Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2022, 03:07 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Agree these awning are POS. The problem is that when the awning is fully extended, and the arms get fully extended, the motor does not have enough torque to overcome the force needed to start to collapse the arms ... the motor can not start the arm folding process. If you continue to try, it will burn out the motor. There are a couple of solutions, none really good.

1) Do not let the awning get fully extended. Manually stop the awning about a foot from fully extending it. The motor should be able to retract from there.
2) When fully extended, use the tool to start the retraction process and then retract with the motor after you have a good bend in the awning arms
3) Add something that blocks/stops the awning before it fully extends
4) find a better motor

Old 02-06-2022, 06:30 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #25702
Too late. Mine is done.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Also make sure you are on shore power, running the generator or even the vehicle engine. The slightly higher voltage gives the motor a bit more zip. Worked (sometimes) for the similar problem I had with my FE.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #24

THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Also make sure you are on shore power, running the generator or even the vehicle engine. The slightly higher voltage gives the motor a bit more zip. Worked (sometimes) for the similar problem I had with my FE.
For an RV that is supposed to be an “overland” rig, that option might be difficult.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:34 AM   #25

THOR #26233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
New owner of a Tranquility 19L. Really like this van, but honestly these awnings are POS. While doing our walkthrough, the awning got stuck in the extended position. LaMesa had a tech come and spray some silicone on the elbows, massage it around and it retracted, although making a grinding noise. Of course, the tech said that was normal. When home tried out the awning and failed to retract on first attempt. Had to use the provided hand crank and successfully got it back in after an hour long struggle. Now, when trying to extend the motor spins and doesn’t engage. If it can’t resolve the issue I’ll get a manual crank awni
ng. Again no call from LaMesa. These awnings are no longer made in Sweden. Chinese all the way.
Hello, when you press extend and hear the motor start spinning have you tried pulling on the awning to get it unstuck? Sometimes it sounds like how you described when the awning can't get over the first lip and pushing it up/pulling on it while motor is spinning will get it free and extend. Its a problem with how the awning is manufactured though nothing to do with La Mesa. Service centers are very busy right now you would have better luck driving down there to schedule service appointment. What state are you in?
Old 03-14-2022, 05:40 AM   #26

THOR #26233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSKDSK View Post
Agree these awning are POS. The problem is that when the awning is fully extended, and the arms get fully extended, the motor does not have enough torque to overcome the force needed to start to collapse the arms ... the motor can not start the arm folding process. If you continue to try, it will burn out the motor. There are a couple of solutions, none really good.

1) Do not let the awning get fully extended. Manually stop the awning about a foot from fully extending it. The motor should be able to retract from there.
2) When fully extended, use the tool to start the retraction process and then retract with the motor after you have a good bend in the awning arms
3) Add something that blocks/stops the awning before it fully extends
4) find a better motor
We run into this with maybe half of these awnings, some extend and are able to retract and some aren't without help by bending the arm in slightly. I'm still researching if there's a way to set a stop for the awning but I haven't found any info for anything like that in all the manuals and installations that are on Lipperts website. I feel like its enough of an issue for a recall
Old 03-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #27

THOR #25702
I took the cover off the motor and the plastic bushing was stuck. Managed to pull it back out and somehow it engaged. So far the awning is working. The trick is stop short of fully extending otherwise it will get stuck in the open position when trying to retract. As far as LaMesa goes, by far the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced, ever. It basically doesn’t exist.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #28

THOR #22773
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSTech916 View Post
We run into this with maybe half of these awnings, some extend and are able to retract and some aren't without help by bending the arm in slightly. I'm still researching if there's a way to set a stop for the awning but I haven't found any info for anything like that in all the manuals and installations that are on Lipperts website. I feel like its enough of an issue for a recall
I did the same thing ... never found any way to set a stopping point. I agree that these awnings should be recalled but Thor is telling the dealership that these awning were never meant to be fully extended automatically and that owners should manually stop them before full extension ... just complete BS
Old 03-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #29

THOR #22773
UPDATE: I am beginning to really dislike General RV in Tampa! My awning motor was received by them, and then they used it on another RV. Apparently they ordered it as a stock part with my name ... which allows them to use it as they see fit.
Thor Motor Coach was even less helpful as they told me they would not send another one as they have already sent one for my RV. They then told me to have the General RV parts department call the Thor parts department to explain what happened ... ARE YOU CRAZY ... I AM LUCKY if general RV parts department even answer the phone.

