Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
What these Euro Class A normally add is a 2-person bed in cab area that could sleep children, grandkids, or another couple overnight during football weekends, etc. Most European compact Class As have similar drop-down beds over driver and passenger seats.

US RV manufacturers seem to prefer B+ floorplans for smaller motorhomes, which makes a comfortable bed in front living area more difficult to design (at least without a slide). The new Winnebago Ekko didn’t even try, placing a pop-up roof on top instead (pop-up similar to vans). For me that’s a deal breaker.

Building a Class C with overcab bed is always an option, but looks more dated and is less aerodynamic. Manufacturers need a creative second-bed option for cab area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E3FAEF1-94DE-4D90-B1F0-551CE6756FF1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	27963  

Old 01-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #22

State: California
THOR #20742
OK, I need to edit my previous post, but I couldn't find the "Edit" tab. The price should be 91K, not 910K. Maybe the moderator can change it for me? Anyway, we are shopping mainly for a class B van. I can see myself buying a Class A-looking RV like this ISmove as long as it is no more than 23' long. I've never liked the looks of any Class C. I looked at the Thor Axis 24' and it sells for 89K. I thought that's a of RV for the money in comparison with B vans. I hope Thor Hymer USA will implement the European automation manufacturing process in building B vans asap.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
For future reference: you have a two-hour window ion which you can edit a post.
After that: you've got what you've got...

But we knew what you meant.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I just saw a news release that was discussing the Chinese EV manufacturer NIO.
Their latest vehicle can be configured to offer a 1,000 km range.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilVan View Post
.....cut.... Anyway, we are shopping mainly for a class B van. I can see myself buying a Class A-looking RV like this ISmove as long as it is no more than 23' long. I've never liked the looks of any Class C. I looked at the Thor Axis 24' and it sells for 89K. I thought that's a of RV for the money in comparison with B vans. I hope Thor Hymer USA will implement the European automation manufacturing process in building B vans asap.

As discussed in various threads, Thor could build a smaller and more maneuverable version of the Axis/Vegas 24.1 if they wanted to, but my guess is that their marketing guys must feel there isn’t enough demand.

To get the length down to no more than 23 feet (7 meters), they could offer a floorplan similar to the brand new Winnebago Ekko. Since the cab area of an Axis is shorter than that of a Transit van, it would reduce length to just under 23 feet.

If they keep wheelbase at Ford OEM 158-inch length, which avoids costs of stretching the chassis, plus build it without a slide like the Ekko, the cost could be even lower, making it more affordable than many Class B van campers.

The Ekko floor plan below shows what it would take to reduce length to <23 feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71FEE0F9-9751-4AFD-8077-1C1BE0E73606.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	27993  
Old 01-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #20431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just curious — has anyone seen any information on the new Hymer USA division of Thor?

Original press release indicated initial RVs would be available in 4th quarter of this year, and I expected we would have seen something by now. A Google search only revealed speculation and guesses, which made interesting reading but not very informative as it relates to us in USA. Perhaps Covid delayed their plans.

Hymer USA is apparently not to be. Apparently during the takeover some "financial irregularities" were found in the North American division and Thor backed away. That said, Edwin Hymer remains owned by Thor as one of the companies making up Thor Industries, but is not part of the separate but related Thor Motorcoach which lists all the Thor RV's in the USA market. From Thorindustries.com, "Companies" menu, there is a link to the Hymer website, and all dealer's are European, and press releases are European travel based. While one press release relates to Thor acquisition, there is not a follow-up giving details on the North American issue.

Wish they could start with a clean slate though and expand to the US as that would be a great opportunity. But ultimately, that is a decision for Thor Industries to make if they want to expand Thor Motorcoach.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"It was not to be: Cherie..."

Old 01-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizeye View Post
Hymer USA is apparently not to be. Apparently during the takeover some "financial irregularities" were found in the North American division and Thor backed away. That said, Edwin Hymer remains owned by Thor as one of the companies making up Thor Industries, but is not part of the separate but related Thor Motorcoach which lists all the Thor RV's in the USA market. From Thorindustries.com, "Companies" menu, there is a link to the Hymer website, and all dealer's are European, and press releases are European travel based. While one press release relates to Thor acquisition, there is not a follow-up giving details on the North American issue.

Wish they could start with a clean slate though and expand to the US as that would be a great opportunity. But ultimately, that is a decision for Thor Industries to make if they want to expand Thor Motorcoach.

Most of this information is not correct, and is based on old news.

Following the RoadTrek/Hymer North America mess, Thor purchased Hymer minus the very small North America portion which then went bankrupt along with RoadTrek.

The vast majority of Hymer, which is huge by comparison to the tiny part that made up “North America” along with RoadTrek out of Canada, was indeed later purchased by Thor.

Over a year later, Thor announced they would start building Hymers in the USA at a new plant using German engineering and manufacturing processes.

