Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 11:18 PM   #401
KLG

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #27028
Inverter question

Hello, I have a simple newbie question. I have a 2022 Sanctuary with lithium battery. It gets very hot where I have to store the van and I'm wondering if I should still turn the inverter off when parked? I hear a fan running near the battery when the inverter is on and I assume that is for cooling but when the inverter is off I don't hear the fan. Will the batteries get overheated? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:27 PM   #402

State: California
THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
Hello, I have a simple newbie question. I have a 2022 Sanctuary with lithium battery. It gets very hot where I have to store the van and I'm wondering if I should still turn the inverter off when parked? I hear a fan running near the battery when the inverter is on and I assume that is for cooling but when the inverter is off I don't hear the fan. Will the batteries get overheated? Thanks.

If you store the van the inverter should be off and the main power switch should be off. Unless youíre on a trickle charge The inverter on and the main power on will drain the battery eventually. The solar cant keep up, the inverter is a major drain. We leave our inverter off all the time unless we want to use the microwave. We donít use air or tv, they need the inverter as well. We were told by La
Mesa RV on walkthrough to leave both on but our battery could not keep up. We live in East county San Diego, plenty of sun most of the year. But not enough to leave The inverter on in our driveway. After calling a Thor rep, he said to turn both off.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:40 PM   #403
KLG

THOR #27028
Thank you! I'm not so much worried about losing charge as I am overheating. I live in Salt Lake City and it often gets over 100 degrees. Will lithium batteries be damaged if sitting for long periods in hot tempratures? I've looked all over but can't find any information
Old 06-29-2022, 11:55 PM   #404

THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Thank you! I'm not so much worried about losing charge as I am overheating. I live in Salt Lake City and it often gets over 100 degrees. Will lithium batteries be damaged if sitting for long periods in hot tempratures? I've looked all over but can't find any information

I have also have not read anything about the batteries in 100 + temps. Iím not an expert. We got our Tranquility last Sept. We live in East county San Diego and have our share of temperatures right around 100. We have not had a problem.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:28 AM   #405

State: Alabama
THOR #25796
I keep mine plugged in 24/7 when parked in the driveway. I have the Inverter on only to keep the battery charged and also power to the fridge since I discovered gets very nasty inside if left closed without power. It's not much of a current draw from my house. I think if you can keep power coming into the van while stored you are better off than not.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:30 AM   #406

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
If you are talking about the Exhaust fan with electrically operated Hatch , I found mine was making wind noise & it has a manual Knob for the opening device , I hand turn it to make sure its closed all the way & check it every so often make sure its tight . Also after operating the Exhaust Fan .

I think the Manual has spec's on the max input for the add on Solar , have to look .

Ditto on manually closing it.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:33 AM   #407

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
I keep mine plugged in 24/7 when parked in the driveway. I have the Inverter on only to keep the battery charged and also power to the fridge since I discovered gets very nasty inside if left closed without power. It's not much of a current draw from my house. I think if you can keep power coming into the van while stored you are better off than not.

We just prop the refrigerator and freezer door open, it doesnít get nasty. This a Has been true with Rv refrigerators forever. The solar keeps us charged with main power off and inverter off. But we are in the land of lots of sun.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:52 AM   #408

THOR #25796
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
We just prop the refrigerator and freezer door open, it doesnít get nasty. This a has been true with Rv refrigerators forever. The solar keeps us charged with main power off and inverter off. But we are in the land of lots of sun.
All refrigerators have that problem when not in use. I just like to keep a couple of cold ones in there so let it run .

