Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #301

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #25796
Thanks. If you run the a/c for a few minutes that will draw it down enough to make it charge higher.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:01 PM   #302

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #22773
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw5815 View Post
I upgraded the headlights and fog lights on our Thor Tranquility to LED and am extremely pleased with the results. It's a dramatic improvement over the factory halogen. Below are the parts I used - all ordered through Amazon (you can probably save a few bucks by going through AliExpress but I'm too impatient).
The total of all 3 sets is $123.38 before tax as of this writing.

I really wanted to get all 3 sets from the same manufacturer to insure that the color matched, but I was unable to find anyone that offered both the H7 and H15 so I had to mix and match. However, the colors all match great. I get no errors. All of these have the necessary hardware to avoid flicker or errors.

I tried two other H7/lowbeam options that are fanless but I like the brightness of the ones linked above (16k lumens total).

The H7/lowbeams are easy to install. You might need pliers to pull out the existing bulbs. Make sure that you install the LED bulbs vertical (the led dots should be on the sides -- at 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock). I made the mistake of installing them horizontally based on a YouTube video and the results were terrible - lots of weird flares, etc.. After getting them installed correctly, I drove around our neighborhood a bit to make sure nobody flashed their lights at me. I passed 5 cars and no flashes, so I'm confident that they aren't too bright.

The H15/highbeams are even easier to install. Twist out old ones and twist in new ones.

The H11/fog lights were a little harder to install -- The driver's side bulb is easily accessible from under the van. Simple remove and replace. However, the passenger side is not accessible from underneath/behind, so you have to remove the front cover and a screw (T20 screwdriver). Be careful that you don't break a tab when carefully prying the cover off. There are some good videos on YouTube to assist.
I received and installed the low beams today ... unfortunately one headlight did not work. I switched the two LED to verify it was not the van .. same light did not work on the other side. I am ordering a new set.
I will say that it looked really nice on one side.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #303

THOR #22773
I received the high beams today and installed them without issue. Here is a pic but I'll create another post with a video once I get the replacement low beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED high Beam .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	37157  
Old 04-27-2022, 11:33 PM   #304

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
Thanks. If you run the a/c for a few minutes that will draw it down enough to make it charge higher.
Not sure if I have the same Master Volt monitor as you , I took some photos today with everything off & then turned on & shore power attached .As soon as they transfer to this Laptop I will see if I can post them .

I'm not sure what your readings represent compared to mine , but I can tell ya , as soon as I turned on the ( House )Breaker for the shore power , my house battery Current , on the Master Volt monitor ,went from -.74 amps to almost 28 amps & slowly dropped to around 7.64 amps .

My LI Battery was at 100% , I can run the A/C as said to pull some % down , & see how long it takes to charge .
Old 04-27-2022, 11:45 PM   #305

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
Not sure if I have the same Master Volt monitor as you , I took some photos today with everything off & then turned on & shore power attached .As soon as they transfer to this Laptop I will see if I can post them .

I'm not sure what your readings represent compared to mine , but I can tell ya , as soon as I turned on the ( House )Breaker for the shore power , my house battery Current , on the Master Volt monitor ,went from -.74 amps to almost 28 amps & slowly dropped to around 7.64 amps .

My LI Battery was at 100% , I can run the A/C as said to pull some % down , & see how long it takes to charge .
Here's a picture of my MasterVolt from a couple weeks ago while on shore power.

I recall that my amperage was very high in the past. As you can see here it is very low.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220417_141454724.MP.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	37158  
Old 04-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #306

THOR #26179
There are probably different set ups for graphics , mine is set up a little different , but this is what I have .Solar was at 4.1 AH.
This is with shore power on & Inverter ,DC master switch on .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MV with shore power on.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	37166   Click image for larger version

Name:	MV shore power on 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	37167  

Old 04-28-2022, 05:12 PM   #307

THOR #26179
Here is with shore power off , Inverter , DC master switch on & with Inverter & DC master Switch off .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MV all system son ,no shore power.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	37168   Click image for larger version

Name:	master volt systems off .jpg
Views:	30
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	37169  

Name:	MV Inverter switch status .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	37170  
Old 04-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #308

THOR #26179
Is your input limit AC power at 30 Amp's ?
Old 04-28-2022, 10:15 PM   #309

THOR #25796
Quote:
Is your input limit AC power at 30 Amp's ?
You just solved my problem - thank you so much!!!

My screen is configured differently than yours and the Input Limit is hidden away in a different part of the menu. When I went to the area that shows the Input Limit I saw that it was set at zero (0). I changed that to 30 A and voila! my amperage input jumped up into the 20's!

Simple fix to a vexing problem. Not sure how it got changed to that value but my CombiMaster unit has had off and on issues. At one point, the screen wouldn't turn on for days.

Thanks again! Happy travels!

PS: If you haven't gotten the wiring schematic PM me your email address and I'll forward it by email since I can't seem to attach it to a PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:10 PM   #310

Model: tranquility 19P
THOR #26546
very new asking for basic help in what appliances run with and without shore power

thanks in advance.

