Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2022, 04:39 AM   #201

State: California
THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeteemylove View Post
Okay then it’s definitely the inverter. When we have it switch on, the loud whirring noise happens and it does not charge. Whether we’re parked or driving. When we switched it off the noise stopped. [emoji20] we did try to turn it off and see if it would charge, the way you mentioned above, and it didn’t charge.

The inverter is not involved with charging the battery. Only the alternator. So maybe 2 separate issues?

Old 01-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #202

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #25853
shoot. Okay. Well then maybe it is two separate issues. I feel like we can’t catch a break. I’ll update when I can, thank you!
Old 01-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #203

THOR #25047
Quote:
shoot. Okay. Well then maybe it is two separate issues. I feel like we can’t catch a break. I’ll update when I can, thank you!

Definitely would appreciate an update on your solution. This is still new for us, ours is 2022 with a 2020 chassis. So any words of wisdom passed down can be very helpful.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #204

THOR #25853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
Definitely would appreciate an update on your solution. This is still new for us, ours is 2022 with a 2020 chassis. So any words of wisdom passed down can be very helpful.
I think we may have figured it out. We popped the hood and there’s a disconnect on a wire that’s clearly supposed to be connected. I’m not sure how to post a photo on here…? But there’s a black wire with red tape around the end of it that isn’t connected. We aren’t sure if there needs to be a washer in between or what size bolt. If someone can tell me how to post a photo I can definitely upload it! I’m sorry, I’m so new to this forum stuff that I feel like I’m way out of my league.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:40 PM   #205

THOR #25853
I think I got the photo attached?

Quote:
I think we may have figured it out. We popped the hood and there’s a disconnect on a wire that’s clearly supposed to be connected. I’m not sure how to post a photo on here…? But there’s a black wire with red tape around the end of it that isn’t connected. We aren’t sure if there needs to be a washer in between or what size bolt. If someone can tell me how to post a photo I can definitely upload it! I’m sorry, I’m so new to this forum stuff that I feel like I’m way out of my league.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6EE2CC1-2278-45D1-B68D-97D9FED36765.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	35920  
Old 01-30-2022, 07:52 PM   #206

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:

Where in the engine compartment is this? I couldn’t locate any thing that looks the same in ours? Ii could share a picture of ours if I could figure out where this is located
Old 01-30-2022, 08:52 PM   #207

THOR #25853
I’m sorry I misunderstood my husband. It’s underneath the vehicle, on the passenger side. Front end.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #208

THOR #25047
Quote:
I’m sorry I misunderstood my husband. It’s underneath the vehicle, on the passenger side. Front end.

Name:	IMG_8579.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	35921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8580.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	35922Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8581.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	35923Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8583.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	35924

What ours looks like
Old 01-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #209

THOR #25853
Quote:
Perfect! Do you know what size bolt that is by any chance? We’re gonna run to Home Depot
Old 01-30-2022, 09:38 PM   #210

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Perfect! Do you know what size bolt that is by any chance? We’re gonna run to Home Depot

13mm. I’m really not that great at this stuff but I took my tool set and that one fits perfect
Old 01-30-2022, 09:51 PM   #211

State: Alabama
THOR #25796
Quote:
SERIOUSLY, they didn't connect the freaking terminal to the alternator??? How can crap like that get out the factory door?
Old 01-30-2022, 09:55 PM   #212

THOR #25796
Quote:
The inverter is not involved with charging the battery. Only the alternator. So maybe 2 separate issues?
I was told by THOR that the battery was charged by the inverter, not directly by the alternator. Same with Shore Power, it has to go through the Inverter first to charge the battery.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 PM   #213

THOR #25796
Quote:
Make sure you contact THOR and bring this to their attention.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #214

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
I was told by THOR that the battery was charged by the inverter, not directly by the alternator. Same with Shore Power, it has to go through the Inverter first to charge the battery.

I know for a fact that our inverter is always off as is our master volt control panel and the alternator charges the coach battery no problem. Also have plugged into shore power with inverter off and master volt control panel off and no problems. The inverter is not needed on shore power, it’s only needed to supply 110 power to the rig when only on the battery. I really think there is a misunderstanding on how this setup works. We were told things during our walk thru that just isn’t true. One reason I appreciate this forum, sharing lessons learned. At the end of the day, ours is working great and my husband and I couldn’t be happier. Yes there are still a few cosmetic issues but Thor and La Mesa RV in San Diego have been great. Hang in there!
Old 01-31-2022, 07:11 AM   #215

THOR #25868
Angry Tons of Issues….. list keeps growing

THOR Sanctuary 19P ISSUES

- [ ] Metal shavings have caused rust on roof. I inspected the roof and realized who ever drilled the holes never cleaned the metal shavings. Metal shaving and water will cause rust l, that’s just common sense.
- [ ] Metal shavings have caused rust on bottom of windshield hood section. I found some of the metal shavings when trying to remove all the rust.
- [ ] Alternator nut fell off and disconnected, causing it to not charge the battery. I’m going to reconnect this once I find the right size nut.
- [ ] Passenger side rear view mirror doesn’t adjust, appears to be stuck and facing downward.
- [ ] Passenger side door unlock button, lock button and heated seat button do not work.
- [ ] Passenger side door foam seal has started peeling off.
- [ ] The kitchen table is mounted next the table mount pole. The table mount pole bracket rubbed on the table causing a piece to chip off.
- [ ] Driver side step has rust starting on the mounting bracket points.
- [ ] The kitchen first drawer doesn’t close all the way, I think the hoses in back are getting in the way.
- [ ] The interior rear light has popped out, seen this on other Thor Sanctuary/Tranquility models.
- [ ] The ceiling is sagging about an inch at the rear of the van. This is partially blocking the popped out light.
- [ ] The passenger side cabinet has a mounting screw that caused the wood to crack. This I can see causing the entire cabinet to fail with time.
- [ ] The vinyl from rear cabinet has wrinkled and lifted.
- [ ] The wood trim from rear cabinets has started peeling off.
- [ ] The cabinet where the microwave is located has wood trim cracked.
- [ ] There are several staples I have noticed are exposed and were covered with the “magic putty”
- [ ] The light bar is poor quality and the cover is poor quality. I plan on upgrading these ASAP. I removed the light bar cover since it was falling apart.
- [ ] We’ve noticed the bathroom glass cabinet doors open when on a bumpy road. Maybe for future models they will use a different cabinet closure.

The main concern is the quality control coming out of the factory. For the cost of these we should be getting a better quality product. A lot of these issues should have been caught at the factory. I am contacting Thor tomorrow to discuss all the issues I found and will post what response I get. I’m hoping they will be will to fix or replace all of my issues. I’ve had it for 4 weeks and slowly discovering more issues.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:02 PM   #216

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALCALA1 View Post
THOR Sanctuary 19P ISSUES

- [ ] Metal shavings have caused rust on roof. I inspected the roof and realized who ever drilled the holes never cleaned the metal shavings. Metal shaving and water will cause rust l, that’s just common sense.

- [ ] Metal shavings have caused rust on bottom of windshield hood section. I found some of the metal shavings when trying to remove all the rust.

- [ ] Alternator nut fell off and disconnected, causing it to not charge the battery. I’m going to reconnect this once I find the right size nut.

- [ ] Passenger side rear view mirror doesn’t adjust, appears to be stuck and facing downward.

- [ ] Passenger side door unlock button, lock button and heated seat button do not work.

- [ ] Passenger side door foam seal has started peeling off.

- [ ] The kitchen table is mounted next the table mount pole. The table mount pole bracket rubbed on the table causing a piece to chip off.

- [ ] Driver side step has rust starting on the mounting bracket points.

- [ ] The kitchen first drawer doesn’t close all the way, I think the hoses in back are getting in the way.

- [ ] The interior rear light has popped out, seen this on other Thor Sanctuary/Tranquility models.

- [ ] The ceiling is sagging about an inch at the rear of the van. This is partially blocking the popped out light.

- [ ] The passenger side cabinet has a mounting screw that caused the wood to crack. This I can see causing the entire cabinet to fail with time.

- [ ] The vinyl from rear cabinet has wrinkled and lifted.

- [ ] The wood trim from rear cabinets has started peeling off.

- [ ] The cabinet where the microwave is located has wood trim cracked.

- [ ] There are several staples I have noticed are exposed and were covered with the “magic putty”

- [ ] The light bar is poor quality and the cover is poor quality. I plan on upgrading these ASAP. I removed the light bar cover since it was falling apart.

- [ ] We’ve noticed the bathroom glass cabinet doors open when on a bumpy road. Maybe for future models they will use a different cabinet closure.

