Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2022, 01:17 PM   #181

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_MT View Post
Mine seemed stuck on off for a while. I held the power for maybe 10 sec(? Seemed like a while) and it came to life.
Thanks. I've tried that a number of times and I also had my wife try it in case it didn't like my touch.

Maybe this week after we get unburied from the blizzard I'll pull it out and test the connections for power, etc. I've been avoiding doing anything that could break something and void the warranty before we have a chance to get to a dealer. THOR is aware of the problem and I'm waiting to hear if they have any ideas.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #182

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #25596
Thor could avoid a LOT of issues just by having good (in some cases ANY) documentation.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #183

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRVR View Post
Finally found regulator for alternator. It's under the passenger seat compartment. I ran the tests from the Balmar Troubleshooting procedure and it failed miserably. It has you run a series of voltage measurements with the vehicle off, vehicle ignition on (but engine off) and engine running. The unit didn't even turn on when i put the ignition (but engine off) so it just gave me the same measurements as with it off. Anyways, the battery voltage was definitely not correct when compared to the MasterVolt and actual reading I took at the battery. Other measurements were all over the place. The battery voltage reading was 2 volts lower when I did the tests with engine running so something is really wrong.

I did happen to find a possible culprit. The wire harness for the regulator that runs to the back of the van was crushed as some idiot tried to fit way too many harnesses through a support clamp, crushing the harness that carries the regulator wires. Just can't believe it.
Attachment 35826

Thor got back to me yesterday and wanted more pictures. Apparently what I sent them wasn't the regulator. Here's the regulator if anyone else is interested. CaliRVR since you were in there testing, does my wiring look like yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220129_145326747.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	35875   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220129_145249113.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	35876  

Name:	PXL_20220129_145229054.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	35877   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220129_145151816.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	35878  

Name:	PXL_20220129_145108055.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	35879  
Old 01-29-2022, 03:33 PM   #184

THOR #25796
Quote:
Thor could avoid a LOT of issues just by having good (in some cases ANY) documentation.
That's for sure. I didn't even get the TMC Owners Packet from the dealer and I have asked for it twice.

Better dealer training and better Quality Control before shipping units would go a long way toward minimizing issues as well.

I noticed there is USB cable under the seat where the regulator is. The Thor Rep told be they can plug the van into a computer with that to run diagnosis.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #185

State: California
THOR #25047
Quote:

I received a letter there is an owners web based support system. Apparently you can create an account using your vin and all the necessary documentation is available. I havenít tried yet. When we reached out for help the tech emailed me a bunch of documents but also said it was available on the user web page.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:49 PM   #186

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #25596
Nice! I'll have to check that out. Thanks
Old 01-29-2022, 04:52 PM   #187

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
I received a letter there is an owners web based support system. Apparently you can create an account using your vin and all the necessary documentation is available. I haven’t tried yet. When we reached out for help the tech emailed me a bunch of documents but also said it was available on the user web page.
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/

I have used this a bit and will say it is pretty good. However, some of the information is generic or spread over different models. Some of the pictures aren't up to date with what equipment is actually in your own coach. In some cases, it actually makes reference to the TMC Owners Packet so I have to assume there are some things in that which aren't covered in the web support system.

I have downloaded some of the web manuals onto my laptop but the entirety of the files would more than fill my phone's storage capacity. There are times I like hard copies especially when I don't have Internet or Cell Coverage which is pretty common where I live and many other rural areas of the US. Sometimes it is easier just to look in a manual.

THOR certainly does make a lot of different RVs, including Airstream which has an excellent reputation for quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Industries
Old 01-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #188

THOR #25853
Alternator out

Hi all!

We recently purchased the sanctuary exactly one month ago. As we were driving back from a trip last weekend we noticed a loud whirring noise when we drive between 0-40 mph. We then got home and noticed that the battery wasnít charging at all. We turned the alternator off and the whirring stopped. Iím so so new to this so I was hoping someone would have any tips or tricks to check the alternator or reset it (if thatís even an option). I really donít even know where to start.
Thank you for all of your help in advance!
Old 01-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #189

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeteemylove View Post
Hi all!

