  
Old 10-31-2023, 02:26 PM   #5

THOR #31193
Thanks Mark54. I am still debating on whether to call the dealer and see what they have to say about it.

That T windows looks pretty sharp!
Old 10-31-2023, 02:52 PM   #6

THOR #30506
Quote:
Thanks Mark54. I am still debating on whether to call the dealer and see what they have to say about it.

That T windows looks pretty sharp!
I love the T-window- link here- worth every penny! I now have airflow-
If you do the slider T-window, you may have to remove the wood stripe under the trim- I removed the trim, and was quite a job, so I'd say when side lexan is removed, push the trim in enough to access the one (or 3) screw for each wood piece, and remove. I removed only one, but need all to come out, or the trim will fight the install. Pics included.
(Note "insulation" above- I replaced with Havelock wool and added vapor barrier.

My window guys also discarded the metal inner piece that 'sandwiches' the assembly to the opening- no room for the hardware and trim, so they just glued it in. They primed it well and no issues for the past year. That PU glue is amazing.

Beware there are openings (pic w/ arrows pointing at holes) that need to be sealed in the corners before final install! I (and the installers) missed them and saw in my pics, then had to go in from the backside and seal- Flex tape or Eternabond tape can be used. Trim has to come off for that if it happens.

You'll probably want to do more windows, but the interior trim doesn't line up in the Tellaro/Sequence models.

I also got a full set of VanMade shades for the interior- magnetic and insulated!

The Slider for the Tellaro/Sequence has a special one as well.

https://vanmadegear.com/

I also added a Bugwall rear magnetic screen to the back as well. The 20L does not come with one.

https://www.campervan-hq.com/product...-window-fw395r

Bugwall:https://www.thebugwall.com/collectio...or-full-screen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Completed.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	44010   Click image for larger version

Name:	holes behind slider window.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	44011  

Name:	IMG_7424.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	44012  
Old 11-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #7

THOR #31193
Those VanMade shades look pretty nice. Our Tellaro came with a set of window shades, but the VanMade ones look way nice. I don't see any Thors models listed. Did you get a custom set? What did it cost for the set if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:44 PM   #8

THOR #30506
Quote:
Those VanMade shades look pretty nice. Our Tellaro came with a set of window shades, but the VanMade ones look way nice. I don't see any Thors models listed. Did you get a custom set? What did it cost for the set if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.
Just use "Promaster, 2014+" set- I got these:
Not cheap!! But way better than the supplied ones.

front cab, $510: https://vanmadegear.com/collections/...er-van-cab-set
Rear doors, $215: https://vanmadegear.com/collections/...oor-set-shades
And slider $265, (select bottom one for Tellaro/Sequence/ Rize): https://vanmadegear.com/collections/...42764696092831
Pick your colors and order-

I got the side cab screens but found these to be better,
$95: https://www.whitetopadventures.com/p...t-sold-as-sets

For the other windows, I cut and fitted "smartshield", which is easier than reflectix and better R-value (R5) for the 3mm that it is! I got a 4x10' piece, and have leftovers. You may need to improvise for how to attach by the venting windows.
https://www.amazon.com/SmartSHIELD-3...02&sr=8-5&th=1

For outside added protection- can get w/ or w/o screens-
https://fanchers.com/store/ols/produ...ns-2014-and-up

I know it's a lot, but I use the Fancher's when it's not very cold or hot, and not raining, and the VanMade gear when I don't feel like going outside- sometimes I use both!

As Columbo says, 'one more thing'- weathertech deflectors- handy for rain, and esp, in combination with the white top screens:
https://www.weathertech.com/ram/2021...ow-deflectors/

Hope that helps-
Old 11-02-2023, 12:49 AM   #9

THOR #30506
PS- Be sure to get a proper lock for your sewer door- I had a 20A, and door and hose were detsroyed b/c Thor and PO did not secure. Very common issue with the grey tank setup- opens while driving, and hose gets ripped out from rear wheel running over it.
Suggest a mailbox lock like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-41...628888011&th=1

Some have even flipped the door to hinge on top so it doesn't hit the pavement if it opens while driving.

I replaced my hose with a washer hose and made removeable, and kept inside. Door was gone.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:35 AM   #10

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Mark I see you have the Yakima system. I do too. I have a 2 offset hitch extender turned down so I can open my rear doors without opening the swing arm when the box is not on. Works like a charm.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #11

THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Mark I see you have the Yakima system. I do too. I have a 2 offset hitch extender turned down so I can open my rear doors without opening the swing arm when the box is not on. Works like a charm.
Interesting- w/o the box, I can open my doors w/o any changes- I just fold the arms inwards. They live below the door edge- I did remove the stop pin on the right side to be able to open the doors w/o damaging them on that!
If you look at the pic, you'll see that pin is gone. (just after installing my new Landed Gear spare holder)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LG bkt installed.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	44033  
Old 11-03-2023, 06:46 PM   #12

THOR #31193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark54 View Post
PS- Be sure to get a proper lock for your sewer door- I had a 20A, and door and hose were detsroyed b/c Thor and PO did not secure. Very common issue with the grey tank setup- opens while driving, and hose gets ripped out from rear wheel running over it.
Suggest a mailbox lock like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-41...628888011&th=1
LOL. This happened on the first trip with the van. It opened while driving and ripped off the hose and the door. I used these baby proofing cabinet lock straps. You can see them in the last pic I posed above.

With the mailbox lock you used, did you have to modify the door at all? That looks like it might be a cleaner solution if you didn't have to modify.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:09 AM   #13

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Tellaro replacement window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark54 View Post
Interesting- w/o the box, I can open my doors w/o any changes- I just fold the arms inwards. They live below the door edge- I did remove the stop pin on the right side to be able to open the doors w/o damaging them on that!
If you look at the pic, you'll see that pin is gone. (just after installing my new Landed Gear spare holder)

Ok. I see you removed the stop pin. That was one of the reasons I lowered mine. That knob would keep my door from opening. But the square hole for adding the optional accessories on mine seems to sit up higher and keeps me from opening my door more than a few inches when locked in the closed position. Can you open your doors with it folded in place?
I have a 23 sequence so its a 22 chassis. I have the back up sensors in my bumper and lowering the arm gave me enough clearance for the parking sensors to work.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:08 AM   #14

THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Ok. I see you removed the stop pin. That was one of the reasons I lowered mine. That knob would keep my door from opening. But the square hole for adding the optional accessories on mine seems to sit up higher and keeps me from opening my door more than a few inches when locked in the closed position. Can you open your doors with it folded in place?
I have a 23 sequence so it’s a 22 chassis. I have the back up sensors in my bumper and lowering the arm gave me enough clearance for the parking sensors to work.
Yes I can open my doors all the way with the box swung over, or with box off and arms folded w/o that pin.
The 2022 chassis might be enough different as it is a new design over the 2021 I have, so your receiver could be higher, or they used a different one on yours.
My backup sensors are disabled- one thing TMC did right... or tech at dealer did it for me. He was one guy there who knew his stuff.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #15

THOR #30506
Quote:
LOL. This happened on the first trip with the van. It opened while driving and ripped off the hose and the door. I used these baby proofing cabinet lock straps. You can see them in the last pic I posed above.

With the mailbox lock you used, did you have to modify the door at all? That looks like it might be a cleaner solution if you didn't have to modify.
Just found this searching for something else- regarding mailbox lock - you probably already discovered- no mod needed, just swap out the lock and pick the proper cam for the inside part.

Mark