Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2021, 04:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Minnesota
THOR #24809
2022 Tellaro 20L generator fault

My rig is winterized and in a storage unit which has power but no heat. Every two weeks I disconnect my shore power, start up my rig and pull out of the storage unit so exhaust is outside. After 20 minutes, i turn off the rig and start the generator which runs for about 15 minutes, then starts to sputter and shuts off which shows "fault" on my control panel. I put my rig back in the storage unit and started the generator again which ran for about 5 minutes and cleared the fault.
The gas tank is full with Sta-Bil added.
The rig is level in the storage unit.
The rig is on a slight down slope outside the storage unit.
Thoughts / suggestions???

Old 11-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #2

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Since you do not mention it, does the MH have a minimum 1/4 tank of fuel to run the generator? Also, what is the fault (see owner's manual)?
Old 11-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #3

THOR #24809

Thanks for the reply.
The MH gas tank is full (new gas) with Sta-Bil (gasoline stabilizer) added.
The control panel just said generator "fault" but nothing specific.
Unfortunately, the owners manual had 5 pages of information on the generator but no mention of any fault conditions. I may have to call Thor tech support.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #4

THOR #16471
Welcome!!!

For more specific data, I would help but I cannot see what Make/model of generator you have.... With that info, I am sure there is a manual online that will explain any fault codes. Info is golden when asking for help.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #5

THOR #24809
Smile 2022 Tellaro 20L generator fault

Just talked to Thor tech support and they emailed me the owners manual for my Cummings-Onan 2800i generator which lists about 25 various fault conditions. However, i may need to try looking at the generator with a mirror and light (safety first) which is underneath my rig. Maybe their is a fault code readout on the generator (fingers crossed) because my control panel in the rig says "generator fault" only. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #6

THOR #16471
It does sound like a new generator, I cannot find the manual online.
You may be one of the few experts with this one!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/onan...0i-477564.html
Old 11-24-2021, 01:20 AM   #7

THOR #24809

Tried to upload the manual which is 10M and file size is 3M. Oh well...
Started reading through the 122 pages and it's an inverter generator.
New technology i guess. Thanks for the link to the other posts.
Yes, it is very quiet.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
Is your generator gasoline or LP?
Harry
Old 11-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #9

THOR #24809
Tellaro 20L generator fault

The generator operates on gasoline.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:11 AM   #10

Model: Tellaro KT
State: Washington
THOR #24549
Tellaro 20L generator fault

How did this issue get resolved? I’m having the same issue with me Tellaro’s generator. Was working fine and then sputtered like it was out of gas and quit with fault message. Full tank of gas and on level ground. Now it will start but just runs for a few seconds, sputters, and shuts down…
Old 06-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #11

THOR #16471
You can "tag team" all you want... cannot help with the little information provided.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Oil in generator may be low. There's a low oil sensor that will shut it down if low. The slight incline or the reduced level in the pan after starting may be the division bell. A standard question I ask a lot of camper neighbors (when talking mechanical crap) is "when last did you check the oil level in your generator?". It's really funny how many different "dear in the headlight" facial expressions are out there...while they think of a good answer.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #13

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
How did this issue get resolved? I’m having the same issue with me Tellaro’s generator. Was working fine and then sputtered like it was out of gas and quit with fault message. Full tank of gas and on level ground. Now it will start but just runs for a few seconds, sputters, and shuts down…
I have a new Onan 2800 model with 20 hours on it that did the same thing a couple of times. In my case, I was trying to run the air conditioner with the inverter turned off and the charger in bulk stage charging. There is no way to turn the charger off with my mastervolt 3000 watt inverter/charger. When I turned the inverter on prior to starting the generator, the problem went away and the generator started and ran normally. Depending on your setup, these generators will use power from the batteries to "assist" if the load is high so make sure you have "no load" on the generator when starting it. I would recommend just making sure the inverter is turned on prior to starting the generator. Mine would sputter and turn off as soon as I turned the air conditioner on when the inverter was turned off. Mine also showed the fault message but went away once the inverter was turned on prior to generator start.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:57 AM   #14

THOR #24549

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Oil in generator may be low. There's a low oil sensor that will shut it down if low. The slight incline or the reduced level in the pan after starting may be the division bell. A standard question I ask a lot of camper neighbors (when talking mechanical crap) is "when last did you check the oil level in your generator?". It's really funny how many different "dear in the headlight" facial expressions are out there...while they think of a good answer.
Thanks for the comment. You’re right, I didn’t think of checking the oil level. Unfortunately oil is full. Tried to start it again today. Started normally, ran for a couple of seconds and shut down with no “fault” this time. FYI my model is the Onan 2800i.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:00 AM   #15

THOR #24549

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
I have a new Onan 2800 model with 20 hours on it that did the same thing a couple of times. In my case, I was trying to run the air conditioner with the inverter turned off and the charger in bulk stage charging. There is no way to turn the charger off with my mastervolt 3000 watt inverter/charger. When I turned the inverter on prior to starting the generator, the problem went away and the generator started and ran normally. Depending on your setup, these generators will use power from the batteries to "assist" if the load is high so make sure you have "no load" on the generator when starting it. I would recommend just making sure the inverter is turned on prior to starting the generator. Mine would sputter and turn off as soon as I turned the air conditioner on when the inverter was turned off. Mine also showed the fault message but went away once the inverter was turned on prior to generator start.
Thanks. I made sure no load and turned the inverter on but no go. Frustrating for sure. Hopefully it’s something simple the service folks can fix.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #16

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Thanks. I made sure no load and turned the inverter on but no go. Frustrating for sure. Hopefully it’s something simple the service folks can fix.
NP and sorry you are having the problem. From what you described it sounds like it could be fuel starvation problem. There is a fuel filter on these and might be worth changing it just to make sure it is not clogged and you should be able to do this yourself. You may check the fuel line to make sure it does not have a kink. Looking at the manual, fuel filter is located beneath the air-filter on the right side. Mine is also a 2800i and I have not changed the filter yet so can't be any help on how difficult it is to do but worth trying before taking to a dealer. If you go to Cummins website, they have a downloadable "RV Generator Handbook" on line that has pictures of that model with diagrams as to where all the components are located. These are fuel injected so there should not be any carburetor problems.
One last thing to try because this happened on my class A 10000 watt generator:
It would run and "cut off" if I started it with a remote switch, but it would run normally if you used the switch on the generator. In that case, took to Onan and they had to replace a "relay" in the generator. You may try and start it from the switch on the generator itself instead of using the BM Pro remote location. There is a toggle switch located at the top right of the generator that will allow you to manually start and turn it off and good to know anyway in case you have a problem with the RVMaster BMPRO. I know it works on mine because started it and turned it off from there after changing the oil a few days ago.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Thanks for the comment. You’re right, I didn’t think of checking the oil level. Unfortunately oil is full. Tried to start it again today. Started normally, ran for a couple of seconds and shut down with no “fault” this time. FYI my model is the Onan 2800i.
If near Cummings they will fix free and extend warranty
Old 06-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #18

THOR #24809

Hello ChrisB,
I determined that my Tellaro was not level as i had it parked on a slight decline. Once i moved the Tellaro to level ground, i never had that problem again.
Regards,
Gray Nomad
Old 06-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Nomad View Post
Hello ChrisB,
I determined that my Tellaro was not level as i had it parked on a slight decline. Once i moved the Tellaro to level ground, i never had that problem again.
Regards,
Gray Nomad
I've never heard of a generator not running because it wasn't level. Could that be the case? Sure, if it was so far out of level as to trip the low oil sensor (if installed) or interfere with the carb float level feed of gasoline. But your oil would have to be pretty low to start with and you'd have to be pretty far out of level; I mean waaaaay far for the gasoline issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:45 AM   #20

THOR #24549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Nomad View Post
Hello ChrisB,
Regards,
Gray Nomad
Thanks Gary - oddly enough I had this issue about 6 months ago when parked on a hill and had the same experience where it worked once we moved to a level spot. This time it’s nice and level and just won’t work.