Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
If your aux. receptacle for Solar panel is wired like my 2022 Sanctuary , the Aux. port is wired directly to the 12VDC system & would need its own Controller . You may want to check your Wiring Diagram to see how it is routed on your RV .

Old 09-16-2022, 03:30 PM   #22

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Agreed...

I didn't check the connections, but I absolutely will. The aux. receptacle isn't called out on the schematics (for the 20L 200amp), neither is the solar controller (there is a pic of it's location)

The only way to figure out what they did is to trace the wiring.

For all I know, the aux receptacle has it's own solar controller...betting against that.

Ron.
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:27 AM   #23

THOR #28560
I have a “solar port” on the drivers side, towards the front. I am almost certain to use it you need a portable solar panel with its own solar charger. I swapped out my POS GoPower 10 amp charger and there did not appear to be any wires other than 2 to roof, 2 to batteries and the RV-C plug. Anyone know for sure? I doubt that solar port goes to the installed solar charge controller. I looked at the electrical detail provided by Thor and I don’t see that port.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:59 AM   #24

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Tellaro - Solar Expansion

I would hope the auxiliary port would have its own solar control! I have a jackery 100w solar panel, was hopeful I would get to put it to use in the auxiliary port. Guess I have to do some digging!
Old 02-20-2023, 03:46 AM   #25
MCP

Model: Tellaro 20k
State: Arizona
THOR #27962
Fourthgear in post 21 above I believe has it correct. At least it matches what my 23 Tellaro 20k has. The chassis wiring harness shows a 10 ga green and 10 ga white from the Solar port. White to ground buss and green to the input side of the battery disconnect switch. No connection to the Gopower controller. The only solar connections to the controller are from the roof panel. And on mine the controller is the only the 10 amp version.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:50 AM   #26

THOR #28560
I believe that to be correct, on my 23 Tellaro also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
Fourthgear in post 21 above I believe has it correct. At least it matches what my 23 Tellaro 20k has. The chassis wiring harness shows a 10 ga green and 10 ga white from the Solar port. White to ground buss and green to the input side of the battery disconnect switch. No connection to the Gopower controller. The only solar connections to the controller are from the roof panel. And on mine the controller is the only the 10 amp version.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:43 PM   #27

THOR #27874
I found a few controllers that support RV-C. The only reason to go that route is to be able to see the display on the BMPro...nice but not all that great.

Renology makes one called the REGO- pretty expensive and of course Go Power at half the price.

I think I'm going to finally go with the 30amp Go Power with RV-C. I'll put in the 100amp WonVon (I'm kinda liking these cheap shunts/display - one display can talk to multiple shunts too) to monitor and data log.

I'm adding a second 190watt panel (sitting in the garage right now - too cold yet) in series (the 30amp can handle up-to 100v and the PV wattage is inline). In series, will produce 24v @ 190watts.

I'll be within limits of the 30amp Go Power, so I'll re-wire the external connector in series as well.

I kinda like the series connection as I believe you get a little better efficiency if one panel has more sun than the second...or even a third. Just have to stay under the max input volts and max PV watts on the controller.

Ron
Old 03-03-2023, 09:31 PM   #28

Model: 2023 Tellaro
State: Connecticut
THOR #20423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
I would hope the auxiliary port would have its own solar control! I have a jackery 100w solar panel, was hopeful I would get to put it to use in the auxiliary port. Guess I have to do some digging!

Agreed. I also have a 100w panel to hook up to the aux SAE port. When I plugged it in the Balmar showed a few extra amps of charging. I did that briefly and WITHOUT a controller, however, assuming the SAE aux port would be in parallel with the roof panel.

Having read this thread I’ll now only use the 100w panel with another, waterproof controller I have. Assuming we’re all wrong about this, what bad would come of sending a panel through TWO controllers, other than maybe not enough voltage to do any charging?
Old 03-04-2023, 11:52 PM   #29

THOR #27874
30amp controller on the way from E-trailer.

I don't know too much about portable panels, do any of them come with integrated charge controllers/

If not, I'll repurpose the 10amp for the external port.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #30

THOR #28919
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRM View Post
30amp controller on the way from E-trailer.

I don't know too much about portable panels, do any of them come with integrated charge controllers/

If not, I'll repurpose the 10amp for the external port.

Some panels do come with built in solar controllers. Unfortunately my jackery does not the solar generator itself has the solar controller built in on jackery units.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:27 AM   #31

Model: 2023 Tellaro
State: Connecticut
THOR #20423
Yeah, I have the Jackery 300, what great device. You might consider one of these controllers for the aux solar port:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DH0XQFIZ5&th=1

It has the SAE connections and is water resistant. No idea how good it is, but for bulk or absorption charging I’m sure it’s OK. I’d probably let my onboard inverter/charger float charge in storage, however. And probably with the onboard GoPower turned OFF.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:10 PM   #32

THOR #28919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzlaw View Post
Yeah, I have the Jackery 300, what great device. You might consider one of these controllers for the aux solar port:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DH0XQFIZ5&th=1

It has the SAE connections and is water resistant. No idea how good it is, but for bulk or absorption charging I’m sure it’s OK. I’d probably let my onboard inverter/charger float charge in storage, however. And probably with the onboard GoPower turned OFF.

I’ll have to order one of those. I have the jackery 1000. Is was great for camping before I bought the Rv. Ran everything I threw at it. Gonna be a great compliment to the van when boondocking. I also have 2 100w solar panels to charge the jackery. Great setup.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:48 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #29450
Better off with 2 MPPT's

You are better off with a 2nd MPPT charge controller. You would be running in parallel so both panels charge independently.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:16 AM   #34

THOR #28919
Tellaro - Solar Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealkl View Post
You are better off with a 2nd MPPT charge controller. You would be running in parallel so both panels charge independently.

For sure. I wish jackerys panels had them built in. But they build them into there batteries so a second charge controller is a must if I plug the panel into the van.