Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2022, 12:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: Arizona
THOR #15205
So I got the tire mounted. I am still working on the proper bolting of the wheel to the hitch carrier. Just an issue with this wheel matching the Curt carrier I got.

I deliberately chose an affordable route to the hitch spare carrier. I think it was $117 on Amazon. I will post pics and parts at the end.

Jury is still out on whether that will prove to be a bad idea. This wheel is pretty heavy and a bit unwieldy. I'm 6'3" and 235. It's not too much for me, but no joke either. Not at all too heavy for the hitch though. Nothing like that. Maybe 80-90 pounds? My intention is to just pull the whole thing out of the hitch when I want to open the back doors. And lift it back into the hitch when it's time to hit the road. Yep my wife said "We'll see" too.....

All the hinged carriers I've found don't look strong enough to leave me comfortable driving down the road. At this point I'm not looking at the $1500 price range for a custom swing out job.

I went full size spare because the whole purpose was to continue my trip. A small spare would be lighter, but still changes the trip to deal with the bad tire immediately.

We'll see how it all goes.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:15 PM   #22

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I have the same carrier but I prefer the tire inside the left rear cubby on my 24.1.
I have the carrier because 'I serve me' and if I ever need that cubby room, I can instantly switch to the carrier.(for that hitch carrier you'll want a 'hitch silencer,' you need to buy lugbolts/nuts and press them in, and I bought a tire cover. My 24.1 uses jeep stock size tires so there are a gazillion covers available. AND Put one lllooonnng rod in that carrier so you can slide the spare onto it. It's a LOT easier than trying to hook it on a short threaded stud.)

My only concern(because I'm your size of a guy) is manhandling the knife sharp potential blowout. I can get one off and on but I might have to wrap that blow out in a towel to pick it up and remount.

And
Next week I'll be posting about my new 5 ton jack that only weighs 10 pounds.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #23

THOR #15205
So after much consideration, I'm going with the HitchGate Solo XL carrier that swings out. It's $1300+ all in, but in the scheme of what you pay for the RV.....

I had the Curt hitch mount and it would have worked....if the wheel weren't so heavy. I should have calculated what it would be. I would have had to take the tire mount off the Tellaro and set it aside every time I wanted to stop and open the back doors.

Plus, what was said here is correct....there would have been a lot of jumping around to contend with without a hitch stabilizer. All just more hassle than I was interested in.

I'm sure there are a lot of swing type mounts. I'm not saying Hitchgate is better than any other.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #24

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Even something as common as a tire change becomes a big deal when you move into RV'ing.

This is all great discussion. Really helpful insight for us newer greenhorn types.
Thank You!

PS looking forward to that 5 ton jack.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #25

THOR #15205
You're welcome! And I'm not shy about admitting a mistake or different direction. Trial and error.

I will report on the hitch when I get it.

The tire and wheel went perfectly. You can get the OEM rim and tire off amazon.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Have you looked at the Roadmaster 195225? Pretty pricey at about $600 but it’s way over engineered and super easy to use. They show up regularly on eBay and such for considerably less. I’d sell mine for $500 if anyone came by the Indianapolis area and wanted it.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:45 AM   #27

THOR #15205
It always amazes me that you can search high and low for a type of product and never see the very cool one that someone comes along and recommends.

That looks interesting. The only issue with the Tellaro/Sequence etc types of RVs is that the doors swing outward and are taller....so the tire has to swing outward, out of the way of the door.

I'm one of those people who imagines their spare tire carrier coming off behind them on the freeway.....so you have to pay for quality. haha
Old 04-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #28

THOR #15205
Wrap up

So here is the wrap up to my adventure getting a spare. The first 2 pictures are the option with the Curt mount and hitch extender so the tire didn't hit the bike rack. The whole thing had problems. Wobble would have been a huge one, even with the hitch clamp etc. And removing/replacing the spare whenever we wanted to open the door....forget it.

The bottom 2 are the Wilco Solo XL. The XL is important for the distance it will swing out for the doors. $1300 but such a mount is the only real option. I am very impressed with the Solo XL. It is solid and stable. Swings out nicely. Wasn't easy to install but I can answer any questions.

So I had good initial intentions, but came around to what really needs to happen.

