Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20K
State: Texas
THOR #28198
Upgrading Solar Panels

Does anyone have any experience upgrading the solar capacity on their van?

I'm in a 22 Thor Tellaro with 200ah lithium and a 190w solar panel. It looks like the Go Power GP-PWM-30-SQ solar charge controller can handle up to 30 amps.

What would be involved in either swapping out the existing solar panel or adding more panels?

Old 10-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Given that you have a PWM Go Power controller tells me that you have a nominal 12V 190 watt panel rather than a 24V panel. You can easily wire another 12V 190W or even the more common 200 watt panel in series with the existing panel and use the existing wiring down to the controller. This results in a higher voltage but not a higher current which is good if the existing one is wired to the controller with a 10 gauge cable. You want to minimize the voltage drop which will double if you wire them in parallel but stay the same if wired in series.

But you do have to upgrade to an MPPT controller. You would have to replace the controller anyway because 380 watts is too much for the Go Power 30A controller. The Renogy Rover 40A, about $111 on Amazon is a good choice.

Wire the controller to the batteries with bigger cable than it has right now, again to minimize voltage drop. Use at least #6 cable if it is less than a 10' run.

David
Old 10-26-2022, 01:00 PM   #3

Model: Tellaro 20K
State: Texas
THOR #28198
Every time I learn something, I realize how little I know. lol

Thanks David for the information!
Old 10-26-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
X 2!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:15 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Given that you have a PWM Go Power controller tells me that you have a nominal 12V 190 watt panel rather than a 24V panel. You can easily wire another 12V 190W or even the more common 200 watt panel in series with the existing panel and use the existing wiring down to the controller. This results in a higher voltage but not a higher current which is good if the existing one is wired to the controller with a 10 gauge cable. You want to minimize the voltage drop which will double if you wire them in parallel but stay the same if wired in series.

But you do have to upgrade to an MPPT controller. You would have to replace the controller anyway because 380 watts is too much for the Go Power 30A controller. The Renogy Rover 40A, about $111 on Amazon is a good choice.

Wire the controller to the batteries with bigger cable than it has right now, again to minimize voltage drop. Use at least #6 cable if it is less than a 10' run.

David
This is the guy I listen to when I'm doing any electrical work on my RV... GOOD STUFF!
Old 12-03-2022, 10:17 AM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #28560
I’m adding 600w and a 100/50 Mppt, factory wiring safe enough to handle this? I can live with voltage drop just want to be safe.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #7

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgia View Post
I’m adding 600w and a 100/50 Mppt, factory wiring safe enough to handle this? I can live with voltage drop just want to be safe.
Since you are not the OP, I assume that the total solar panel wattage is 600. How many? Nominal 12V or nominal 24V?

The 10 gauge typical roof to controller wiring is capable of handling 60 amps, which will be safe with your 600 watts of panels even if they are 12V nominal all wired in parallel. But the voltage drop will be big, about 2 volts. Better to wire them in series/parallel. If you have six 100 watt panels, you can wire three each in series and then the two sets in parallel. That will significantly reduce the voltage drop. But be careful about the total voltage. You are getting up to 60+ volts open circuit with three 12V panels in series.

David
Old 12-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #8

THOR #28560
Thank you, (3)200w panels in series 12v. I found in the specs Thor says it’s 10 awg roof to mppt to battery. Careful about voltage so I don’t get hurt or for the van? Thanks again.

Currently in parallel 21V and 9.5A, but everything I read says I need to up the volts by series and upgrade from 100/30 to 100/50 Mppt.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:05 PM   #9

THOR #20289
Well, three 200 watt, 12V panels in series should give about a half a volt of voltage drop in the 10 gauge cable. The voltage at the controller terminals should be about 50 V in normal operation. High but not really dangerous.

David
Old 12-03-2022, 04:20 PM   #10

THOR #28560
DavidEM I appreciate your input.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:09 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Maine
THOR #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyingTurtle View Post
Does anyone have any experience upgrading the solar capacity on their van?

I'm in a 22 Thor Tellaro with 200ah lithium and a 190w solar panel. It looks like the Go Power GP-PWM-30-SQ solar charge controller can handle up to 30 amps.

What would be involved in either swapping out the existing solar panel or adding more panels?
https://hqsolarpower.com/190-watt-12...aAn-HCuqGe9pu4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753X68PS...73536993643681

Get new brackets for existing panels as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7jDhfy4L_DZzE0
Old 12-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #12

THOR #28560
I ditched the 190w GoPower and Winegard antenna, added (3) 200w Grape panels, a Victron 100/50 MPPT and a Victron CerboGX. All hooked up and I have the Victron talking to the BMPro so I can still see my solar displayed on the BMPro screen. I am not sure what output is yet, finished late in day. I can also remote in to Victron, see location of coach and all solar battery data, as well as see the BMPro. Thanks for help above.