The main concern is the quality control coming out of the factory. For the cost of these we should be getting a better quality product. A lot of these issues should have been caught at the factory. I am contacting Thor tomorrow to discuss all the issues I found and will post what response I get. I’m hoping they will be will to fix or replace all of my issues. I’ve had it for 4 weeks and slowly discovering more issues.

With respect, most of those are very minor issues and easily are corrected. The rust should clean right up with some wax or rubbing compound, the mirror almost certainly is fine. There is a recessed Allen head set screw that will allow the entire head to be repositioned. The trim just needs to be glued back in place, etc. all RVs are pretty much like that. And just because something was expensive doesn’t mean it’s high end. Sure we “shouldn’t have to” fix things on a new product be it’s just the way it is. And I dare say that even after you get all of these items repaired there will be others. I hope you can get comfortable with the RV lifestyle. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:46 PM   #217

THOR #25796
Electrical Woes Continue

That is a lengthy list whether some consider most of it to be minor or not. My own list keeps growing, so I'm pretty sympathetic to anyone who is having so many issues within a month of taking delivery.

My house battery is low again despite being driven daily. When checking the solar charge controller manual I noticed the need to have the right battery type selected for optimum charge and to avoid possible battery damage. I found mine was set for LTO and not LifePO4. I'm not sure if that is affecting my charging or not, but I now have it properly set. Another QC item missed by the factory and dealer.

I crawled under the front and examined the connection to the second alternator. Although my alternator wire is connected, the nut is not turned down all the way and the blade at the end of the alternator wire is not snugged down like it should be. I didn't notice any signs of arcing, but that would be a concern and might lead to damaging the alternator or battery. Another missed QC item by the factory.

I will be passing this info along to the THOR Rep assigned to my account.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:57 PM   #218

THOR #25796
Here are pictures of my secondary alternator's connection before and after I fixed it. I tested the voltage reading before I fixed it and it was bouncing back and forth from low single digits to 12V at 2K rpm. After I fixed it I have a steady charge of 12V at idle.

The alternator is visible from below. It is on the lower right side (passenger side) of the engine toward the front.

Unfortunately, it is still showing very low voltage on the charge controller with the engine on and whether idling or driving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220131_175443099.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	35943   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220131_180455351.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	35944  

Name:	PXL_20220131_180511510.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	35945  
Old 01-31-2022, 10:32 PM   #219

THOR #25796
Spare Tire

I have my new tire mounted up on my new steel wheel. BFG KO2 in LT245/75R16, only $187 with discounts and free shipping from Discount Tire Direct. OEM style steel wheel from Carid on eBay for only $73 with free shipping. I had it mounted and balanced locally.

The steel wheels use an M14 X 1.5 X 33mm ball seat lug bolt. A ball seat lug has more of a U shape under the bolt head. These are typically too short to use with most aftermarket wheels. Most aftermarket wheels also use a cone seat lug bolt which is more of a V shape under the bolt head.

I decided to test fit my spare to make sure it fits OK. I started with the front passenger side. I needed a 3 foot section of pipe on my breaker bar to loosen the lugs. My cordless impact wrench would not loosen them.

I was quite surprised and very pleased to find that my aluminum wheels are held on by ball seat lugs of the correct length. The bolt hole on these wheels is deeply recessed which allows for the shorter bolt and they are definitely ball seat. If you have these same style aluminum wheels you may also be able to use the same lugs if you decide to go with a spare on a steelie.

I checked all my other wheels and my impact wrench was able to loosen them all. I torqued them back to specs and can now hit the road knowing I have a proper fitting spare and properly torqued wheels. I'll be rechecking the torque farther down the road.

I'm not only happy about that but I've been rewarded for all my brand bashing by saving $25 for not having to order an additional set of 6 ball seat lugs in the right length to have along if I need to change out a flat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220131_200442579.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	35946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	35948  

Old 01-31-2022, 11:13 PM   #220

Model: Tranquility 19L
State: Arizona
THOR #25776
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
Does anybody know what this is? I found it on the floor and I don't see an opening anywhere. It has velcro on the back so it is supposed to stick on something somewhere.

If no one knows I'll just add it to my collection that started with the chrome tabs falling off the mirrored doors in the bathroom. Who wants chrome on an expedition van anyway?
These are access covers for the rear tail lights. You should have 2 on each side. Open the back doors and look immediately on the inside to the right and left. They don’t seem to stick very well with the velcro. I noticed these during my 19L inspection and wasn’t impressed with how easy they fell off. A minor correction with some extra strength Velcro will be one of the first things I do when pick up my rig next week.