Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
Weird situation with power and AC

So I pull the 2022 Tellaro out of the garage and on to the driveway. I figure I'll exercise the 200 Ah Lithium system. They were at 80% charge. Engine off, I start the inverter and then turn on the AC. All good.

about 3 minutes in, I turned the microwave on for 30 seconds. Big amp draw but everything is running. Says the SOC is like 72%

All of a sudden, the Balmar meter flashes a big low voltage warning. Says the SOC is ZERO. The AC is still running and the inverter says it's inverting just fine. I let this go on for another minute. I've had problems with the Balmar meter and had to do the red disconnect fix to reset it.

I shut off the AC and turn on the engine. Turn back on the AC and it's now blowing only warm air. The Balmar is starting to climb to 3% SOC.

It is now plugged back into my garage shore power and the SOC is climbing back up.

Does the AC compressor not come on if the battery charge is too low? The AC fan was running.

What caused that drop in the SOC?? I have previously had the AC running on the driveway like this for at least a couple of hours.

All thoughts appreciated.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
My comment wont help you but I am glad I have a traditional RV with generator, batteries and invertor. This 'new' stuff has to go through it's growing pains before a company like Thor can start to use it effectively. Shoot, Thor has a hard enough time building an old fashioned RV, let alone one with modern technology.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:02 PM   #3

THOR #15205
Yes I agree.

I'm fairly sure it's the Balmar unit. Plugged into shore power and SOC says 38% and the inverter says float.

Keefer - I agree. In THEORY, the Lithiums should provide you the ability to run 120V appliances when you cannot run a generator. Like during quiet hours in a campground.

But the application of this technology is still too new.

The AC is blowing cold(er) now too so I'll let it ride for now.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #4

Model: 2022 Sanctuary
State: Florida
THOR #26179
There may be circuitry to not let the Compressor on the A/C unit to start under low Voltage or the Compressor will just not start at a low Voltage . The Inverter may even have something to do with it also with protection circuitry for output You could also have defective Batteries & as you pointed out , it may be the Balmar Panel , maybe for some reason it was not up to date on Battery charge % .
Old 09-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
I don't have the same setup as yours since I have the Onan but as I recall there is a warning in the manual about trying to run the microwave while the A/C is running or vice versa. Simply not enough power to do both at the same time on a 30 amp system and 3000 watt inverter with the startup requirements of the A/C. As I recall, the manual states the A/C will automatically shut down if you do that.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #6

THOR #15205
Yeah I could see that being a warning. Having both the AC and Microwave on was a HUGE draw.

Good point though, I already had the AC on when I turned on the microwave. Vice Versa probably would have tripped the breaker.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Depending on the timing, the AC may have been in its anti-recycle time out where it has to wait several minutes before restarting the compressor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:54 AM   #8

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Yeah I could see that being a warning. Having both the AC and Microwave on was a HUGE draw.

Good point though, I already had the AC on when I turned on the microwave. Vice Versa probably would have tripped the breaker.
If your rig was wired correctly (seems to be a big IF), the microwave is run through a current sensor that feeds into the BMPRo unit. If the A/C is running and it (BMPRo control unit) senses the microwave, it should shut off either the A/C or microwave. I'm afraid to try it in the camp ground, still shaking down this thing. I'll try it when I get back in the driveway.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #9

THOR #15205
Thanks Ron, interesting.

I would think though that the Lithium set up is intended to run everything you'd need all at once if you want....albeit for a short time of course.

That would explain the AC though for sure.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
Most 200 ah LiFePO4 batteries have a 100a max discharge rate. Some have a 200a max discharge BMS. That’s either 10 or 20 amps at 120vac. One LiFePO4 definitely isn’t going to run an a/c and mw at the same time. Your battery system doesn’t need “exercising”.
reminckv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #11

THOR #26907
Both the microwave and the Air Conditioner probably pull about 15 amps each. That would be 3600 watts (120x30) at 120 volt AC through the inverter on battery power. The inverter is only designed for 3000 watts max. The A/C is also going to pull even higher amps at "startup". I would not run both of these at the same time even if plugged in on the 30 amp plug. Ok to use each one independently but never at the same time and without some kind of circuitry protection would blow fuses. Hope that helps...

Robert
Old 09-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #12

THOR #15205
Great info thank you. I agree it was way too much.

And Thor told me the batteries needed to be discharged and recharged regularly. I'm in agreement they know little about their products.

But that's not true then?
Old 09-24-2022, 09:13 PM   #13

Model: Sequence 20L
State: California
THOR #26422
AC not cooling

We have a similar problem with the AC not cooling after the microwave has been turned on.
I must turn the main batteries off for a minute or so and turn them back on after the microwave is used. This is something about a reset of the BMPro to get the ac working again.
Apparently, there is a load shedding device that prevents the AC and microwave from operating at the same time (normal according to Thor).
What is not normal (according to Thor) is the reset of the BMPro.
Going back to LaMesa Davis CA. next week for the 2nd time to fix this feature.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:00 PM   #14

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #25231
A/C compressors typically have a time delay after they are shutdown to prevent immediate restart. That may be why the A/C didn't come back on right away.

And I too am glad I have a generator.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #15

THOR #26907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
Great info thank you. I agree it was way too much.

And Thor told me the batteries needed to be discharged and recharged regularly. I'm in agreement they know little about their products.

But that's not true then?
Lithium batteries should not need to be discharged and recharged the same as AGM. There is also no need to keep them fully charged or "float" charged as you would AGM batteries. As long as they are around 50-60% charge capacity they should be fine. I only fully charge them when going on a trip and need the extra capacity. They are more temperature sensitive however.