Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2022, 12:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #27065
Water System Sanitizing

I'm a newbie here in the RV world, and need some assistance with sanitizing my fresh water tank. I understand the process, and I know that you need to open the water heater bypass valve. That's the issue - it is very hard to determine where that valve is. The manual does not indicate the location and the manufacturers manual directs you back to the owners manual!
I own a 2022 THOR Sequence 20L. I have located the TRUMA heater (under bench)
but I am just not positive on which valve to open (bypass) and close (hot/cold).
Any help is appreciated!

Also, where is the drain plug to the water heater?

Old 06-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
So I have a Magnitude with a Girard Tankless water heater. The Truma should be very similar to the Girard and any tankless water heater.

First, there is no drain plug because it is tankless. It heats the water on demand by allowing water to run through copper tubing in a heat exchanger inside the unit.

Second, there should not be a Bypass Valve for a tankless water heater..... that is assuming that Thor plumbed it properly and did not install one. Schematics always show a Bypass valve but Bypass valves should never be installed for a tankless system.

I read one person with an Omni / Magnitude had their tankless plumbed with a Bypass valve incorrectly from the factory. Camping World winterized it using the typical procure for a tank-style water heater with a Bypass Valve. That left water in the copper lines inside the Girard and the lines burst over the winter and destroyed the tankless heater... and Camping World or Thor would not cover it... even though both were at fault.

So all that being said...... once you fill your fresh water tank with water and some bleach, drive around a bit to slosh it around in the tank. Then run all of your faucets to get the sanitizing solution though the lines. Turn on your Truma as you normally would and check to see if you are getting hot water. If you are, then the solution is running through the copper lines to sanitize the tankless heater.

Someone else with a Sequence and Truma should be able to confirm that your unit won't have a Bypass Valve.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #3

THOR #27065
Thanks so much for the info.

So I know my water heater is not tankless, and the problem is that if any of the bleach solution (when sanitizing the fresh water tank) runs through the water heater it can damage the heater.

The same would go for antifreeze if you were winterizing. All the manuals, etc say not to have anything but water in the water heater or it could be damaged.

Just trying to figure out the correct way to open the bypass valve.

Have a great day
Old 06-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy10 View Post
I'm a newbie here in the RV world, and need some assistance with sanitizing my fresh water tank. I understand the process, and I know that you need to open the water heater bypass valve. That's the issue - it is very hard to determine where that valve is. The manual does not indicate the location and the manufacturers manual directs you back to the owners manual!
I own a 2022 THOR Sequence 20L. I have located the TRUMA heater (under bench)
but I am just not positive on which valve to open (bypass) and close (hot/cold).
Any help is appreciated!

Also, where is the drain plug to the water heater?
When you say TRUMA heater" are you referring to the water heater or the furnace? TRUMA makes both but they do NOT make a water heater with a tank, they are "instant" water heaters.

OTOH they do make a "Combi" unit that is both a furnace and a water heater. It has a small (2.6 gallon) tank. Maybe that's what you have?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:09 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
If you can get to and see your water heater...and it's not tankless...you'll see a cold line running into the heater (blue) and a hot line running out from the other end of the heater (red). Just before the blue line runs into the heater there will be another line connecting the blue and the red together with a valve in the middle of it. That valve should be closed during normal operation and the valves on the blue and red line should be open. Reverse all 3 valves to bypass the water heater. All 3 of these valves are normally within 1 foot of the heater. You can also drain the heater from the outside by removing the plastic plug at the bottom.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:14 PM   #6

THOR #27065
Yes, thank you - that is exactly what I have! So do I have to worry about a bypass valve when sanitizing the fresh water tank? Or is this a non issue?

Appreciate any information you can give
Old 06-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #7

Model: Tellaro
State: Illinois
THOR #24062
Newbie myself, made a drawing of my waterlines in the 20K. Yours would be a little different but should give you what you need.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30516

Hope this helps somewhat
Old 06-19-2022, 10:14 PM   #8

THOR #27065
Thank you - I appreciate your input!
Old 06-28-2022, 01:03 AM   #9

THOR #27065
Smile

Think I got things worked out. Once you do it, it is not so daunting a task.

Appreciate everybodys info!