2022 Thor Tranquility 19P diesel, lithium batteries not generator.

Can I get a checklist from someone that identifies what appliances require:
A) shore power
B) under power by engine
C) none of the above
D) either A or B.

For example, I wanted to run my rooftop AC while in my driveway without shore power. (not yet installed to my home.) The roof top AC would not run under engine power or off. Is that what is supposed to happen? Or do I have a problem?

What about the refrigerator? The microwave? The water heater? The water pump?

I did find that the only way the awning will extend is if the vehicle is in park, with the parking brake engaged.

Also, if you don't mind one more, that folding parking brake requires a tremendous about of pull force to go up enough to allow to be disengaged.
Will that soften up with use or do I have a problem there.

Thank so much for helping a newbie!
Old 04-29-2022, 11:35 PM   #311

State: California
THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjbrooks2017@gmail.com View Post
thanks in advance.

2022 Thor Tranquility 19P diesel, lithium batteries not generator.

Can I get a checklist from someone that identifies what appliances require:
A) shore power
B) under power by engine
C) none of the above
D) either A or B.

For example, I wanted to run my rooftop AC while in my driveway without shore power. (not yet installed to my home.) The roof top AC would not run under engine power or off. Is that what is supposed to happen? Or do I have a problem?

What about the refrigerator? The microwave? The water heater? The water pump?

I did find that the only way the awning will extend is if the vehicle is in park, with the parking brake engaged.

Also, if you don't mind one more, that folding parking brake requires a tremendous about of pull force to go up enough to allow to be disengaged.
Will that soften up with use or do I have a problem there.

Thank so much for helping a newbie!

A/C and microwave should work on shore power or lithium battery. Check to make sure your inverter is on and that the breaker is ok.

Refrigerator, water heater and water pump are 12 volt, works on the Lithium battery.

Our parking break was harder to pull up when we first got it. It is easier now.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:03 AM   #312

THOR #26179
You should have a second Alternator on the Engine is to charge the House Batteries ( Lithium ) with the Engine running or driving, not sure it would keep up with the roof mounted A/C , but you should be able to recharge the LI battery pak .If no shore power available.

Of course the STD Alternator charges the Engine Starting Battery & all Engine related 12 Volt systems.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:19 PM   #313

THOR #25796
The secondary engine alternator is sufficient to run the A/C.

You don't need a special outlet for shore power, just get the short cord with the little adapter plug that goes into a regular outlet. That drops the input to 15 amps.

I was told the alternator won't recharge the lithium battery once it drops below 20%. That was the case with mine when I first got it, but now it will charge below 20%.

If you are in a sunny climate, the solar will eventually get the charge above 20% as long as everything is off in the coach including the inverter. If you leave the inverter on when you're not using any 110v appliances (TV, microwave & A/C) it will continue to consume power and drain the battery.

If your battery is above 20% and won't charge from the alternator, check the cable attachment at the alternator. One other user in this thread said there's wasn't connected at all and mine was loose. Neither of us were getting a charge. If you review all the posts in this thread you will find them with pictures.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #314

State: California
THOR #25047
Quote:
The secondary engine alternator is sufficient to run the A/C.

You don't need a special outlet for shore power, just get the short cord with the little adapter plug that goes into a regular outlet. That drops the input to 15 amps.

I was told the alternator won't recharge the lithium battery once it drops below 20%. That was the case with mine when I first got it, but now it will charge below 20%.

If you are in a sunny climate, the solar will eventually get the charge above 20% as long as everything is off in the coach including the inverter. If you leave the inverter on when you're not using any 110v appliances (TV, microwave & A/C) it will continue to consume power and drain the battery.

If your battery is above 20% and won't charge from the alternator, check the cable attachment at the alternator. One other user in this thread said there's wasn't connected at all and mine was loose. Neither of us were getting a charge. If you review all the posts in this thread you will find them with pictures.

I donít believe shore power to a regular house outlet (15 amps) is sufficient to run A/C, micro or t.v. Correct? It will trickle charge the lithium battery.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:09 PM   #315

THOR #26179
A 15 amp circuit will run the A/C , just like a window unit plugged into a house . The problem with the A/C unit & running the Microwave is "Inrush Current " on the A/C Compressor start up, if the Microwave was on , it would probably trip the House Breaker on A/C Compressor start up , but be OK after the Compressor is running , all depends on Amp Draw on the Microwave . Easy to shut off the A/c while using the Microwave & when food is cooked or reheated , restart the A/C system .

Have to read more about the Inverter , but believe it will charge more than just a trickle if needed when shore power fed . My amp input went to about 28 amps when first switched on , then slowly dropped to under 7 amps & probably would have gone lower if I watched it longer , probably down to a trickle , because my House LI Batteries were at 100%.

