Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 03:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20LT
State: Florida
THOR #23123
Tellaro/Sequence Sumo Spring Install

We are in the middle of a week long visit to Tn, which started with a 400 mile drive out of South Fl. Just before we left I installed Sumo springs front and rear. Wow! What an amazing difference! I can’t believe that this upgrade isn’t standard equipment. If you haven’t added this do it now.

The installation is easy, anyone can do it. Pretty much just need a good jack and jackstand.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I installed them to my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS(MB Sprinter Chassis) a couple of years ago and found that they made a big difference in the ride. That was an easy do it yourself job at home to install.

Paul
Old 07-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to read that you guys are liking them so much!
(They came as OEM equipment on mine.)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #4

State: Michigan
THOR #22979
Sumo

I also installed based on inputs from this forum and the Promaster forum. I was concerned about the sway that I experienced in high winds which was scary. Since installing the Sumo I have not had similar experiences. We have driven since install in mountains of Vermont, New Hampshire, on Maine on twisty and very windy roads. Overall experience was very good and definitely felt the impact from wind was much less. Felt much more secure driving on the twisty mountain roads than would have thought with such a tall vehicle.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:14 AM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Do they help with the constant steering inputs needed at 70mph with the dodge promaster platform ...
Old 08-01-2021, 03:46 AM   #6

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
Do they help with the constant steering inputs needed at 70mph with the dodge promaster platform ...
I am curious about your steering problem. I am guessing that you have the correct tire pressure for your weight but just want to be sure. If pressure is too high that can contribute to your problem.

I have a ProMaster by a different company and it tracks perfectly at 70 if not very windy.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #7

THOR #22773
I have try a few different ProMasters ... they all seem to have the same issue. You are constantly inputing small input into the steering at higher speeds. In fact, I once owned a Jeep wrangle that did the same thing. Some people do not even notice it, but for some reason I do.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I have try a few different ProMasters ... they all seem to have the same issue. You are constantly inputing small input into the steering at higher speeds. In fact, I once owned a Jeep wrangle that did the same thing. Some people do not even notice it, but for some reason I do.
Often that is a result of the road surface. Over time the weight of vehicles, especially trucks, will wear a groove in the surface of the road. Those grooves are not straight and a vehicle will want to follow the groove. The severity of the grooves will depend on the road material, heat over time and time since paving. Asphalt interstate surfaces are the worst of all.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:34 AM   #9

THOR #23123
Quote:

The drive/ride improvement with the Sumo shocks is 100%. Driving is no longer a laborious task.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #10

Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Which Promaster do you have?
Mine is a 3500 cab chassis. I think it is the longer wheelbase.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:37 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
On my to do list….
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane
THOR #15562
We are in the middle of a week long visit to Tn, which started with a 400 mile drive out of South Fl. Just before we left I installed Sumo springs front and rear. Wow! What an amazing difference! I can’t believe that this upgrade isn’t standard equipment. If you haven’t added this do it now.

The installation is easy, anyone can do it. Pretty much just need a good jack and jackstand

-------------

were yours sumo leaf springs or coil springs you replaced ?

------------
Old 08-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #13

THOR #23123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnySantana View Post

The installation is easy, anyone can do it. Pretty much just need a good jack and jackstand

-------------

were yours sumo leaf springs or coil springs you replaced ?

------------
Neither thats not what Sumo springs are, they really shouldn’t be called springs.

The rear Sumo springs are basically enhanced bump stops, but they are very enhanced. The originals are very small and the springs travels about 2” before they come into play. The Sumo springs actually contact the leaf springs at all times. They help control the movement of the spring.

The front sumo springs are the same type of material that rears are made out of and are threaded into the coil springs. They again help to control the movement of the springs.

They are fantastic and should be included as standard equipment.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:31 PM   #14

State: Michigan
THOR #22979
I noticed that my wife also seems to be constantly making small adjustment to steering while she is driving at speed. I have not noticed that when I drive but of course we drive on different roads. My wife says she does not notice it nor is bothered by it. She loves driving our Sequence and I think the Sumo's have helped make it easier. Can't say if the Sumo will make your issue go away but it makes the ride much better.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #15

THOR #22773
The inputs at speed are not a road thing, it is because of the slight slack in the Ram steering. The inputs are very small, but extremely tiring over time. I usually drive vehicles with a very tight / precise / performance setup steering system so driving the Promaster is very different and it makes me feel unsure / in less control at speeds. The Sumo set-up sounds like something that may help me get more comfortable driving this rig
Old 08-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #16

State: Oklahoma
THOR #4872
Has anyone tried this installation on an older coach? We have a 2000 Infinity handicap rig. The sway around corners is so bad now the damn dishes are falling out of the cabinet. I also am trying to find the proper shocks for replacement of the originals on the F53 frame.
We have a trip to Lake City CO in 3 weeks
Old 08-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #17

THOR #4872
Has anyone tried this installation on an older coach? We have a 2000 Infinity handicap rig. The sway around corners is so bad now the damn dishes are falling out of the cabinet. I also am trying to find the proper shocks for replacement of the originals on the F53 frame.
We have a trip to Lake City CO in 3 weeks
Old 07-29-2022, 02:57 AM   #18

Model: Tellaro 20A
THOR #26167
Tellaro/Sequence Sumo Spring Install

Awesome advice Sheepdog! Installed springs and its like night and Day. These should be standard equipment. Sooo much more control and comfort, couldn’t believe the change.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:40 AM   #19

Model: Tellaro 20L
THOR #26690
I installed the rear Sumo Springs (Bump Guards) myself on my 2022 Tellaro back in April. The fronts looked a bit more involved. Much better ride with less sway.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #20

Brand: Airstream
State: Virginia
THOR #26613
I installed sumo springs and a thicker sway bar in my 2006 dodge sprinter and it made a HUGE difference to ride quality. Drives like a modern SUV now. Every class B owner should absolutely do at least sump springs.