Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2021, 04:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #25540
Thor Tranquility/Sanctuary 19P Defects

Considering purchasing a 19P. In reviewing the various videos and posts (here and facebook) I came up with a list of defects that are present on the van when its delivered from the factory to the dealer.

Please add missing items to my list. If any of these defects have been corrected by the factory, it would be nice to know.

Thanks!

Thor Sanctuary/Tranquility 19P Defects

Door Screens do not roll up (no zipper/magnet issues).

Sliding door interior panel falls off

Sliding door - does not open from the inside

Floor penetrations not sealed (19P)

Water leaks, poor workmanship in cabinet below refrigerator (19P)

Bathroom doors - do not close properly (19P)

Electrical - breakers trip

Window Sliders - need lubrication

Exterior light bar - loose needs tightening

Old 12-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #25047

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Coast View Post
Considering purchasing a 19P. In reviewing the various videos and posts (here and facebook) I came up with a list of defects that are present on the van when its delivered from the factory to the dealer.

Please add missing items to my list. If any of these defects have been corrected by the factory, it would be nice to know.

Thanks!

Thor Sanctuary/Tranquility 19P Defects

Door Screens do not roll up (no zipper/magnet issues).

Sliding door interior panel falls off

Sliding door - does not open from the inside

Floor penetrations not sealed (19P)

Water leaks, poor workmanship in cabinet below refrigerator (19P)

Bathroom doors - do not close properly (19P)

Electrical - breakers trip

Window Sliders - need lubrication

Exterior light bar - loose needs tightening

Let me first say that we love our 19P. But disappointed in the quality of workmanship on some of the Thor parts. I think there are some design defects like the side door screen, rear bed hinges on the rear side seats poke up when flat. Not every unit has every problem. We only had 1 on your list, the side screen design. However we have had our share of poor quality workmanship, here’s our list so far on our unit:

Rear bed hinges (there was a post on here that design may have been changed to Velcro cushions?)

No sliding door or rear door window shades
1 rear side window has rubber seal falling out
Cassette toilet outside access door frame detaching from the van
Sewer hose door had inadequate latch to keep door closed
Alternator added for the lithium battery, the belt is hitting the cowling in the engine area
Rear door screen grommet does not line up with the securing button on ceiling
Screw coming through the front cabinet finish on sink/stove cabinet
Brake rotors rusted
Outlet on kitchen cabinet loose.

Fortunately La Mesa RV in San Diego is very receptive and have fixed some of these on our first service visit and have ordered parts for others.

We have a friend in RV service business in San Diego area and he said poor workmanship is pretty common in almost all the RV companies.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #25540
Exclamation

Thanks for the reply.

This will be my 3rd camper van. Previously owned a Winnebago Travato & a Pleasure Way Excel.

Like most of you, I am interested in the Thor due to the Mercedes platform.

I acknowledge that the manufacturers have poor to no quality control. I just want to know as much about the defects before purchasing.

In addition, I will have to travel to a dealer and don’t want to be wasting time and money looking at a lemon.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
I have been pretty open about my experiences with my Sanctuary as I have created a number of videos showcasing the issues I have had and how I have fixed them ... along with other modification to make it better. Like most people, I purchased because of the diesel Mercedes 4X4 platform ... knowing I would face some build quality issues.

My advice, make sure you do a though and complete PDI and do not accept the RV until they have fixed all the bigger issues. You have outline a few issues above ... add these to your list as well.

1) Test the awning! These have really weak motors and many have trouble retracting when fully extended. Let the awning fully extend without anyone pushing the button to stop it before it fully extends. Then try to retract it.

2) Make sure you have the awning manual tool ... you will need this when the awning motor gets stuck.

3) Test drive over 65 MPH and feel for shakes ... the rims/tires are know to be defective from the factory

4) Test all water systems and look for leaks. Common areas are within the water pump cabinet and the exterior cassette toilet access area.

5) Do not forget to get the bluetooth speaker ... often missing.

6) Test the vent fan and listen for rubbing

7). The light bar cloth cover is usually damaged in some way

8) test everything ... as if you were camping including the hot water heater, interior heater, and gas stove.

9) do not forget to test the inverter ... the TV outlet is connected to the inverter

10) Run the generator loaded ... AC and microwave on at the same time.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
26,000 miles on my 4x4 RV. Real ford f850+ 4x4 components.
I've Never used RV 4x4.
I live at 6,500/7,000 feet altitude in a place that at least once a year is the coldest in the contiguous.
We average 76"+ of yearly snow.
December averages 6 snow days.
I have 1 mile of dirt drive way with a 12%hill.
I own five 4x4 licensed vehicles.
One is a hard-core purpose built offroader.
Times 4x4 needed on an enclosed vehicle in the last 10 years?
None.
Engaged? yes. Needed? No.

I know why I have 4x4.
Why do you want it?
I ask because your answer might help other potential buyers decide if the expense has real value.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #6

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
26,000 miles on my 4x4 RV. Real ford f850+ 4x4 components.
I've Never used RV 4x4.
I live at 6,500/7,000 feet altitude in a place that at least once a year is the coldest in the contiguous.
We average 76"+ of yearly snow.
December averages 6 snow days.
I have 1 mile of dirt drive way with a 12%hill.
I own five 4x4 licensed vehicles.
One is a hard-core purpose built offroader.
Times 4x4 needed on an enclosed vehicle in the last 10 years?
None.
Engaged? yes. Needed? No.

I know why I have 4x4.
Why do you want it?
I ask because your answer might help other potential buyers decide if the expense has real value.

I’m a bit confused, do you have a Tranquility/sanctuary?
Old 12-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I have an e450 24.1 axis 4x4.
The key being 4x4.
As a defined choice,

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #8

Model: Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #24975
Agree about the vehicle shaking badly at highway speeds, and the fact that Mercedes can't do much beyond trying to balance the flawed wheels. Helped a bit, but the wheels are not Mercedes-Benz, so discuss with Thor.

Air-conditioning doesn't work on generator power.
Only when plugged into shore power. Waiting for warranty to replace the AC unit in hopes of a resolution.

All plumbing fittings should be examined and add plumbers tape onto the threads to fix the leaks.

This is not an all inclusive list of issues, but they are my major concerns which haven't been remedied since August 2021 purchase of my 2022 19P
Old 01-23-2022, 12:04 AM   #9

THOR #25702
Purchased a Tranquility 19L 5 days ago. Going through all systems everything works fine except the awning wouldn’t retract and charging system won’t charge. No generator, has the “reliable lithium system “. I’m five hours away from Sacramento LaMesa RV, however after numerous phone calls have offered no help. Tech line guy back East was really understanding but stumped also. Any help much appreciated. I’m at 24% and I understand it’s not good to drop below 20%. HELP
Old 01-23-2022, 12:26 AM   #10

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
Purchased a Tranquility 19L 5 days ago. Going through all systems everything works fine except the awning wouldn’t retract and charging system won’t charge. No generator, has the “reliable lithium system “. I’m five hours away from Sacramento LaMesa RV, however after numerous phone calls have offered no help. Tech line guy back East was really understanding but stumped also. Any help much appreciated. I’m at 24% and I understand it’s not good to drop below 20%. HELP

We had the same problem. What does the master volt indicate? Turn off the inverter if you aren’t using it. It alone sucked down our battery. Is it solar charging? I called Thor and there is a switch under the rear driver side the disconnects the battery. I’m not sure what the real technical description is but our was in the incorrect position. I’ll include a picture and try to find the user pdf that was sent.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8520.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	35763
Old 01-23-2022, 12:31 AM   #11

THOR #25047

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
We had the same problem. What does the master volt indicate? Turn off the inverter if you aren’t using it. It alone sucked down our battery. Is it solar charging? I called Thor and there is a switch under the rear driver side the disconnects the battery. I’m not sure what the real technical description is but our was in the incorrect position. I’ll include a picture and try to find the user pdf that was sent.
Attachment 35763

I think it’s called the safety relay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74CC26FB-4149-45E5-BCB1-F35D6B000023.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	35768   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F257609-EC84-4BED-8187-D57D7BD66358.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	35769  

Old 01-23-2022, 01:07 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Ohio winters demand AWD cars; I'll never be without one now... due to the roads (in winter) where we live. But AWD does take the fun out of those parking lot donuts. . But RVs? Different animal... unless you're primarily camping off-road.

But how many 4wd RVs are ever going off road? There's many thousands of Jeeps that never see a rutted dirt road, let alone an RV. Maybe a great advertising scheme... but in reality??
Old 01-23-2022, 01:25 AM   #13

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Ohio winters demand AWD cars; I'll never be without one now... due to the roads (in winter) where we live. But AWD does take the fun out of those parking lot donuts. . But RVs? Different animal... unless you're primarily camping off-road.

But how many 4wd RVs are ever going off road? There's many thousands of Jeeps that never see a rutted dirt road, let alone an RV. Maybe a great advertising scheme... but in reality??

We have used ours a lot off road in the southwest deserts and on beaches in Baja. It is extra insurance on those dirt and sandy roads in case conditions change quickly. Plus the extra clearance has been appreciated.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #14

THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
Attachment 35763
Master volt indicates 8% this morning, not sure how to read anything else. Looked all around under the van and also removed the cover on the couch behind the drivers seat. No yellow switch as specified in the manual, or your photo. Thanks for your response,. What am I looking for on the Mastervolt?.sounds dumb, but I’m pretty lame when it comes to electrical stuff.
Many Thanks RS
Old 01-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #15

THOR #25047
Quote:
Master volt indicates 8% this morning, not sure how to read anything else. Looked all around under the van and also removed the cover on the couch behind the drivers seat. No yellow switch as specified in the manual, or your photo. Thanks for your response,. What am I looking for on the Mastervolt?.sounds dumb, but I’m pretty lame when it comes to electrical stuff.

Many Thanks RS

The switch is outside driver side, under the van, behind the propane turn on/off switch. You have to get down on the ground to see it.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:33 PM   #16

THOR #25702
Thanks, did that. Apparently the new model doesn’t have the switches according to the weekend tech guy. . He didn’t really offer up the option.
Thanks RS
Old 01-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #17

THOR #25047
Quote:
Thanks, did that. Apparently the new model doesn’t have the switches according to the weekend tech guy. . He didn’t really offer up the option.
Thanks RS

That’s funny because ours is pretty new, 2022. We just got it end of Sept. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #18

THOR #25047
Quote:
Thanks RS

Do you have solar? Does the solar controller indicate that the solar is charging?
Old 01-23-2022, 08:26 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #25596
I just bought mine (jan2022) and there is a switch. Are your batteries inside under the seat or in a box underneath in the spare tire area? Mine is under the seat and the relay switch is on the passenger side beneath the rear bench. Easy access by opening the back doors.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #20

THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_MT View Post
I just bought mine (jan2022) and there is a switch. Are your batteries inside under the seat or in a box underneath in the spare tire area? Mine is under the seat and the relay switch is on the passenger side beneath the rear bench. Easy access by opening the back doors.
Found the yellow switch located in a cabinet directly underneath the Combi master. Have to unscrew a panel on the cabinet to access it. That’s fine at least I know where it is now and it was in the proper position. Got the van to charge on shore power but alternator charge is inop.
Thanks for your reply.
RS