Also have to remember that the auto switch gear for shore power will switch the RV's House AC to shore power , leaving the LI Battery pak to just charge& run 12 Volt power .
Old 04-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #316

THOR #25796
Quote:
A 15 amp circuit will run the A/C , just like a window unit plugged into a house . The problem with the A/C unit & running the Microwave is "Inrush Current " on the A/C Compressor start up, if the Microwave was on , it would probably trip the House Breaker on A/C Compressor start up , but be OK after the Compressor is running , all depends on Amp Draw on the Microwave . Easy to shut off the A/c while using the Microwave & when food is cooked or reheated , restart the A/C system .

Have to read more about the Inverter , but believe it will charge more than just a trickle if needed when shore power fed . My amp input went to about 28 amps when first switched on , then slowly dropped to under 7 amps & probably would have gone lower if I watched it longer , probably down to a trickle , because my House LI Batteries were at 100%.

Also have to remember that the auto switch gear for shore power will switch the RV's House AC to shore power , leaving the LI Battery pak to just charge& run 12 Volt power .
I haven't been in an added load situation like you describe since I haven't used the a/c on shore power, only off the lithium. I haven't had any breaker trips while on lithium with multiple circuits running on and off. I think that it would be less likely while on shore power, but I could be wrong and won't say it is impossible under either power source.

The amount of solar charge is related to sunshine. You have plenty where you are. I got plenty of charge in FL and most days in NC but here in NH there are more clouds than sun this time of year and the solar panel output becomes a trickle. The inverter/charger should put out enough to recharge the battery within a very few hours while on shore power as will the alternator. A depleted lithium battery without any loads won't recharge in a day here on the sunniest day and I suspect that is true in your state and the sunny western states.

In the beginning, Thor was putting 2 lithium batteries in these. At $6K a pop, I certainly wouldn't opt for adding another and maybe that's why Thor stopped that configuration.

With twice the battery storage and 400-500 watts of panel output we'd really have something. Its kind of tough to add much more solar on the roof with the way its configured. There's room on the hood for a flex panel and above the windshield, but you'd be lucky to have another 100 w. You could have portable panels to plug in but where do you store them?

I think your idea from awhile back of carrying a small gen would work. Put it under the floor of the van where the lithium battery is and move the battery inside. There's wasted space under the folding bed, on either side of it and under the jack seats. Take a look at how the units from the factory that don't have the lithium option mount the generator and the big AGM's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220430_215528210.MP.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	37233  
Old 05-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #317

THOR #26179
I have the 400AH LI system in my RV & I just emailed you a test I did yesterday .

Just for the info here on this thread , here is what I got on a short test here in Florida, Solar was at 19.8 WH & this was at 1800 hrs.( 6 Pm) .

"Just for your information , I ran my A/C on LI Batteries yesterday for an Hour , just to see what Battery loss in that hour , outside temp. was around 85 deg. inside the RV it was 115 deg. this was late in the day ( 1800 hrs ) & the Sun was out all day , A/C did a pretty good job of bringing temp. down in a timely period , with in 30 min. it was down to 84 deg. , I did have the front windshield cover on, & the Shades down on the two back windows , I installed the cover on the Sliding door , because of the Sun being on that side because I back the RV in , nothing on the back Door windows or the Driver & passenger door windows .I have noticed that only a few of the Velcro patches line up correctly , most are no where near where the corresponding hook patches are screwed into the panels & that goes for the Back door ones too .

I had 19.8 AH from Solar at the time , so not sure how that affected LIbattery usage , but I would say between 4-5 hours of full on A/C use before Batteries would get to the 20% , which they say is as low as you want to go before charging . Usage time left on Mastervolt read 8.5 hours , which I wouldn't bet my life on , here in Florida the Compressor would probably never cycle off in the heat here . The LI Battery Pak went to 83% in an hour & thats how I got the 4-5 hour for full on A/C in that heat .Of course in different areas this may be different & you may get more run time or less without the Solar ,I would start the Engine to charge the system before it got to the 20% or if shore power available , use it & not the Batteries ."
Old 05-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #318

THOR #25796
I just emailed you back.

Is there anyone out there with a 19P that has the generator instead of the Lithium Package? I'm curious as to what you have for batteries and where they are located? Is there an Inverter as well?
Old 05-02-2022, 12:53 AM   #319

THOR #26179
Just for fun I let my LI Battery pak get down to 80% & let the Solar panel only charge it all day ,first look it started at 1.6 ah. when I hooked up shore power the Solar was charging at 32.1 ah. & all day only charged to 86 % , so 6 % charge from the Solar Panel , all day .

Shore power had it at 96% in a 1/2 hour . 10% charge in 30 min.. I'm impressed with the 120 volt charging & I didn't expect much from the Solar Panel , but it did charge the LI Battery pak .

Might be wise to carry one of those small Honda Generators if you're out in the boonies for a long stay or just for a spare power source to keep the A/C running all day .
Old 05-02-2022, 02:02 AM   #320

THOR #22773
Quote:
I just emailed you back.

Is there anyone out there with a 19P that has the generator instead of the Lithium Package? I'm curious as to what you have for batteries and where they are located? Is there an Inverter as well?
I have 2 AGM batteries just under the sliding door and a 1000 watt inverter, I'll post a pic shortly