Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Montana
THOR #27162
Tranquillity 19p

I have the “reliable” solar system. Hasn’t worked since 2 hours after purchasing. LaMessa rv sells it but has not one employee nationwide that knows how to explain it or work on it. The Thor national reps are honest too in that they don’t have a clue.
I basically purchased a van that sometimes has a bed because it rarely has power to fold into a bed.
This has been a nightmare. Thanks LaMesa and Thor. My local dealer has denied me warranty work. Thanks for all the help Thor.
I didn’t purchase this to work on it.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:55 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #25047
Tranquillity 19p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissedoffowner View Post
I have the “reliable” solar system. Hasn’t worked since 2 hours after purchasing. LaMessa rv sells it but has not one employee nationwide that knows how to explain it or work on it. The Thor national reps are honest too in that they don’t have a clue.
I basically purchased a van that sometimes has a bed because it rarely has power to fold into a bed.
This has been a nightmare. Thanks LaMesa and Thor. My local dealer has denied me warranty work. Thanks for all the help Thor.

What specifically is the problem? What do you mean that it doesn’t work? Does it work on shore power? In the beginning we didn’t completely understand how it worked. But there is a rep at Thor (Brian Emmons) that was very helpful. We did have the relay switch in the wrong position and a few other lessons learned. La Mesa RV sales rep in San Diego weren’t knowledgeable at all, but the service center does have a good tech. There’s a few people on this forum that may be able to help you sort it out.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
So you bought something without knowing what you were buying or how to use it?

The "ReLiable" system is a lot more than just solar. I don't know what manuals you got with the MH but you can start the education process here:

There are lots of experienced people here that can help you with specific issues or questions. There are entire threads here on these new class B/B+ vans.

This is not the place for general rants about your RV. Just like at the dealer or Thor, that will alienate the people who are most able to help you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #4

THOR #25702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

The "ReLiable" system is a lot more than just solar. I don't know what manuals you got with the MH but you can start the education process here:

There are lots of experienced people here that can help you with specific issues or questions. There are entire threads here on these new class B/B+ vans.

This is not the place for general rants about your RV. Just like at the dealer or Thor, that will alienate the people who are most able to help you.
So, let me see if I understand you correctly. This guy is having problems with not only the dealer, but the manufacturer as well. Lack of knowledge or just poor customer service and he can't express that? As far as him not knowing what he bargained for concerning his purchase, I didn't know much myself, but believe me, the past several months I've learned a lot. Seems to me he has a legitimate gripe, and maybe like any other forum , I was under the impression that was at least in part , what people do on a forum.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #5

THOR #25702
Quote:
You can try Mastervolt. They're probably your best bet. 800-307-6702. call early and you might only wait ten minutes
Old 06-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Did you notice in video when he turns on air conditioner it shows 10 minutes of battery left?

It may be semantics, but to me a motorhome that has no generator and one that is “generator-less” are not quite the same. A 200 Amp-hour (12 VDC) is blurring the line for marketing reasons. Specs and performance says it all.

Solar makes 9 Amps. How far is that going towards powering an air conditioner?

Battery can power A/C for about an hour. How is that going to work at all in middle of day?

And if alternator only charges at +/- 80 Amps, owner will end up idling van ful time to keep inside of van cool.

This is the kind of stuff that gives new technologies a bad name. When it doesn’t work adequately because someone cut corners to reduce costs enough to help sell more motorhomes, those who don’t understand the technology enough in the first place will jump to conclusion that all lithium/inverter generator-less systems suck.

I know the system works as wired, but I also expect the vast majority of buyers have no idea on how limited performance will be if boondocking in summer when air conditioning is required. Manufacturers should be much more specific on such matters to prevent misleading buyers. In this case “buyer beware” is not enough in my opinion because system complexity is greater than average people understand.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #7

THOR #25702
I ended up purchasing the 3500 watt Champion duel fuel generator to supplement the lithium batteries. Haven’t really used it out on a campsite , but in the driveway works fine. I really would have preferred the old Cummins Onan system, but new green technology is better. That’s why you end up using a generator after all
Old 06-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #8

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Quote:
Solar system on these will only run the refrigerator and trickle charge at best on a sunny day. You must be either plugged in or running the engine to charge the batteries unless you have a generator which is doubtful. I have found the Thor reps to be very helpful, dealers not so much after they have made the sale. I agree that many dealers are misrepresenting how these with small lithium batteries will operate. Two 100ah lithium batteries are not going to do much and it will require frequent charging if you run the roof top A/C at all. Lucky to get one hour of air conditioner use until batteries are almost depleted and needing recharge. This would be fine in a campground if you can plug in (which should automatically recharge the batteries) but otherwise will not have enough battery power to do much.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
So, let me see if I understand you correctly. This guy is having problems with not only the dealer, but the manufacturer as well. Lack of knowledge or just poor customer service and he can't express that? As far as him not knowing what he bargained for concerning his purchase, I didn't know much myself, but believe me, the past several months I've learned a lot. Seems to me he has a legitimate gripe, and maybe like any other forum , I was under the impression that was at least in part , what people do on a forum.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...out-31290.html
Open that link and see the help we give to those who don't particularly blame everyone but themselves.

Who in the whole world ever ever ever said a salesman were the pillars of truth and fact and knowledge?
Who ever ever ever said to not use Rvchecklist and the internet and THIS FORUM before buying?

Op did no worthwhile research.
We do not, as a group, cater well to cattererwalling.

The cheese stands alone.
This forum isn't a 12 step program or a listening board.
It's a sounding board.
And
We can only guess why their claim was denied(essentially tossed out of the shop)
But we know for real why beau and myself, and dkoldman dont have that problem.

Chickens have vents.
We don't know a single fact about a single thing the op points to.
All we know is the dealer, probably/possiblyfor cause, tossed him out.

Read what wasn't written. The picture is clear.

Op:
Consider a new post where you ask instead of tell.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:05 PM   #10

THOR #25047
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
Solar system on these will only run the refrigerator and trickle charge at best on a sunny day. You must be either plugged in or running the engine to charge the batteries unless you have a generator which is doubtful. I have found the Thor reps to be very helpful, dealers not so much after they have made the sale. I agree that many dealers are misrepresenting how these with small lithium batteries will operate. Two 100ah lithium batteries are not going to do much and it will require frequent charging if you run the roof top A/C at all. Lucky to get one hour of air conditioner use until batteries are almost depleted and needing recharge. This would be fine in a campground if you can plug in (which should automatically recharge the batteries) but otherwise will not have enough battery power to do much.

Our solar will run the refrigerator and trickle charge reliably for 5-6 days with plenty of sun.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyray 992 View Post
The OP is frustrated because of communication and knowledge problems. Poor communication leads to a lack of knowledge. I tried to help the OP with HIS lack of knowledge to get him on the right road. Can't do anything about the Dealer's knowledge. Can't do anything about any of their communication issues, including the OP's. But it seems the OP just wanted to vent and throw everybody under the bus. He wasn't really looking for assistance. He came, he ranted, he left, he never returned. Some people are happier when their entitlement is not met and they can complain about it. We'll never know what his real issues were, could have just been operator error or misconceptions about the system.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote