Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Tour the ALL NEW 2022 Tiffin 24RT B+/C Class RV

In This video I get an exclusive look at the ALL NEW 2022 Tiffin 24RT B+ /C-Class RV. This RV is built on the Ford AWD chassis. Tell me what you think.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
As expected it didn’t take long before the Winnebago EKKO was copied in general design/floorplan. Tiffin made the Midas motorhome a couple of feet longer than EKKO yet it doesn’t seem that much roomier except for its conventional bathroom being much larger than the EKKO’s.

I like much of the Midas’ design but some of it isn’t clear to me. The first is that I don’t see a dining table. Where does it go and how does it mount?

Also, the bike garage under the Twin/King beds appears much smaller than that of the EKKO. It’s hard to say from pictures and videos, but looks narrower and lower. It would be a shame if not tall enough to haul bikes.

The 3-way fridge is a nice feature, as is microwave higher than knee level.

Midas price is listed lower than EKKO’s, but specs suggest it doesn’t have some of the high-tech features. Also, though Transit chassis is AWD like EKKO, the added length and lower profile likely makes it less capable of going off-pavement.

Overall I like the floorplan with bike garage, forward facing seats, no slide, etc. However, I’m still not a fan of Transit chassis. The front seats (assuming they even swivel) are much lower than the seat behind cab. And that seat doesn’t look comfortable for lounging hours at a time.

Just my 2 cents....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BE4D6B4-177F-481A-9663-BAF12ECC07F6.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	38635   Click image for larger version

Name:	35247E73-DBF8-4E53-942D-A3DC91B55F25.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	38636  

Old 07-11-2022, 03:48 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Here's what I think. I don't want to watch advertising or monetized videos on an RV forum.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #4

THOR #22773
Chance ... good catch! I knew the floorpan looked familiar, just could not pinpoint which one.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That RV has a TON of storage room in it...
Thanks for posting about it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #6

THOR #2121
It’s a huge move in the right direction in my opinion, but as always the Devil is in the details. Overall the basic layout and design has many of the features I wanted in an Axis 24.1 back when we needed/wanted a larger motorhome. Features previously suggested to turn an Axis 24.1 into touring coach:

1) No slide
2) Forward facing seats
3) Generator located under front seats not under bed
4) Eliminate drawers between beds to expand pass through
5) Elevate Twin/King beds
6) Create rectangular large bike garage under beds
7) Expand bathroom forward to include larger shower

This Tiffin Midas addresses everything I mentioned above, but because of the smaller size and also narrow cab of a Transit van, it does not work as well as if the design had been applied to an Axis Class A.

Based on scale taken from picture, hauling my bikes in rear garage may require removing both wheels. That’s a pain, but not a deal breaker if our smaller tandem fits. Any bike garage is better than none.

What I see as a much bigger design flaw is that cab seats are much lower than the rear seat, so even if the cab seats rotated 180 degrees, it would not make a good dining or lounging area as is the case with European Class As and now common USA-built van campers (many Class Bs). Having a common elevation is essential. Transit Class C seem to fail at this.

Lack of dining table at front lounge area is inexcusable. The Winnebago EKKO and many vans deal with this much more effectively; though in case of EKKO requires sitting on thick cushions.

This Tiffin Midas was apparently introduced at 2021 Tampa Super Show as a prototype, and in review videos the front seats were more automotive and did not convert into a single bed.

The prototype had a pedestal table at rear between beds to effectively create a large dinette, with floor only having one step. This made beds look lower, and bike garage headroom even lower still.

Sitting during travel and for dining comfortably needs to be worked out somehow. Sitting on a bed without a backrest for extended periods isn’t much of a solution in my opinion — unless various reviewers are all excluding details that make this work, and that doesn’t seem likely.

Screen shots below from original motorhome at Tampa show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8EDE5503-200E-4ED6-B4F7-374ABC87AB25.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	38640   Click image for larger version

Name:	E3999B5B-8255-4EC7-ADEE-6CE1AA2557ED.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	38641  

Old 07-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #7

THOR #2121
P.S. — A dealer's site had preliminary specs listed. It’s about as long as an Axis 24.1 and appears to be built on longest 178” wheelbase Transit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEFF4D80-CAF0-40F6-8A6F-5732098589E4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	38642  
Old 07-11-2022, 07:16 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I think they've done a great job with such a small space...that's what this is all about. A real generator, a dry bath, 3 way fridge, queen bed and nothing has to be converted to be something else...it all stands on its own function. We'll be downsizing some day to a "weekender" but I want something good for the semi-long haul as well. This coach would fit the bill. I'll always pull a trailer or add a large hitch rack so there's my space for bikes, portable generator(s), extra fuel, grills, etc. Overall I give this a "2 thumbs up". Is this a diesel chassis and does the generator run on the fuel vs. propane? If I could change just one thing, it would be a rear slide out bed, giving a bit more room for a closet or slightly bigger bath inside. Twin beds are a takeaway also.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:32 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
.....cut....
Is this a diesel chassis and does the generator run on the fuel vs. propane? If I could change just one thing, it would be a rear slide out bed, giving a bit more room for a closet or slightly bigger bath inside. Twin beds are a takeaway also.
No, no Diesel. Ford discontinued the 3.2L inline-5 diesel engine in Transit a few years ago. They were about to replace with a 2-liter I-4 diesel but cancelled the introduction. Only Transit engines are 3.5L V6 gasoline with or without turbos. In heavier 11,000-pound GVWR I think the turbo is standard (required????).

Generator is 4kW gasoline Onan per Tiffin specs. It draws gas from 31-gallon Transit fuel tank. Unit also has 2kW inverter which should allow powering many needs without having to run generator.

Slides add much weight to such a light chassis, particularly at 25-feet motorhome length, which reduces cargo carrying capacity too much. Winnebago originally advertised a second EKKO floorplan with slide but cancelled introduction — reportedly due to very low OCCC.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:47 PM   #10

THOR #11130
A Class B in any form is a sacrifice coming from a large C or bigger...but...you have to understand what they are...super compact RV's with off the chart versatility. I'm not ready to go small just yet but I am programing what little brain I have left to accept it. My first custom van was a 1968 Chevy with a 230CI inline 6, 3 on the column, no A/C with a flat floor and raised bed in the back with storage under it...and I loved it...shag carpet and all. The guy that bought it from me in New Orleans in 1980 still has it.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:22 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Yeah, that Midas Class C has a very large bathroom and lots of outside storage compared to vans, particularly the bike garage. Other than that, largest van-based campers seem to provide all the room we need.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:09 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We’ll I’m impressed with it. I wish it had some sort of closet to hang a nice shirt or a jacket though.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:37 AM   #13

THOR #11130
I was referring to it as a B but I guess it's a B+ or a baby C...either way, nice use of space.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We’ll I’m impressed with it. I wish it had some sort of closet to hang a nice shirt or a jacket though.

The Tiffin Midas motorhome RSKDSK reviewed is a little different than the one reviewed earlier by others at Tampa Super Show, which matched the floor plan drawing I found on a dealer’s site showing a shirt-length wardrobe just behind the bathroom wall. That unit also had a couple of additional differences, like bedroom overhead cabinets over the beds running lengthwise (RSKDSK MH are instead across back), and MH also had a small window in rear cap centered between beds.

The other review (link attached below) also shows unit having a dining table in rear, which comes with two pedestals — tall for table and short to convert Twin beds to King. The floor between beds is flat but with one taller step.

That unit also has automotive front-facing seats with shoulder harnesses which I personally prefer. The bench in RSKDSK motorhome review is way too deep for my wife (and probably me too) to get comfortable because of lack of back support.

https://youtu.be/h6A3t-79fUM

Screen shots of differences from video above and floor plan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D789CA01-0D30-483E-B435-98DF17B530CA.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	38659   Click image for larger version

Name:	03F93F4C-9BD8-4796-92EA-3131AE3FA35F.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	38660  

Name:	861A7579-91E0-458F-9E6E-A06085D04DA9.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	38661   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9B91783-93D3-49A0-A2A6-F0F7C739773E.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	38662  

Old 07-12-2022, 11:13 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Cool! I might could get interested in that as a downsize from my 30ft Class A. Are they all AWD? Seems like a feature I’d not need.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:52 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Cool! I might could get interested in that as a downsize from my 30ft Class A. Are they all AWD? Seems like a feature I’d not need.

