Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #25113
Probably a good dose of guerrilla marketing out there in forums and comment sections.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #62

THOR #25113
Maybe the recent opening up of international travel for vaccinated will get the Hymer US on track. Hope they focus on new opportunity in cutaway models that are B class sized (6.5m) and off-road/boondocking ready. I would only change batteries to lithium and separator toilet in place of cassette. Ford chassis would be nice for lower cost, 4wd and 4 wheels (no dually). German layout.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #63

THOR #25113
I would think Wingamm entry and excitement would get Hymer USA back on schedule and not missing their opportunity.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #64

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #25357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I don't understand the economics of what they are doing. Six hours for final assembly with what, maybe 5 guys working on average. That is 30 manhours and at $30 per hour is less than $1,000 of labor on a trailer that sells for what $20,000.

They could slow things down by 50%, pay their guys 50% more and avoid all of the problems in the second video by paying only $1,000 more to build it right.

David
Anybody who has ever worked in production management knows the math does not work this way--with many false assumptions. Here are two, just to start.

If you double your production time, you half your capacity per square foot. Land and buildings aren't cheap.

Also, that $30/hr employee...he costs closer to 90/hr to employ than 30.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #65

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRV View Post
I would think Wingamm entry and excitement would get Hymer USA back on schedule and not missing their opportunity.

Wingamm hasn’t done much yet, so I doubt that will influence large manufacturers like Thor and Winnebago.

After purchasing Hymer, Thor increased their market share of Class B van campers significantly, now practically tied with Winnebago for 1st place. I expect some of that growth was with Hymer design and engineering assistance.

If gas prices remain high as at present, or go even higher, demand for large Class As and Cs will drop even faster, making room for smaller and more fuel efficient motorhomes. I think some people will still want to camp and travel, and will adapt to their budget accordingly.

Wingamm is not the first Euro-style compact motorhome introduced in USA. After the oil crisis in the 70s, companies like Winnebago and others offered small motorhomes that could exceed 20 MPG. In time, however, we as a country reverted to larger, heavier, and thirstier motorhomes. That can be expected when gas is cheap, not so much when it’s expensive. Forecasting demand must be tough on RV manufacturers since gas could go down in price just as fast as it went up. Or not.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #66

THOR #25113
Thor class B's are mostly nock-offs of Winnebago and other US B classes. Their original press release about bringing European production methods to US was spot on, but seems to be on permanent hold. Could be Hymer/Thor working on re-imaginating the future RV; solar battery powered systems (no propane nor generator), 12-48V appliances and not primarily for campgrounds.
The popularity of smaller motorhomes was before recent gas prices and is about where you can go. The European's know how to make compact RVs with quality. The future motorhome sweet spot is purpose built on mainstream chassis, 6-7m 19-23', sleeping 2 to 4, and garage that can hold a couple e-bikes. Fuel economy is just an added bonus.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #67

State: Texas
THOR #2121
As mentioned before, Hymer plans were reportedly delayed when German engineers couldn’t travel to US due to Covid, followed by manufacturing plant that was to be used for Hymer being repurposed (equipped) to build large motorhomes when Thor could not keep up with high Covid-related motorhome demand.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #68

THOR #25113
But still stalled because US Thor brands don't want the competition.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #69

Brand: Hymer
State: Colorado
THOR #27780
AC unit

Hello. I am trying to find out some info on the 2019 Hymer Aktiv 2.0 loft edition. The AC unit is blowing warm air. I was told the unit has to be replaced instead of being serviced. Is this true?
Old 08-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #70
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyH. View Post
Hello. I am trying to find out some info on the 2019 Hymer Aktiv 2.0 loft edition. The AC unit is blowing warm air. I was told the unit has to be replaced instead of being serviced. Is this true?
Most RV AC units cannot be serviced and must be replaced.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #71

Brand: Hymer
State: Colorado
THOR #27780
Thank you!
Old 08-25-2022, 11:56 PM   #72

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Most RV AC units cannot be serviced and must be replaced.
I would have it looked at , because it could be something simple also , I have replaced many Compressors , fan motors & ,fixed leaks in all kinds of mobile unit .