We recently purchased the sanctuary exactly one month ago. As we were driving back from a trip last weekend we noticed a loud whirring noise when we drive between 0-40 mph. We then got home and noticed that the battery wasnít charging at all. We turned the alternator off and the whirring stopped. Iím so so new to this so I was hoping someone would have any tips or tricks to check the alternator or reset it (if thatís even an option). I really donít even know where to start. [emoji20]

Thank you for all of your help in advance!

When you say you turned the Alternator off Iím assuming you mean the engine? Since I donít know of any way to just turn off the alternator. Where was the sound coming from? What indications were there that the battery wasnít charging? Do you have the lithium package or a generator version?
Old 01-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #190

THOR #25853
Quote:
When you say you turned the Alternator off Iím assuming you mean the engine? Since I donít know of any way to just turn off the alternator. Where was the sound coming from? What indications were there that the battery wasnít charging? Do you have the lithium package or a generator version?
We turned it off on the mastervolt screen above the house battery on/off switch. The sound seems to be coming from under the front of the cab. We drove three hours home and the inverter to the alternator was switch on and by the time we had gotten home we only had 61% battery left. We have the lithium package.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:36 PM   #191

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
We turned it off on the mastervolt screen above the house battery on/off switch. The sound seems to be coming from under the front of the cab. We drove three hours home and the inverter to the alternator was switch on and by the time we had gotten home we only had 61% battery left. We have the lithium package.

In my experience, the master volt turns off the inverter. The alternator is on when the engine is on. We had a noise from ours, when Thor installed the extra alternator for the coach battery they didnít put the fan shroud back in place correctly. Although it did not affect the charging of our battery, just noisy at any speed. The alternator should charge your battery without the inverter on. Ours does. What was your battery percentage when you started? It does seem like a 3 hour drive should charge it fully. But if it was really low maybe not? Last time I took notice ours went from 42 % to 78 % in an hour.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:53 PM   #192

THOR #25853
Quote:
In my experience, the master volt turns off the inverter. The alternator is on when the engine is on. We had a noise from ours, when Thor installed the extra alternator for the coach battery they didnít put the fan shroud back in place correctly. Although it did not affect the charging of our battery, just noisy at any speed. The alternator should charge your battery without the inverter on. Ours does. What was your battery percentage when you started? It does seem like a 3 hour drive should charge it fully. But if it was really low maybe not? Last time I took notice ours went from 42 % to 78 % in an hour.
That’s the weird part, we were on a three day trip and the first two days, the battery was fully charged after driving. The third day when we started to drive home the loud whirring started and when we got home after driving 4 hours the battery was at 61% when the morning before it was at 100%. So I’m not too sure when it stopped working. Maybe it’s the inverter that’s not working then? From what it sounds like? When we put the alternator on “standby” mode, the whirring stopped.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:19 PM   #193

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Thatís the weird part, we were on a three day trip and the first two days, the battery was fully charged after driving. The third day when we started to drive home the loud whirring started and when we got home after driving 4 hours the battery was at 61% when the morning before it was at 100%. So Iím not too sure when it stopped working. Maybe itís the inverter thatís not working then? From what it sounds like? When we put the alternator on ďstandbyĒ mode, the whirring stopped.

I donít think the alternator can be controlled. The inverter can be on the Master Volt 2nd screen. Ours has an inverter on/off option. Iíll include a picture of it. On our master volt the lock standby and off only control the master volt display. Our standby doesnít affect the inverter on/off. A good test to see if your alternator is charging is to turn off the inverter and turn on your engine, within a few minutes the battery % should increase on the 1st master volt display. At least thatís how ours work. The inverter only needs to be on for the microwave, a/c or any 110 needs.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8539.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	35900
Old 01-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #194