With the power and inverter off we're good here in NE as well.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:52 AM   #409
KLG

THOR #27028
Quote:
Thank you for your reply and forgive my confusion, I'm new at all this, but does the inverter need to be on to charge the battery? I thought only the main battery power had to be on, also my fridge runs without the inverter on so I'm wondering if we have different set ups.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:54 AM   #410
KLG

THOR #27028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
We just prop the refrigerator and freezer door open, it doesnít get nasty. This a Has been true with Rv refrigerators forever. The solar keeps us charged with main power off and inverter off. But we are in the land of lots of sun.
So the solar will charge the battery with the main power off? I'm in learning mode here for sure.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:19 AM   #411

THOR #25047
Quote:
Thank you for your reply and forgive my confusion, I'm new at all this, but does the inverter need to be on to charge the battery? I thought only the main battery power had to be on, also my fridge runs without the inverter on so I'm wondering if we have different set ups.

No, neither the inverter nor the main power need to be on for solar charge. Our refrigerator is also 12 volt and runs without the inverter, but needs the main power switch on. When we park it at home, we turn everything off, main power off. The solar will keep our battery charged.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:20 AM   #412

THOR #25047
Quote:
So the solar will charge the battery with the main power off? I'm in learning mode here for sure.

Yes it will
Old 06-30-2022, 03:43 AM   #413

THOR #27083
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_rvlife View Post
Yes, you still need the controller. The solar port is a "direct line" of sorts to the battery and the panels will continue to deliver power if the battery is full and could then lead to damage. The solar controller in the middle between the battery and the panels manages charge levels to prevent over charging.
Thanks for the reply, but is that verified? The reason I ask is it seems to me, (I could be mistaken) that when I plug a solar panel directly into the side port the input readings on my on-board Go Power Solar Controller change. That would indicate to me that the external port feeds into the on-board controller along with the roof panels, rather than directly to the battery.....
Old 06-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #414

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
The wiring schematic for LI Reliable system shows it doesn't connect directly to the Controller , but the Controller is probably sensing out put for the entire solar system . Here is a screen photo of the system from TMC owners diagrams . The outside plug in is down stream of the Panels out put .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar electrical input.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	38395  
Old 06-30-2022, 02:50 PM   #415

THOR #27083
Quote:
The wiring schematic for LI Reliable system shows it doesn't connect directly to the Controller , but the Controller is probably sensing out put for the entire solar system . Here is a screen photo of the system from TMC owners diagrams . The outside plug in is down stream of the Panels out put .
Thank you for posting this. It's good to know. I'll have to find a different controller since the one that came with my DOKIO panel does not have SAE plug output (or find a XT60 to SAE adapter I suppose). Thanks again
Old 07-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #416

THOR #25796
LP Quick Disconnect Recall

My dealer is over 300 miles away, but THOR did apologize for the inconvenience.

Does anyone know what I should look for? Seems to me that if it looks good visually I shouldn't worry. On the other hand, it should be easy for me to change myself but I'm concerned about the liability down the road once I sell if it's not done at the dealer.

I apologize for the quality of the image, but it is completely accurate as received from THOR. Apparently their mimeograph machine had a hiccup while they were running these off so the print quality is very poor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220705_220105268.MP.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	38540  
Old 07-05-2022, 10:45 PM   #417

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
I got the letter today also . I have an appointment at GRV in Sept. for a couple of things & they can check it then .
Old 07-05-2022, 11:05 PM   #418

THOR #25796
Quote:
I got the letter today also . I have an appointment at GRV in Sept. for a couple of things & they can check it then .
SEPTEMBER? You could be incinerated by then or blow up your neigbors.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:39 PM   #419

THOR #25796
It's probably a $5-$10 part and 15 minute job. DIY
Old 07-06-2022, 12:08 AM   #420
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
My dealer is over 300 miles away, but THOR did apologize for the inconvenience.

Does anyone know what I should look for? Seems to me that if it looks good visually I shouldn't worry. On the other hand, it should be easy for me to change myself but I'm concerned about the liability down the road once I sell if it's not done at the dealer.

I apologize for the quality of the image, but it is completely accurate as received from THOR. Apparently their mimeograph machine had a hiccup while they were running these off so the print quality is very poor.
If you can't have a pro inspect the part, and you don't feel confident in installing a replacement (a 1 on the 1-10 difficulty scale). then hire a mobile tech to do it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote