Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Too many differing opinions on these cell extenders

I've read all the posts and a ton of articles and it really seems like whether or not these will work well depends on too many factors.

Some think they are great and then others think the same set up is crap. I'd like to get one but don't want to be disappointed.

PLUS - the cell carriers seem to throttle and regulate the data for a given tower anyway, so even if you had an extender you still can't get any speed worth surfing. Usually if you're camping it's one tower that might be in your area.

It's exactly like that here in AZ with the federal Pine Grove campground up north. There is one tower a couple of miles away they play games with.

Anyway, I know there are exotic options too. I wasn't looking to have to get too tricky.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
I've read all the posts and a ton of articles and it really seems like whether or not these will work well depends on too many factors.

Some think they are great and then others think the same set up is crap. I'd like to get one but don't want to be disappointed.

PLUS - the cell carriers seem to throttle and regulate the data for a given tower anyway, so even if you had an extender you still can't get any speed worth surfing. Usually if you're camping it's one tower that might be in your area.

It's exactly like that here in AZ with the federal Pine Grove campground up north. There is one tower a couple of miles away they play games with.

Anyway, I know there are exotic options too. I wasn't looking to have to get too tricky.
For real expert advice go to the equipment forums and not an RV forum.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
On my first job as a bag boy at the grocery store...the "crew" sent me to the back room for a "bag stretcher". They said you can get more groceries in the bag with one. I finally found it...right next to the cell extenders.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #4

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one
Old 07-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post

Read the t mobile home internet posts.
May help
Old 07-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I don't know what a cell extender is however I run a Wilson amp which kicks my cell up to 3 watts instead of 0.3. They are commonly called cell boosters.

Certainly, works when signals are weak, and the primary reason is probably the external antenna getting a much better ground plane.

We don't have any reason to stream unless wanting to catch maybe one or two programs over time. TV is off the satellite.

As the OP noted you're not going to improve bandwidth or anything remotely close with a gadget.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I looked at them as well as came to the conclusion they aren't worth the money. Between having to be right next to the unit for it to be beneficial and being in places where there just isn't any coverage, I passed on them.

I opted for Starlink for RV's which is a real game changer. You get Internet in places there isn't any cell coverage and you get WiFi calling as well. You also can stream YouTube TV, Netflex, etc. where there isn't any TV signal or cable.

The hardware investment is close to a wash as a cellular booster and then the ability to pause the service when you aren't using it is a huge benefit.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have a cell booster installed on my sticks and bricks and it works great.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote