Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Arizona
THOR #14425
Send a message via Skype™ to JimSpy
Exclamation Winterizing Girard Tankless WH

I'm sure this is explained elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I want to use the air compression method to blow excess water out of my Girard Tankless Water Heater, but I don't have a clue where to hook up my compressor. If someone can explain in detail, for instance, is there a valve I need to open? One I need to shut? And where do I insert the compressor hose?

Thanks for any info - I'm trying to do this right now, in the rain and the dark. Have mercy.

PS: If there's a video.....?

Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
JimSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #2

Model: Tiburon
State: Utah
THOR #20618
When blowing out the lines and you open each hot faucet it’s blowing through the hot water unit as well so my assumption is that is sufficient. My understanding in reading the manual it mentioned 2 methods air or antifreeze since it said or I went with air as being sufficient. I have a friend who swears by doing both, I believe air should be sufficient. I’ll know when we head south later after the freeze if I’m right or not!
Old 11-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #3

THOR #14425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 714Greg View Post
When blowing out the lines and you open each hot faucet it’s blowing through the hot water unit as well so my assumption is that is sufficient. My understanding in reading the manual it mentioned 2 methods air or antifreeze since it said or I went with air as being sufficient. I have a friend who swears by doing both, I believe air should be sufficient. I’ll know when we head south later after the freeze if I’m right or not!
YEs, we decided on the compressor method, because the manual said it was sufficient. I just need to know where the air goes in.

There's this little translucent rubber hose bit, it makes a 90° into the inlet assembly, is that where I put my compressor hose?
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
Old 11-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #4

THOR #14425
And you say open each hot water faucet. I have three that I know of, the shower, the bathroom sink, and the kitchen sink. There is no water, of course, I've drained the fresh tank. So I just open those faucets and put them in the hot water....position?
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
Old 11-09-2020, 01:04 AM   #5

THOR #20618
Jim I’m not an expert by any means but the air you blow through the lines goes where the water was including the hot water unit. So my theory when you open each of the hot water faucets that air is going through the hot water unit as well so in my humble opinion that is blowing out the unit. The first time I blew out mine I let the unit fire. Then I turned it off. I usually run through each faucet a couple times just for good measure . They suggest you leave the faucets open to allow for expansion of any residual water.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:07 AM   #6

THOR #14425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 714Greg View Post
Jim I’m not an expert by any means but the air you blow through the lines goes where the water was including the hot water unit. So my theory when you open each of the hot water faucets that air is going through the hot water unit as well so in my humble opinion that is blowing out the unit. The first time I blew out mine I let the unit fire. Then I turned it off. I usually run through each faucet a couple times just for good measure . They suggest you leave the faucets open to allow for expansion of any residual water.
Thank you for that.

Still looking for where that air goes in, though. I'm betting it's that little rubber pigtail or whatever, but I'll wait for more advice.
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
Old 11-09-2020, 01:13 AM   #7

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
There may be other options - but I have an adapter (just check amazon for rv air blowout adapters - there are lots of options). Mine is like this - https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...ef=sr_1_2_sspa

Hook it up where the city water hose is connected. Make sure your compressor is set lower than 55 PSI (so you don't blow your lines). While compressor is running, go to each faucet and open it until air blows through. Do both the hot and cold lines. Don't forget the toilet and outside shower if you have one.

And that should do everything - including the hot water tank. I always make sure there's antifreeze in the drains so any water in the trap won't freeze. And I also open all the taps (not the toilet) after I turn the compressor off. That way, any water that may have been missed will have room to expand.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #8

THOR #20618
I’m assuming you are blowing out all your faucets, you want your compressor to be blowing air through each faucet one by one. When you blow air through your system it is going through where the water goes in the unit when you open the hot faucet . The manual makes no mention of blowing out at the unit just the water lines hooked to it.
One item I almost missed was blowing air through my black tank flush line if you have one you might want to do that.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:43 AM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have winterized the Girard (and the coach) by hooking up my compressor to the city water port using my oil-less compressor, set the pressure to 45psi and then open every every faucet for both hot and cold as the toilet water line.

I’ve never had an issue doing it this way.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo
State: Maryland
THOR #20301
Depending on the model of mh, you probably have an outside shower that needs to be blown out and perhaps disconnecting water to fridge and washer if you have one. I blow air into toilet by flushing air a few times.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:52 AM   #11

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
No one seems to be answering your question of how you get the air into the coach's pipes. The secret is the adaptor for the air. Mine is a plastic male hose fitting that has a short stem on top just like the tires do. It screws into the female hose fitting for water input to the coach ( I have a Jayco Precept Motorhome) My compressor has a lock on fitting which clips onto the stem of the little plastic fitting that screws into the female fitting on the water input to the coach. Which ever set up you have for city water is where the little fitting goes. That's how you get the air into the pipes of the coach. I hope that helps. I don't have a picture. The little air to female hose thread is very innexpensive. I have several of them in the RV tool box.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #12

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
You need a Camco RV blow out plug. Drain your fresh tank, then run the pump dry. Close all faucets. Set the air compressor to 50-60 psi, air the the water system to 50 psi, go inside and flush each plumbing device. The city water inlet is a one way valve, so it's like putting air in a tire. I did this by myself and three air ups to blow the water out. Don't forget outside shower. I use a wet/dry vacume to empty the drains. Then drain and flush your tanks. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36104-Plastic-Blow-Plug/dp/B0006JLW3E
Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Winterizing Girard Tankless WH

Be sure to use a tankless compressor or filter your air. Most tanks have rust, oil or dirt in them that you don’t need in your water system. You need a pretty stout compressor to move the necessary volume of air.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 23tb
State: Georgia
THOR #16970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpy View Post
Thank you for that.

Still looking for where that air goes in, though. I'm betting it's that little rubber pigtail or whatever, but I'll wait for more advice.
The air goes in the same plastic fitting that you hook your city water to. I don't see anyone telling you to be sure to open the two valves that drain the water from the lowest point first. Then blow it out, I leave all valves open because there will be moisture in the lines.