Dealer specs (attached) suggest AWD and EcoBoost are standard in 2022 Model Year. I don’t see it listed on Tiffin site, so I’ll accept dealer specs for now. Honestly, many Transit-based motorhome include AWD, so it’s not surprising.

I like E-350 better than Transit chassis, so don’t keep up with information to same degree.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1AD5F661-6B1E-422A-8B3E-16603FD50811.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	38667  
Old 07-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #17

THOR #2121
An additional observation worth mentioning in case others missed it is that preliminary specifications (posted previously) show a trailer hitch with only 2,000-pound rating.

This motorhome at over 25-feet in length may require towing a car to get into tight cities, and 2,000-pound limit essentially eliminates all current cars.

The 15,000-pound GCWR versus 11,000-pound GVWR shows the powertrain could easily handle a small car, but apparently the Transit semi-unitized frame construction makes at least a 3,500-pound receiver an issue when rear frame extension is that long.

Perhaps it’s just a typo that will get revised in final edition.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DBD4C412-BF66-4EC5-948C-C5D3F2D23445.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	38671  
Old 07-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #18

THOR #22773
I do not believe it was a typo, the trailer hitch has a small opening and looks like it might be able to handle 2000lbs. I found this odd as well as I could see this chassis supporting at least a 5000lbs hitch.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It’s a huge move in the right direction in my opinion, but as always the Devil is in the details. Overall the basic layout and design has many of the features I wanted in an Axis 24.1 back when we needed/wanted a larger motorhome. Features previously suggested to turn an Axis 24.1 into touring coach:

1) No slide
2) Forward facing seats
3) Generator located under front seats not under bed
4) Eliminate drawers between beds to expand pass through
5) Elevate Twin/King beds
6) Create rectangular large bike garage under beds
7) Expand bathroom forward to include larger shower

This Tiffin Midas addresses everything I mentioned above, but because of the smaller size and also narrow cab of a Transit van, it does not work as well as if the design had been applied to an Axis Class A.

Based on scale taken from picture, hauling my bikes in rear garage may require removing both wheels. That’s a pain, but not a deal breaker if our smaller tandem fits. Any bike garage is better than none.

What I see as a much bigger design flaw is that cab seats are much lower than the rear seat, so even if the cab seats rotated 180 degrees, it would not make a good dining or lounging area as is the case with European Class As and now common USA-built van campers (many Class Bs). Having a common elevation is essential. Transit Class C seem to fail at this.

Lack of dining table at front lounge area is inexcusable. The Winnebago EKKO and many vans deal with this much more effectively; though in case of EKKO requires sitting on thick cushions.

This Tiffin Midas was apparently introduced at 2021 Tampa Super Show as a prototype, and in review videos the front seats were more automotive and did not convert into a single bed.

The prototype had a pedestal table at rear between beds to effectively create a large dinette, with floor only having one step. This made beds look lower, and bike garage headroom even lower still.

Sitting during travel and for dining comfortably needs to be worked out somehow. Sitting on a bed without a backrest for extended periods isn’t much of a solution in my opinion — unless various reviewers are all excluding details that make this work, and that doesn’t seem likely.

Screen shots below from original motorhome at Tampa show.
They DO give you booster cushions for the front seats...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
I do not believe it was a typo, the trailer hitch has a small opening and looks like it might be able to handle 2000lbs. I found this odd as well as I could see this chassis supporting at least a 5000lbs hitch.

Did you happen to notice OCCC on sticker? How much can this unit carry?

Also, was there any table or place to eat inside the motorhome?

And finally, specs show 2,000-Watt inverter with (2) 12-volt batteries. Did you happen to see if flooded, AGM, or lithium?