Due to Covid, Thor cancelled (or maybe delayed) those plans because German engineers couldn’t travel to USA as required, and ended up using the plant space to build other RVs during high demand last year.

It’s easy to commingle these two different “Hymer” stories, but we need to keep them straight before damage is done to Hymer brand. I would still like to see Thor import or build Euro-style motorhomes in USA.

The following may clear up a little between Hymer North America (RoadTrek) and Hymer USA (Thor).

https://newatlas.com/automotive/hyme...ed-campers-us/
Old 01-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
Thanks for the update.
So there's a "Big H", and a "little h"...
Which one is "Erwin Hymer"?
Old 02-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #30

THOR #2121
An update on Hymer motorhomes coming to USA. Sounds like it’s still planned, but was delayed due to Covid.

https://rvbusiness.com/looking-back-...n-hymer-group/
Old 02-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So keep on keeping your fingers crossed...
Old 10-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #32

State: Michigan
THOR #25113
Hymer USA progress?

Any news on current status?
Was hopeful on getting access to European designs for their efficient size and improved quality.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #33

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
When ANY motorhome manufacturer gloats about their "quality and attention to detail", remove a few screwed-in panels and see how much sawdust, orphan screws, orphan wire nuts, stripped wire insulation, etc. you find.

If its immaculate, I might be more inclined to believe their claim. Otherwise, all fluff and window dressing. With the price of motorhomes skyrocketing, a low skilled employee spending 15 minutes with a shop vac and a damp rag would NOT put a dent in profit margin.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
When ANY motorhome manufacturer gloats about their "quality and attention to detail", remove a few screwed-in panels and see how much sawdust, orphan screws, orphan wire nuts, stripped wire insulation, etc. you find.

If its immaculate, I might be more inclined to believe their claim. Otherwise, all fluff and window dressing. With the price of motorhomes skyrocketing, a low skilled employee spending 15 minutes with a shop vac and a damp rag would NOT put a dent in profit margin.

Hymer does not design and manufacture motorhomes like those in USA. For starters, plywood and solid wood is too heavy for European weight limits. From pictures, it looks like Hymer builds a bit closer to the inside of a plane or car, not a log cabin.

I would expect very little sawdust or debris in a true European Hymer. The real question I have is whether Thor would ever manufacture Hymers in USA using European design and manufacturing (adapted to NA), or if they end up sticking a Hymer logo on an American product. Thor CEO said they would build them much like in Europe, but they haven’t moved forward at all on Hymer, so not holding my breath on any of it.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #35

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Hymer does not design and manufacture motorhomes like those in USA. For starters, plywood and solid wood is too heavy for European weight limits. From pictures, it looks like Hymer builds a bit closer to the inside of a plane or car, not a log cabin.

I would expect very little sawdust or debris in a true European Hymer. The real question I have is whether Thor would ever manufacture Hymers in USA using European design and manufacturing (adapted to NA), or if they end up sticking a Hymer logo on an American product. Thor CEO said they would build them much like in Europe, but they haven’t moved forward at all on Hymer, so not holding my breath on any of it.
Remember when GM stuck a Cadillac badge on Chevy Cavalier? A classic case of "Marketing trumps Engineering", which evidently fooled quite a few.

Chrysler used the same "rebadging" with the illustrious K platform. Since then, it's become common practice to hide "identical off the shelf mechanicals" under ever-changing body panels and plastic in entire lineups from one car manufacturer. It's a GREAT way for manufacturers to consolidate parts... then adjust pricing according to the "badge". Not so good for the unwary consumer.

Thor has employed a similar tactic for years... using the concept of "sister" products to keep dealers happy. Identical products - different decals.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Or kind of like My Missus' new Lincoln Corsair Reserve...
It is actually just a re-badged Ford Escape Titanium...

But does feel like a completely different vehicle!

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1634313076
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210915_135413.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	34336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home 07.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	34337  

Old 10-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Ford has got pretty good these days at reskinning their cars to become Lincolns.

Aviator=Explorer
Navigator=Expedition
etc.

Rumor has it that there will be a Lincoln version of the Mach-E in the future...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ford has got pretty good these days at reskinning their cars to become Lincolns.

Aviator=Explorer
Navigator=Expedition
etc.

Rumor has it that there will be a Lincoln version of the Mach-E in the future...
Yup! I heard that they'll call it the "Mach-$"!
Actually: her Corsair is about 300 lbs heavier, and the technology package is just amazing!
It rides and feels nothing like her Escape.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #39

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Rumor is it has pretty stellar lineage...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vought_F4U_Corsair_(USMC).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	34338  
Old 10-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Love the b video..

“Hymer USA will feature a very different way of manufacturing not currently seen in the North American RV industry, including automated processes that will be implemented throughout design and assembly,” James said. “Products will benefit from the world-leading quality standards set by EHG and our new work environment will feature highly skilled team members collaborating directly with employees from EHG’s European operations while incorporating the speed to market for which Thor is well-regarded.”
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote