Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2022, 06:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #28291
Winterizing the Tranquility 19L

Hi all,
I just found this forum today, but have had my 19L for over a year. I went searching for information on how to winterize it, and came up with very little, so I came up with the attached documentation. No guarantees on anything with it, although a guy at La Mesa did look at it and make a couple of comments. I'd appreciate any feedback or comments.
Thanks, Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to winterize a Thor Tranquility 19L.pdf (676.5 KB, 199 views)

Old 10-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Opinions and preferences vary... but as a final step some folks use the suction fitting of the water pump to fill the water supply lines (Pex) with pink RV antifreeze. It's purely optional, but ensures that all points which water may have reached are protected from expansion from freezing.

Pros of antifreeze are extra insurance. Cons are that it takes considerably longer to dewinterize because of extra flushing. It is non-toxic... but has an unpleasant smell and taste.

Many folks have never used antifreeze with no issues. It all depends on how confident you are that you got ALL the water out when blowing out the lines.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #28291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
some folks use the suction fitting of the water pump to fill the water supply lines (Pex) with pink RV antifreeze
Ugh, I did that once with our previous Class B (Pleasureway Excel RD 2005) and could never get the awful flavor/taste out of the lines after that. I can see the advantage of knowing that even if there's liquid in the lines, you're protected, but the downside of the smell and taste massively outweighs that, for me. So, for me, the pink stuff only goes in the drains...
Old 10-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
If you bypass your tank type WH or if you have a tankless type, I find that the antifreeze taste flushes out rather quickly.

David
Old 10-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #5

Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
I am in a moderate area also (North Carolina) and prefer not to use the antifreeze for reasons already mentioned and never had any issues with my class A. We do get some temperatures here in the "teens" and occasionally lower. I would just blow out the lines with a bicycle pump and the water inlet fitting attachment and open the low point drains. I would drain the water heater but can't do that with the Tellaro given the Truma installation. There is a simple way to drain the Truma however by opening the valve. I have always left a space heater inside and monitor temperatures in case things get a little too cold. Will probably use a similar setup on the Tellaro. I can keep it plugged in at my house which makes it easier. There is also a simple way to bypass the water filter using a connection hose and may do that as well but havn't fully decided if that is necessary. Will likely use it during the winter months and don't really want to winterize/dewinterize every time. We also have the heat pads installed but not sure how effective those are but generally keep the tanks empty anyway.

Tags
tranquility, winterization