So ... I am done ... I call Lippert components (574-537-8900) who Thor purchases the motor from directly. The part number is 862109. The cost ... $975 and it is back ordered 3-4 months. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is getting really old really quickly!

I know that Thor watches my YouTube channel, hopefully they will get this corrected before I post my experience as I have over 200k views a month now.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:42 PM   #30

State: Virginia
THOR #29155
Can anyone tell me where the manual crank is stored? I can’t locate it anywhere unless it’s held within the awning itself, which makes no sense. 2023 Sanc. Thanks
Old 03-12-2023, 06:35 PM   #31

THOR #25702
Quote:
I did the same thing ... never found any way to set a stopping point. I agree that these awnings should be recalled but Thor is telling the dealership that these awning were never meant to be fully extended automatically and that owners should manually stop them before full extension ... just complete BS
Try pushing the extend button when it gets to where you want. If not, you’re in for a fight.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:41 PM   #32

State: Virginia
THOR #29155
Ya, I’d rather find the crank before trying the awning just in case it malfunctions. I just haven’t located where it should be stored…
Old 03-12-2023, 06:49 PM   #33

Model: Tranquility 19P
State: Georgia
THOR #24703
I have to agree with everyone else that the awning is poorly made/designed.....
Because I'm 6ft tall, I can reach the top when it's fully extended and give it a shove when the wife hits the retract button and it retracts every time. Not ideal but seems to work until someone comes out with a fix.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:51 PM   #34

Model: Tranquility 19P
State: Georgia
THOR #24703
One did not come with my Tranquility. There is probably a way to manually remove the end cap and insert a 3/8 socket drive but this is only speculation from other awnings I've read about.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #35

Model: Tranquility
THOR #23742
We have not had any issues but have heard about it. i just hit the extend icon and let it do its thing i don't stop it, it goes out a little past full extension and then resets and stops. One push to get it in. I never found a rod to manually work it.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:52 PM   #36

State: Colorado
THOR #29217
Puck lights out

My RV history includes a Roadtrek and Winnebago Travato. Upgraded to the Tranquility 19L 6 months ago. For my needs, the layout may tight but is well designed for more rugged use compared to the prior vehicles. Also, I live in a cold environment and really appreciate having the lithium batters inside the coach. Cassette toilet is great in sub zero weather. I've had a number of recall issues (awing doesn't work, wall paper is peeling) but still love to drive this van.

I recently took the van in for service. After leaving the dealer, I discovered that the two 12V puck lights over the kitchen table were not working. Fuses check out ok. All other aspects of the 12V and 110 seem functional.
Any thoughts on why these two lights are out?
Jeff
Old 03-20-2023, 04:54 PM   #37

State: Colorado
THOR #29217
Wall paper recall

And so you all know, the peeling wall paper on my '22 Tranquility is part of a warrantee recall. I'd be interested in how many Tranquility owners have had issues with the wall paper.
Jeff
Old 03-20-2023, 05:23 PM   #38

State: Louisiana
THOR #26495
Quote:
I have been told by La Mesa RV that the Thule awnings on the Tranquility do not have stop limit sensors and that you need to let off the button when you extend or retract the awning or you could over extend the awning or short out the motor. Is this true?!?!

My Tellaro ... I would simply push the extend button for a couple of seconds and it would extend and stop when it was fully extended (by itself via a limit switch).

The same for retract ... pretty much automated.

This manual crap scares me.
There was a large batch of those models (Tellaro/Rize/Sanctuary/Tranquility) that were delivered to dealer inventories that were fitted with an incorrect control module for the particular Thule awning that is on it. The symptoms of that being the problem are the awning goes out, to full extension then proceeds to roll itself right back in, unless of course you stop it by pressing the button. Once out if you stop it when extended, then it wont retract. Unfortunately the awning control unit cannot be accessed easily on most models to verify model and serial numbers. They are usually under the drivers side rear bench/bed area. A couple of models have them easily viewable in the right rear area when opening the rear doors. These models usually will have the inverter right by there also.