Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2023, 11:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Needles Highway SD

Looking to head out to South Dakota in September. Really want to drive through Custer state park. Anyone take their sequence or Tellaro (20L) through the tunnels? One is 9’8” high and 10’ according to signage. The sequence listing shows 9’5”. I haven’t officially measured mine yet. On YouTube videos I see tour busses get through which have to be taller.

Old 04-30-2023, 02:03 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
When you get to Custer State Park the gate attendant will measure your rig for you and let you know if you will clear. We had a 2006, 5210 Gulfstream B Touring Cruiser first time we went to Custer State Park. The gate attendant used the "stick" to measure us up, we would have fit but I didn't want to push the issue as side clearance in all the tunnels is VERY tight.
Last summer we did the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road in our toad, a Jeep Cherokee. We saw several bubble top class B's with the Mercedes & Dodge chassis on the roads. In fact, we followed a B through the Eye of the Needle. He cleared overhead by inches and had his mirrors pulled in.
I wish I could find the link to the You Tube video of the idjit trying to pull a travel trailer up Iron Mountain Road. Trashed the TT getting it pulled out of a pig tail bridge. It is truly amazing how stupid some folks are!

Some folks, I have been told, air down to gain an inch clearance when driving the Iron Mountain Road & Needles Highway.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:29 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
We went through with our Siesta 24 SA on the 3500 Sprinter chassis. I touched the drivers mirror on the side wall. No damage. If you want to be safe, fold in mirrors before going through.
Harry
Old 04-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #4

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Thanks for the responses. I’m glad to hear they actually measure your rig. That would definitely be a confidence booster.