Thanks for the advice and assistance along the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old1.JPEG
Views:	76
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	37043   Click image for larger version

Name:	old2.JPEG
Views:	84
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	37044  

Name:	new1.JPEG
Views:	94
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	37045   Click image for larger version

Name:	new2.JPEG
Views:	98
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	37046  

Old 09-19-2022, 11:23 PM   #29

State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
I'm feeling lucky, I have a living room's worth of space under the unit with no generator (2023 20L).

I might be able to mount the OEM Ram spare winch (eBay <$100).

Just need to move the propane line over a bit.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220919_172439.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	39510  
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:29 PM   #30

THOR #15205
Don't you have Lithiums? I have a 2022 20L with Lithiums and don't have room underneath for a spare.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:59 PM   #31

THOR #27874
Yep, that's a view toward the front, the 2 batteries are just in front of the axle.

More or less just behind my fat head taking the pic.

No generator.

I could put all manner of stuff under there.

Ron
Old 02-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #32

State: Utah
THOR #27186
dg0603 thanks for sharing all of this!! I decided to go with your same setup.

I'm now curious if you're still able to use the bike rack or if like mine hits the spare tire before completely unfolding? Is it feasible to move the entire bike rack up a few inches on the door? There appears to be enough room to do so, just wondering if it would compromise the safety of it in any way.

Thanks, Cheryl
Old 02-11-2023, 04:04 PM   #33

THOR #15205
Howdy Cheryl,

The bike rack does hit the spare tire. It doesn't come down the whole way. For us it wasn't an issue as we don't haul bikes.

I'm sure the rack can be moved up safely if you need to. People around here do all kinds of stuff.

Thank you for the compliment and it was absolutely a critical upgrade for us, once I investigated what it meant to get stuck without a spare. I got everything necessary to change the tire myself from Amazon, in case my roadside assistance is unavailable. I carry it right under the bed in storage.

We have wide open roads in AZ so you can get stuck far from help.

Good luck to you!
Old 02-11-2023, 06:59 PM   #34

THOR #27874
There is an entire Amazon category dedicated to devices to hang a tire from underneath (and other places)...might take a few other parts (plate/bolts ect.)

With all the room I have, sans the generator, many of these could work.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spare+tir...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 02-12-2023, 01:04 PM   #35

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Why I'm getting a full sized spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post
So here is the wrap up to my adventure getting a spare. The first 2 pictures are the option with the Curt mount and hitch extender so the tire didn't hit the bike rack. The whole thing had problems. Wobble would have been a huge one, even with the hitch clamp etc. And removing/replacing the spare whenever we wanted to open the door....forget it.

The bottom 2 are the Wilco Solo XL. The XL is important for the distance it will swing out for the doors. $1300 but such a mount is the only real option. I am very impressed with the Solo XL. It is solid and stable. Swings out nicely. Wasn't easy to install but I can answer any questions.

So I had good initial intentions, but came around to what really needs to happen.

I can find for just around $1100 now. I think this is gonna be the way I go. How is it working out? Would you still endorse it? Did you have to move your license plate? Thanks
Old 02-12-2023, 02:14 PM   #36

State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
The only other option we found was this. Installed near Tampa Fl in about an hour while I waited and similar price including the tire. My wife wanted to be able to use the trailer hitch and the already installed bike rack and this allows. It is a simple install but this company has done many of them and we were close so wanted them to do it and have had not problems so far.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...e+tire+carrier
Old 02-12-2023, 04:21 PM   #37

State: Utah
THOR #27186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg0603 View Post

I also very much appreciate the advice and assistance you all have given on this topic

I went with this Wilco Solo XL setup also. I found a stock rim off ebay for a great price and a new stock tire on Walmart's marketplace (cheaper than Amazon & local dealers).

First impressions is the setup is solid and was easy to install. No regrets with spending a little extra $ for the quality and piece of mind. I am not planning to move the license plate, unless I'm asked to.

My concern with an undermount solution was depending on the circumstances, with the van's low clearance, I might not be able to get the spare out from under it with a flat tire

Best luck to all!!
Cheryl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spare.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	40836  
Old 02-12-2023, 05:30 PM   #38

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Illinois
THOR #28919
Why I'm getting a full sized spare

Rigid Armor makes one very similar but doesn’t cover the license plate. $1200. Looks like it sits even with the bumper so would be out of way of bike rack.