Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #25047
Tranquility Roof leak

Last month we experienced our first big rain event since buying our rig last Sept. Big leak around the roof vent. Took it to a local RV repair shop where our neighbor works. He told us all the roof sealant was poorly done, cracked and needs to be replaced. Also indicated there could be leaks like in the walls that we can’t see. Yesterday we had La Mesa RV in San Diego look at the roof, they also advised redoing the entire roof and said the original job was poorly done and agreed on the time estimate to repair.. I called Thor, no warranty help on this as the roof is only covered for 90 days. So for those of you within 90 days, get a roof inspection! Most RV places here do them for free. I’m pretty disappointed that after only a year the recommendation is to redo all the roof after paying so much money.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	40127
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3414.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	40128

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	40129

Name:	IMG_3411.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	40130

Name:	IMG_3410.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	40131

Name:	IMG_3408.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	40132

Name:	IMG_3407.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	40133

Old 11-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
I have found that I need to check and reseal the roof on a yearly basis. I already inspected my roof and found cracks starting to form around the roof vent and already resealed ... my rig is about a year old as well.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:04 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Doesn’t really look “poorly done” to me so much as typical drying and shrinkage. I too am surprised to see that much failure after only a year and a half. But I also learned (the hard way) to inspect my roof, on hands and knees, at least wide a year. Also the sidewalls at ALL penetrations. Best to stay ahead of it.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:42 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Tranquility Roof leak

This is why I put Eternabond Tape over all Dicor when I get a coach.

I place it over all seams, joints, holes and cut-outs where Dicor was applied at the factory and Inoverlap both the Dicor and roof itself. There is also Eternabond Microsealant I use with the tape for tight places.

Then no more inspecting and adding / replacing Dicor and the only
Roof maintenance is inspecting for damage and cleaning.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:42 AM   #5

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
two things -
RSDKSK - nice policy to check and inspect at least yearly; question to you is - your profile says "still looking" doesn't align with your comment of being in your rig. time to update your profile?
I agree with Pete'sMH all the way. Me not saying the places you have been to get an inspection may be overselling you, but me being a do-it-yourself'er, I'd get a bucket of goop and goop it myself first. this i have done myself and all is dry in my house, my house being over 5 years now. if you do hire it out, check on the high end option that is guaranteed for life, that looks great to me, but i haven't gotten a price on that, I hear it is expensive.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #6

Model: Tranquility 19P
State: Georgia
THOR #24703
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamccormick View Post
Last month we experienced our first big rain event since buying our rig last Sept. Big leak around the roof vent. Took it to a local RV repair shop where our neighbor works. He told us all the roof sealant was poorly done, cracked and needs to be replaced. Also indicated there could be leaks like in the walls that we can’t see. Yesterday we had La Mesa RV in San Diego look at the roof, they also advised redoing the entire roof and said the original job was poorly done and agreed on the time estimate to repair.. I called Thor, no warranty help on this as the roof is only covered for 90 days. So for those of you within 90 days, get a roof inspection! Most RV places here do them for free. I’m pretty disappointed that after only a year the recommendation is to redo all the roof after paying so much money.Attachment 40127
Attachment 40128
Attachment 40129
Attachment 40130
Attachment 40131
Attachment 40132
Attachment 40133
Thanks for your post. I just had the exact same thing happen while on a trip to New England for Thanksgiving. Rain came in buckets and started pouring in through the ceiling next to the roof vent......
My unit is one year old and stays parked underneath a shelter which may be why I've didn't know it was vulnerable.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #7

State: Massachusetts
THOR #23697
Roof leak

I just had my entire roof redone. Spending more than half of the year in the Florida sun it’s wise to inspect often. I have a Tuscany 45AT. This was my first repair but before I could get it repaired it started to leak in a Hurricane. My shops said check it at least 2x a year just to be safe. The whole job complete was $1,300 and I will continue with this periodic maintenance. Seven years to me was great for the roof money well spent!
Old 12-03-2022, 11:35 PM   #8

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I have a 2017 AXIS an I get on the roof every season before the rain season hits, I live in Southern California so not the heat like the desert area, what I did notice this last time was the seam between the front cap and the roof there is an aluminum molding going from left to right and it has the self tapping screws about every 6 inches, I noticed all the screw heads on the center to left side had worked loose and were bulging up the Dicor, they never broke through, I got on the roof with a 1 inch wood chisel and started removing the old Dicor, it came off the front cap with little effort and was only stuck to the U shaped aluminum channel in few places, getting it off the roofing material was a job, not wanting to cut the material with the chisel was delicate, I ran the screws back down and considered putting in some extra but will wait and see, I wiped it all down with some Acetone and put 4 tubes of Dicor back down to cover it, the slide is on the left side just behind that seam, got to wonder if that has something to do with it, had a neighbor asked me if I was sure it was ok to walk on the roof of my coach, I said well they put that ladder on the back of the coach for a reason