THOR #25853
Quote:
I donít think the alternator can be controlled. The inverter can be on the Master Volt 2nd screen. Ours has an inverter on/off option. Iíll include a picture of it. On our master volt the lock standby and off only control the master volt display. Our standby doesnít affect the inverter on/off. A good test to see if your alternator is charging is to turn off the inverter and turn on your engine, within a few minutes the battery % should increase on the 1st master volt display. At least thatís how ours work. The inverter only needs to be on for the microwave, a/c or any 110 needs.Attachment 35900
Okay then it’s definitely the inverter. When we have it switch on, the loud whirring noise happens and it does not charge. Whether we’re parked or driving. When we switched it off the noise stopped. we did try to turn it off and see if it would charge, the way you mentioned above, and it didn’t charge.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:39 PM   #195

THOR #25796
Quote:
Okay then itís definitely the inverter. When we have it switch on, the loud whirring noise happens and it does not charge. Whether weíre parked or driving. When we switched it off the noise stopped. we did try to turn it off and see if it would charge, the way you mentioned above, and it didnít charge.
If the noise was from the alternator it would definitely be constant whenever the engine is running. You would also hear it louder outside the vehicle with the hood open.

Since you've eliminated the alternator since you can turn off the sound by turning off the inverter than we know that is the source.

Inverters have 1 or more cooling fans which is typically the noise they make when running. I suspect the fan is the noise you hear, possibly it is failing. More likely if you aren't getting power off the inverter, the inverter could be failing and overheating and the fan might be working overtime to keep it cool.

What year is your van and how long have you owned it?
Old 01-29-2022, 11:42 PM   #196

THOR #25853
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
If the noise was from the alternator it would definitely be constant whenever the engine is running. You would also hear it louder outside the vehicle with the hood open.

Since you've eliminated the alternator since you can turn off the sound by turning off the inverter than we know that is the source.

Inverters have 1 or more cooling fans which is typically the noise they make when running. I suspect the fan is the noise you hear, possibly it is failing. More likely if you aren't getting power off the inverter, the inverter could be failing and overheating and the fan might be working overtime to keep it cool.

What year is your van and how long have you owned it?
We literally picked it up four weeks ago from la Mesa rv on 1/8/2022. It’s the 2022 on the 2020 chassis.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:53 PM   #197

THOR #25796
Quote:
We literally picked it up four weeks ago from la Mesa rv on 1/8/2022. It’s the 2022 on the 2020 chassis.

I think that is only 3 weeks now, but you're 1 week longer than our level of ownership, we got ours on the 15th and have had problems starting on the day after delivery.

Somethings up if so many people are having problems early on in ownership. Most seem to be electrical related issues.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:56 PM   #198

THOR #25853
Ugh okay well I guess we’ll try to get ahold of Thor on Monday and see if they can walk us through anything to be done to test the possible fan issue/inverter issue. I will update here just in case someone else has the same issue. Thank you for all you’re help!
Old 01-30-2022, 12:19 AM   #199

THOR #25796
Quote:
Ugh okay well I guess we’ll try to get ahold of Thor on Monday and see if they can walk us through anything to be done to test the possible fan issue/inverter issue. I will update here just in case someone else has the same issue. Thank you for all you’re help!
THOR does monitor this forum so maybe they will reach out to you like they did to me. You'll have better luck with that if they do although my issues are still pending. I do have some more confidence since I now have the same contact person who has reached out to me multiple times.

You might try MESA. My dealer in NJ hasn't been much help, but you never know until you call your own. Mine is over 300 miles away, maybe yours is closer. I figured I could at least stop there twice a year on my way from here in NH heading South and West or on the way back home for some level of service.

Dealers are first about making a sale, second about doing service since it is a big profit center, and last about responding to calls/emails/texts if you have an issue. My dealer didn't even know it had low range during the PDI and told me the low range button was hill control. I almost walked away from the deal about an hour in and now I wish I had.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:48 AM   #200

THOR #25853
I’ll definitely try La Mesa. It was very disheartening when we were there purchasing. We were literally told “you’ve been watching all of the YouTube videos and you still want to buy one?” Which made us very uncomfortable. and here we are, four weeks later and so many other minor issues have come up but this one is the biggest.