Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sanctuary 19L
State: Michigan
THOR #24335
Water leak behind bathroom sink 2022 19L

I posted a reply on this topic on another thread but figured it deserved its own because it involves water. I have a job ahead of me to figure out how to fix the water leak in the bathroom sink exit area. If the drop down sink fills up and you lift it to drain it, the water filling the drain area leaks down behind the wall and into the cassette toilet area and even in the water heater area under the bench seat. Kind of a big problem because all of the areas needed to be sealed are difficult to access. It is clear the leak is at the union area of the wall sink and the exterior cover. Bad design and bad installation. Something for folks to test and look at with your bathroom sinks.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #2

THOR #22979
Leak

Any way you could post a picture showing the problem area? Thanks
Old 10-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
I am not sure I follow /understand were you have a leak, but I'll take a look at mine to see what happens.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #4

THOR #24335
I will definitely document all items of this situation. Unfortunately, the RV is in the shop for an oil change and Mercedes recalls. Otherwise, I would post pics right now. Basically, there appears to be two plastic frames that are joined together; the back of the drain including the actual drain and the front wall which includes the hinged sink. At that joint, which is forward of the drain all along the front edge and sides of the drain area, there is something not sealed properly. The area that seems worst is the side of the drain area most forward to the vehicle and at the bottom. You can open the cassette toilet door and look up and see the backside of the area I am speaking. When you fill the sink with water and dump it in the drain, water comes out the back side of the area as viewed by looking up in the cassette toilet outer door.

I will send pics when the unit comes back and hopefully have more insight as to what is missing and a fix.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:39 AM   #5

THOR #22773
Old 10-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

THOR #22979
Water leak

I recently had ankle surgery so limited in ability to inspect the sink drain area but I could feel a seam along junction between drain section and the wall behind toilet. Unable to see what kind of seal there is or if it leaks until I can get someone to help me remove access panel. It would seem to be another Thor weak design element on this bathroom. My sequence 20L is different than your to some degree but this bathroom sink piece would appear to be common to all of us who have a B class from Thor. Remember Thor stands for: This Has Ongoing Repairs.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #7

THOR #24335
Apologize for the delay in the pictures, just got the RV back from the dealer. Upon initial investigation, there looks to be something seriously wrong in the design or installation. It appears that sink back is installed completely wrong.
There are two large holes on both sides of the lower sink area that seems like a very clear exit for water to go. I don't really how I am going to seal it. It would be great if someone could post pictures of their sink area to see if there is any fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8790.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	34538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8786.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	34539  

Name:	IMG_8785.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	34540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8784.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	34541  

Old 11-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #8

THOR #22773
Here are a couple pics from my 2022 sanctuary. It appears that I have a deeper pocket for the water to fall into before exiting the side and I have a obvious seal along the bottom of the pocket to prevent the water from going between the sink and the wall.

However, I may decide to fill that side opening with some spray form insulation just is case and maybe add a better silicone seal around the bottom of the pocket and the wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	34617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	34618  

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	34619   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	34620  

Old 11-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

THOR #24335
Appreciate the pictures for sure! I would agree, there is a larger "sink depth" on yours. There must be some significant variability in the installation process. Seems very strange why a sink would have large exit holes on the sides. I think I am going to remove that wall and address the issue and will send pics of the back. Thank you again.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #10

THOR #22773
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_rvlife View Post
Appreciate the pictures for sure! I would agree, there is a larger "sink depth" on yours. There must be some significant variability in the installation process. Seems very strange why a sink would have large exit holes on the sides. I think I am going to remove that wall and address the issue and will send pics of the back. Thank you again.
I am also not seeing a seal in your pics making me think the water could go between the sink and the wall
Old 11-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

THOR #24335
Agreed, upon further investigation after these pics were taken, it looks like the two pieces were just put together with no sealing at all other than the drain. I hope this thread causes folks to closely investigate this area as the poor design along with potentially improper installation could cause a water leak that is behind a wall that could go unnoticed and cause serious damage. Keep all posted on my fix.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #12

THOR #13946
Leaks

Quote:
I posted a reply on this topic on another thread but figured it deserved its own because it involves water. I have a job ahead of me to figure out how to fix the water leak in the bathroom sink exit area. If the drop down sink fills up and you lift it to drain it, the water filling the drain area leaks down behind the wall and into the cassette toilet area and even in the water heater area under the bench seat. Kind of a big problem because all of the areas needed to be sealed are difficult to access. It is clear the leak is at the union area of the wall sink and the exterior cover. Bad design and bad installation. Something for folks to test and look at with your bathroom sinks.
You are going to in the next year will find a lot of little leaks , bathroom, kitchen sink. I would tighten up all plumbing that you can see. My outside compartment just rotted away. I heard one person lost his fresh water tank on the road. Thank you Thor
Old 11-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #13

THOR #13946
Quote:
You are going to in the next year will find a lot of little leaks , bathroom, kitchen sink. I would tighten up all plumbing that you can see. My outside compartment just rotted away. I heard one person lost his fresh water tank on the road. Thank you Thor
Old 11-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #14

THOR #13946
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLee View Post
I recently had ankle surgery so limited in ability to inspect the sink drain area but I could feel a seam along junction between drain section and the wall behind toilet. Unable to see what kind of seal there is or if it leaks until I can get someone to help me remove access panel. It would seem to be another Thor weak design element on this bathroom. My sequence 20L is different than your to some degree but this bathroom sink piece would appear to be common to all of us who have a B class from Thor. Remember Thor stands for: This Has Ongoing Repairs.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #15

THOR #22979
Water Leak

I was finally able to pull the access panel which allowed me to inspect under the toilet and floor section under sink. There was no evidence of leaks - no stains or water marks and the dust/build debris was not disturbed. This issue is on my list for attending to next spring when I pull it out of storage. Thanks for the heads up and pictures. Cheers
Old 11-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #16

THOR #22773
I did put some bathroom caulking around that inner seal as added insurance.