Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #341

State: California
THOR #25047
Tranquility/Sanctuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
Thanks for your advise. I ended up getting a hitch mount carrier to use at the rear of the van. Not going to use it forward as I'm a little worried about engine cooling. I figure if I'm hauling the bikes I'll put the generator inside. It's about the size of an ice chest . My dilemma now is I can't seem to get the generator to run on the propane quick connect. I believe the pressure isn't enough to run it, as it runs fine on a portable tank. RV shop is going to see if they can delegate a separate regulator for the quick connect. Van is presently in the shop to address the awning problem as well as the water pump won't prime. Then off to Mercedes to repair the driveline clunk issue. There is a service bulletin for repair. Sorry to hear your selling, but I have honestly considered doing the same. Im not sure if the quality of the build could be any worst than I've seen on my van. Im going to hold off and hopefully these minor issues will eventually be resolved. Have you thought about a Revel ? Probably will be my choice if it comes down to that. Good luck RS

It seems RV quality control is an issue regardless of the company. If you visit a Revel user forum you can read about plenty of issues. It’s not just Thor. Perhaps some are better than others? But I agree for the price…it’s ridiculous to have so many problems.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:35 PM   #342

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #25796
Quote:
Thanks for your advise. I ended up getting a hitch mount carrier to use at the rear of the van. Not going to use it forward as I'm a little worried about engine cooling. I figure if I'm hauling the bikes I'll put the generator inside. It's about the size of an ice chest . My dilemma now is I can't seem to get the generator to run on the propane quick connect. I believe the pressure isn't enough to run it, as it runs fine on a portable tank. RV shop is going to see if they can delegate a separate regulator for the quick connect. Van is presently in the shop to address the awning problem as well as the water pump won't prime. Then off to Mercedes to repair the driveline clunk issue. There is a service bulletin for repair. Sorry to hear your selling, but I have honestly considered doing the same. Im not sure if the quality of the build could be any worst than I've seen on my van. Im going to hold off and hopefully these minor issues will eventually be resolved. Have you thought about a Revel ? Probably will be my choice if it comes down to that. Good luck RS
I've seen a lot of front carriers on these vans in the Carolinas with coolers and other stuff on them so I think you'd be OK. Generator inside to me is a pain since you have to take it out everytime you camp. I moved my camp chairs outside just so I wouldn't have to deal with them. Call me lazy

The generator needs to be plumbed straight to the propane tank just like it would be off a 20lb bottle or the regulator has to be taken out of the generator. The van has a regulator going to the outlet. You can't even use it with a grill that has a built in regulator, that has to be removed.

There's so many features I do like about the MB chassis, but I wouldn't buy another one based on my issues with it and having to pay 50% more for the fuel and the expensive maintenance.

12 MPG with a gas engine is the same as 18 MPG with diesel at current prices and I'm not getting 18. I hear the Transit based gas vans get 16 and regular maintenance is much cheaper.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:49 AM   #343

THOR #25702
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
I've seen a lot of front carriers on these vans in the Carolinas with coolers and other stuff on them so I think you'd be OK. Generator inside to me is a pain since you have to take it out everytime you camp. I moved my camp chairs outside just so I wouldn't have to deal with them. Call me lazy

The generator needs to be plumbed straight to the propane tank just like it would be off a 20lb bottle or the regulator has to be taken out of the generator. The van has a regulator going to the outlet. You can't even use it with a grill that has a built in regulator, that has to be removed.

There's so many features I do like about the MB chassis, but I wouldn't buy another one based on my issues with it and having to pay 50% more for the fuel and the expensive maintenance.

12 MPG with a gas engine is the same as 18 MPG with diesel at current prices and I'm not getting 18. I hear the Transit based gas vans get 16 and regular maintenance is much cheaper.
I think I've found a reputable shop to address my warranty issues. Blue Dog RV. I'm impressed with how they've handled things so far. The water pump ended up having to be replaced, the new motor has been ordered for the awning, and they are plumbing the generator feed to the propane tank as well. Not sure of the details of that procedure. They offered to deliver the van to Mercedes for the metallic clunk problem when switching from reverse to drive or vise versa. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, as I've not seen it posted on this site. Looking forward to the Memorial Day trip we've planned to Bishop Ca. for Mule Days. Hoping the van holds together for that. Should be a real kick in the ass.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #344

THOR #25796
Quote:
I think I've found a reputable shop to address my warranty issues. Blue Dog RV. I'm impressed with how they've handled things so far. The water pump ended up having to be replaced, the new motor has been ordered for the awning, and they are plumbing the generator feed to the propane tank as well. Not sure of the details of that procedure. They offered to deliver the van to Mercedes for the metallic clunk problem when switching from reverse to drive or vise versa. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, as I've not seen it posted on this site. Looking forward to the Memorial Day trip we've planned to Bishop Ca. for Mule Days. Hoping the van holds together for that. Should be a real kick in the ass.
I haven't noticed a clunk in ours.

I haven't had a clunk in my mine. However, it does randomly slam on the brakes from a dead stop and refuse to move in reverse even when there is nothing behind us. That is very abrupt, loud and disconcerting.

Drive line clunk could be lots of things. I would ask the RV place to check the rear drive shaft while it is up on the lift. It could be loose u-joint bolts. If the vehicle is in neutral on the lift they should be able to rotate the rear tires back and forth to see if they can duplicate the the clunk and locate it. They could even have someone in the cab shifting it back and forth from forward to reverse with another tech underneath checking and listening to locate it. They may need to add some resistance by applying the parking brake to duplicate the load you have with the wheels on the ground. Other than that, I would get it to MB for a quick diagnosis and resolution.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Old 05-13-2022, 10:19 PM   #345

Model: tranquility 19P
State: Florida
THOR #26546
love our tranquility. yes. There were some issues and some learning curves that didn't need to happen. But we love our Tranquility!
Old 05-13-2022, 10:24 PM   #346

Model: tranquility 19P
THOR #26546
Any suggestions on a mattress to go on top of the entire bed assembly?
I'll Happily leave the bed out for those long multi day road trips.
It's an odd and small size if I measured correctly: 61 X 69 inches...
I'd like something substantial like that "Ghost Bed".
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2022, 10:29 PM   #347

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjbrooks2017@gmail.com View Post
Any suggestions on a mattress to go on top of the entire bed assembly?
I'll Happily leave the bed out for those long multi day road trips.
It's an odd and small size if I measured correctly: 61 X 69 inches...
I'd like something substantial like that "Ghost Bed".
Thanks in advance!

I bought a king size foam topper at Target and cut it to fit. Works good, I used some of the remnants to wrap the brackets for the 2 side seats that stick up a bit. The only drawback … it’s a lot of bedding to put somewhere if you like to make the bed into the dinette. We don’t ever use the dinette, so for us we leave the bed made and it’s very comfortable.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #348

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
THOR #26179
Now I have an electrical issue , my Inverter ( MasterVolt , combimaster 3000 /120 )& it will not turn on & even with Shore Power , no 120 V . It seems even from Shore Power , its fed through the Inverter for what they say is conditioning , then to be distributed to devices . I have no 120V at the House 30 amp Breaker in the panel . so no roof mount A/C , TV, Micro wave . I checked everything I could with a Meter , I get 120V through the transfer Switch, I can watch the contractor pull in , but nothing past the Inverter .

The Yellow safety Relay is closed & I get Battery voltage through it .

There are indicator lights on top of the Inverter to show what modes are on, green Lit & if Red lit , shows an issue . I have no reds , I have A/C In lit , Inverter not lit , Charger lit ,& there are three Battery mode indicator lights, Bulk , Absorption , Float & I have Absorption lit .

The Charging modes should go , Bulk , Absorption ,then into Float mode ,when reaching 100% , Mine has been on , Absorption , for a week or so , but showed 100% Battery level. Until I started to read up on this Inverter , I read it shouldn't stay on Absorption for very long , so probably because the Inverter is off , its not doing any kind of computing logistics , lol.

One thing I have not checked is the Remote wall mount , it may be wacky or the wiring /cable could be compromised . Such fun .
Old 05-16-2022, 10:34 PM   #349

THOR #26179
Talked to a Tech. from GRV orange park & after telling him what I have checked on , they made me an appointment for tomorrow .
Old 05-18-2022, 12:47 AM   #350

THOR #26179
They ordered a new Transfer switch , because Thor Said they were having issues with them . So why doesn't my LI Batteries take over when SP is disconnected and why is my Inverter showing its on at the Remote panel & off at the Inverter , well they didn't look at that , I had to ask why , I informed them I had no 120 V power , they only checked SP , It may have been a mix up with communication , but you would think they would check , because it is inverted for 120Volt power .

Have to wait for the Transfer switch , so I asked them to keep this WO open ,because its not repaired , they were all quite helpful & friendly , so a couple weeks for the part & I have a front panel from the sink island that was damaged probably during assembly that came in, from the walk through when purchased , so they can do them both at the same time & this time I will leave it with them, I caught a good nap while waiting , hope I didn't snore much .
Old 05-18-2022, 05:18 PM   #351

THOR #26179
Today I decided to look at the system myself , tried to talk to anyone from MasterVolt , I had no luck , their web sight for technical assistance they have you contact their dealer network , I had no luck with that , if they sell a lot of this brand of equipment here in the USA , you would think there would be a tech. line or something .

I found it odd that the LED Indicator lights on the Inverter itself showed the AC power is lit ( I now know it shows that SP is on ), Inverter is not lit (Off ) , Charging is lit & Battery mode is still on Absorption is lit .

So with no SP attached & not on , why is it showing this ? ,what I did was took readings off the Inverter itself , I removed the access cover from the front so I could take the readings (voltage ) 120V in from input from SP was "0" , Battery voltage input was 120V , so the Batteries seem fine , it almost like the Inverter is stuck on SP & not connected or showing 120 V, I found that that Yellow Safety Relay shouts down the Inverter completely( with out SP on ) , so I said to myself leave it off for five min. & see if it will reboot or what ever , works for a lot of things , I switched the Relay on & reset the center & nothing happened ,no indicator lights on at all, the remote panel was showing system not activated , but did show Battery parameters , I said whoops , so I toggled the "on "or "Charge" ,switch to 'Charge "& then back to on & bam, The Inverter indicator light lit & the Fan inside started up for a min. then shut down , np other indicator lights were lit & the remote panel showed the system was on with the normal display . I looked at my Microwave & it had zero's accross the display , turned on my A/c & it worked , so I now have 120V from the LI Batteries & now lets see if SP will come on , ran my cord plugged it in , flipped the Breaker & I could hear the transfer switch make & I now have AC in lit , Charger indicator lit , Inverter indicator not lit & the Absorption battery mode lit , A/C worked & Microwave is on . I let it charge for a while & it finally went into Float mode & battery at 100% .

I switched off the Breaker in the House for the SP & Inverter went to Inverter Indicator lit & AC in was not lit & Charger was not lit , but battery mode was showing Float lit .

I don't think there is a problem with the Transfer switch , I think its the Inverter , why it locked up I have no Idea , but I will talk to Thor about it tomorrow & tell them what I did & what I believe is a problem in the Inverter .I'm waiting for the lead tech. at GRV to call me back so I can inform him what I found .

I would rather be lucky, then good ,any day .
Old 05-20-2022, 03:25 AM   #352

THOR #26820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay McClellan View Post
Mostly we like to get outside but it's nice to have but I replaced that with a Lagun table mount and it's fantastic.
Jay, could you post some details on where and how you mounted the Lagun table?

Thanks!
Ray
Old 05-21-2022, 02:11 AM   #353

Model: Tranquility
THOR #23742
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjbrooks2017@gmail.com View Post
Attachment 36987

the two side chair bolsters have Velcro on both sides to attach to the angled top cushion and to attach to the inside edge of the seat cushion.
It's an odd design for a bed cushion.
I thought the "jack-knife" style would be better, but I'm reading people are finding the hinges uncomfortable.
Should I stick with the weird two sided Velcro and just throw a towel over the exposed Velcro before putting down bedding??
Thanks! New to all of this and thrilled to have help with questions!
Mary
Hi we took off the brackets as they dig into your body when sleeping, just a bad setup. We got thicker side seat foam to match the height of the electric bed section. I ask thor to redo the foam as it is very cheap and thin causing this problem and they said no. We are one yr out this month and at some point will maybe redo the seats and put the brackets back in.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #354

State: British Columbia
THOR #26874
A couple of questions

New at RVing (and haven't owned a motor vehicle in over 30 years) so unsure about a lot.

First, our Sanctuary 19P doesn't have a spare (though it does have a jack and tools, go figure). Are the tires on our unit dependable enough to go without a spare (at least for the moment, i.e., under 20,000 km/12,000 miles)? If not are there products that we could use to be prepared? Or should we do anything to make sure that we have a spare?

Second, are the sunscreens for the cab of the Mercedes the best way to go? They seem awfully big and bulky. When we have used them at night (in cool weather anyway) for privacy the windows were completely steamed up which is a minor annoyance, plus they're not all that easy to put up. We have put in a curtain behind to the front seats for privacy (easy to do).

Thanks
Old 05-24-2022, 04:47 AM   #355

THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobontheRocks View Post
New at RVing (and haven't owned a motor vehicle in over 30 years) so unsure about a lot.

First, our Sanctuary 19P doesn't have a spare (though it does have a jack and tools, go figure). Are the tires on our unit dependable enough to go without a spare (at least for the moment, i.e., under 20,000 km/12,000 miles)? If not are there products that we could use to be prepared? Or should we do anything to make sure that we have a spare?

Second, are the sunscreens for the cab of the Mercedes the best way to go? They seem awfully big and bulky. When we have used them at night (in cool weather anyway) for privacy the windows were completely steamed up which is a minor annoyance, plus they're not all that easy to put up. We have put in a curtain behind to the front seats for privacy (easy to do).

Thanks
Owl makes a rear door spare tire mount. A little pricey, but very well made. I personally wouldn't travel without a spare tire.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #356

THOR #26179
Quote:

Thanks
When was the last time you used a spare tire ?

I like the Owl & there are others , I carry a Tire Plug Kit & portable air compressor until I pick out a Spare Tire system for the Sprinter & if I can't fix it , my road side assistance will be used . Of course there are places where Cell Phones don't have coverage & thats something you need to think about if going way out in the Boonies'.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #357

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthgear View Post
When was the last time you used a spare tire ?

I like the Owl & there are others , I carry a Tire Plug Kit & portable air compressor until I pick out a Spare Tire system for the Sprinter & if I can't fix it , my road side assistance will be used . Of course there are places where Cell Phones don't have coverage & thats something you need to think about if going way out in the Boonies'.

Exactly! In 60 years of driving I’ve NEVER replaced a tire on the side of the road. I too carry a plug kit and a pump as well as roadside assistance. It’s not a bulletproof plan but it’s what we’re doing.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:40 PM   #358

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #22773
I may be going a bit overboard, but I would not go with out my spare tire and spare diesel. You can see them on the back of my RV in this video. The tire carrier is a Owl Vans.

Oh and the tires are K02 17" Black Rhino Arsenals
Old 05-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #359

THOR #26874
Basic tool kit for on the road

With space at a premium in a Sanctuary 29P, what would the basic took kit you would suggest for extended road trips? I have decided to go with the patch kit and pump for the chance of a flat.

At the dealer now getting the sliding windows fixed. Apparently the manufacturer of these windows has informed dealers (perhaps through Thor) about the problems and, maybe, with fixes. Will update on this.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:45 AM   #360

THOR #26874
Quote:
With space at a premium in a Sanctuary 29P, what would the basic took kit you would suggest for extended road trips? I have decided to go with the patch kit and pump for the chance of a flat.

At the dealer now getting the sliding windows fixed. Apparently the manufacturer of these windows has informed dealers (perhaps through Thor) about the problems and, maybe, with fixes. Will update on this.
OK, further on the windows: there is a fix that the window manufacturer has provided to dealers and that my dealer (Comox Valley RV < https://www.comoxvalleyrv.com/>) installed. The problem with the bug screen has not been solved. Need a better two sided tape.