Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
What is Electric Stabilizer System

Looking online at a Thor Sprinter Chassis. Can someone tell me what is the electric stabilizer system?

Old 10-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
From a quick Google search, it appears to be a leveling system (jacks). Seems to be some debate as to whether or not to install them, as it’s a Mercedes based chassis and Mercedes says not to.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #8725
Electric stabilizers are just that. They keep the coach from rocking when parked. They do not have enough power to raise the coach. I have them on my Synergy and they work.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:32 AM   #4

Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgershg View Post
Electric stabilizers are just that. They keep the coach from rocking when parked. They do not have enough power to raise the coach. I have them on my Synergy and they work.
Thanks, how do you like your Synergy, what model did you purchase?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:38 AM   #5

THOR #8725
We have a SP24. The bed goes out the back of the coach. I like the synergy very much. There are the typical problems but nothing very serious. You will see a lot of complaints about Thor products but most are minor issues that are easily fixed either by you or the dealer. We are getting 15-16 mpg fully loaded. We did get the Summit Package and diesel generator.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:30 AM   #6

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:

Exactly. Mine can raise coach 2-4 inches. Quantum GR22
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Model: Thor Synergy TT24
State: Missouri
THOR #10247
Hi, We are waiting for delivery of Synergy TT24. I was wondering about the stabilization pads. Do you use some kind of padding or block underneath them like people do with their leveling systems?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If I'm understanding this correctly: A stabilizing system will just hold the rig in place, and keep it from rocking...

While a leveling system actually has the muscles behind it, to pick the rig up, and keep it level...

It sounds as if the leveling system would be a superior setup. Is there a reason for choosing the stabilizing system instead?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly: A stabilizing system will just hold the rig in place, and keep it from rocking...

While a leveling system actually has the muscles behind it, to pick the rig up, and keep it level...

It sounds as if the leveling system would be a superior setup. Is there a reason for choosing the stabilizing system instead?
Because it comes with the coach.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #10

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
a discussion on Sprinter leveling system install. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33915

At 30,000 miles and 2-1/2 years have not needed leveling system. On occasion I have used the "Lego" blocks" without any hassle. No added weight and spare tire is not blocked.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Our Gemini, also on the Sprinter chassis came with no stabilizers, no jacks. I added an HWH auto leveling system, designed for the Sprinter chassis. Its all bolt on, so no drilling or welding on the frame. HWH systems are designed so the jacks always work in pairs, so as to not tweak the frame during leveling.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:58 AM   #12

Model: Thor Synergy TT24
State: Missouri
THOR #10247
Quote:
We have a SP24. The bed goes out the back of the coach. I like the synergy very much. There are the typical problems but nothing very serious. You will see a lot of complaints about Thor products but most are minor issues that are easily fixed either by you or the dealer. We are getting 15-16 mpg fully loaded. We did get the Summit Package and diesel generator.
I should have been clearer:

We have a Synergy on order. It will have stabilizers, not levelers, already installed. I was wondering if rodgershg uses some sort of pad under the stabilizer legs like are used for levelers. Since they are not holding so much weight, are they necessary? or maybe it is unadvised . . .
Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sure can't hurt to use them...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #14

THOR #8725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinDee View Post
I should have been clearer:

We have a Synergy on order. It will have stabilizers, not levelers, already installed. I was wondering if rodgershg uses some sort of pad under the stabilizer legs like are used for levelers. Since they are not holding so much weight, are they necessary? or maybe it is unadvised . . .

I use support under the levelers based on the ground conditions. Wet and muddy yes, dry and solid no.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Our Four Winds 24F came with electric rear stabilizers. Not a normal thing to see on a class C. You are correct...they keep the coach from rocking as you move about inside as the 24F has a full side slide. It is not a leveler, but one reason we opted for this model was horrendous previous experience with leveling jacks. Use the legos for small leveling issues, stabilizers down, slide out and you're set. A larger rig...sure get the leveling jacks.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #16

THOR #5821
If you are on a concrete or hard site, you shouldn't need pads under jacks or stabilizers. If you are on soft ground, or a grassy site, pads under the jacks are a necessity.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:50 AM   #17

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
If you are on a concrete or hard site, you shouldn't need pads under jacks or stabilizers. If you are on soft ground, or a grassy site, pads under the jacks are a necessity.
Yeah, kinda back in my 'dirt bike' days. Get a bear can and put it under your kickstand. Also good for on hot asphalt too.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #18

Model: Synergy
State: South Carolina
THOR #10163
Leveling system would be superior. I tried to have a Bullseye system installed on a 2017 TT24, but the front driver side leg wouldn't fit. I visited the Tiffin Wayfarer plant in Winfield Al this last month and saw them installing a leveling system on their units. I've got my RV Dealer looking into the same system for my Synergy TT24.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #19

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL0301 View Post
Leveling system would be superior. I tried to have a Bullseye system installed on a 2017 TT24, but the front driver side leg wouldn't fit. I visited the Tiffin Wayfarer plant in Winfield Al this last month and saw them installing a leveling system on their units. I've got my RV Dealer looking into the same system for my Synergy TT24.
If you are on the Sprinter chassis, the HWH leveling system fits. I have that installed on mine.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I remember the days with my old 31' 1987 Prowler when leveling systems and stabilizer jacks didn't exist. You just carried a few chunks of wood and drove up on them. Most CG's these days are pretty level and it doesn't matter if you're off a degree or two. All this stabilizer/jack crap is over-hyped and over engineered. I think they cause more stress cracking and leaks than they do good. Thinking about removing the two front on my rig as they are only a few inches from the ground.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote